Supermax Super Stainless - The Indian Personna Red?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shave Fu, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Hello all. I finally found my last "dull" blade to hoard. 1st shave this morning. Supermax Super-Stainless blue box (because i read there are other colours too). A humble blade, being sold for 10.40 for 200 blades in my local fav store, but at 6.4EUR for 200 at my local Amazon (it's probably the only blade sold directly by my Amazon).

My previous shave, was with Personna Red. In the "focus" thread, i had written that this was the most balanced blade i have used, but i didn't like the fact that i felt it too rigid. As soon as i started shaving with Supermax , i thought "this is so similar to Personna Red". I was amazed! I was searching for a "low sharpness" blade, sharper than Derby, but not higher than Personna Red and cheap, to pair to Shark SS and Derby, for my "low sharpness, low nick risk, careless shave" blades.

THIS IS IT! It's sharper than Derby and Shark and it's very forgiving. It's like a "mini-Personna Red". It's very balanced for me. It's not as sharp or as smooth as Personna Red, but it's just as balanced, just a hair down in sharpness and smoothness, but it is more forgiving. At some point, i made a dumb newb manouver and applied much pressure to the cheeck. I thought "this is it! Prepare to see now a straight line of blood, slowly sipping out of the clean, direct cut". And...NOTHING. NOTHING. I wasn't cut! It's also rigid like Personna Red, but, again, a bit less, which for me, it's a plus. The packaging is a humble cardboard box, with 10 blades tightly packed in there and double wrapper for each blade. But, who cares! I will keep empty plastic Derby tucks and transplant them there when time comes!

I dare say, that this is in a better blade than Shark SS. I like Shark SS, it has a "rustic feeling", an audio feedback when it cuts, very forgiving, very smooth WTG, but Supermax, is better ATG, because it cuts easier.

PLUS, at 6.40EUR per 200, IT HAS NO RIVAL! IT'S A STEAL! 200 Personnas are sold for 23 EUR here. If i were to make a blind test, i am not sure i would be able to tell the difference with Personna Red for my skin and my beard... A better lather could fool me! Yes, Personna Red, is a better blade. But for my needs, just a hair better, certainly not worthing the money difference. I got a mix of BBS and DFS. Personna Red gave me a better shave, but today i was a bit sloppier and anyway, i do always repasses in every pass, according to instinct, so i can't compare 100% all shaves. I believe that insisting, this can shave just as well as Personna Red did. Today it was a bit less of a close shave. But i could have done better with repasses. 0 nicks, 0 irritation, 0 weepers. Very safe blade. Derby, Shark and this one, i could probably shave drunk and not cut myself. The difference is that with Derby, you may drop on the floor before you finish the 15 repasses. Shark and this one will finish the job before that. :happy097:

Needless to say, i just ordered 400 SuperMax SS Blues from Amazon for 13 EUR... Like i said, a steal... :rah:

I write the following comparison guide for people who may arrive here googling:

- If you find Derby's cutting power barely acceptable or just outright hideous.
    - If you like Shark SS.
    - If you search an ultracheap (depending on your country's prices), very comfortable, medium sharpness blade, as forgiving as Shark SS, to add to your rotation, give this blade a try. It may surprise you.
    - If you are Blackbeard the Pirate, with a barbwire beard that looks like a bush and Perma-Sharps or Feathers are the blade you find comfort in, this is probably not for you. I have tough beard, light to intermedium density and i like for sharp blades: Astra SP, Dorco ST301 and for duller blades: Shark SS and now SuperMax Super Stainless (blue box). I can also use Derby, but only because i am a patient person and don't mind multiple passes in my Weishi.

EDIT: As to how many shaves you get per blade, i have no idea and frankly, at this price, i don't care. I don't plan on shaving with ANY blade more than 3 times, unless it happens to have some exceptionally good blade, which out of curiocity may lead me to attempt a 4th. 2-3 shaves is all i search in a blade and i am pretty sure this one can give at least a 2nd one.

P.S.: I am always love more with my Weishi: Excellent results with many different blades!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    George X, DaltonGang, RyX and 3 others like this.