Tabac? Not for me

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by poppi, Mar 30, 2009.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Recently made a trade with Chris (kicker245) that went very well. In that trade I received a brand spanking new tub of Tabac soap. I had heard so much about it that I could barely wait to use it. Nice looking package, let's open it quick!

So I opened it up and the scent just about made me gag! To me, it's a horrible aroma! I just can't bring myself to open the tub again, let alone use the darn stuff. How do you Tabac users do it?? UGH!

Don't know if I want to chuck it, trade it or what.

2. azshaver

azshaver Member

Don't pitch it!!! Someone, maybe even me would love it.

3. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Don't pitch it go into the classifed section and offer it for trade or sale. I have a razor that I may offer for trade shortly in the classifieds.

4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Classified...hmmm, trade....hmmmm, good idea. It'll be there shortly

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

the Tabac scent takes some getting used to, I'll grant that.
    oddly enough, my first olfactory encounter (to my knowledge) with Tabac yielded a sense of familiarity, as if it was something I'd smelled before. It was familiar and seemed to bring back memories I couldn't quite fully recall. Yet, it still took me several attempts to fully appreciate it. Now I like it.
    WhyEmmEmmVee and all.....

6. Austin

Austin Member

Are you sure it wasn't Arko? :happy102

7. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Nope, I like Arko and use it regularly. This stuff (Tabac) is not for me, that's all I can say.

8. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

If you let your puck of Tabac sit out in the open for a few days, the scent seems to weaken a bit.

It's too bad you don't like it because it really does give an exceptional shave.

9. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

About the only thing I've ever heard anyone say bad about Tabac is the scent. I don't think I've ever read where the actual shave itself wasn't great. I do admit I wasn't taken with the scent at first, but now I love it. :rolleyes:

10. Austin

Austin Member

Agreed. The scent takes me back to my childhood.

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Guys either love Tabac, or they hate it, it seems.

12. Hiya,

Tried it twice and couldn't get past the scent.

Sad eh?
    Martin

13. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I love Tabac! The cologne on the other hand is tough to grasp onto. Very granny smelling? I will always have the soap in my rotation.

14. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I HATED the scent of Tabac at the beginning....and well...I really like it now.

15. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Every wet shaver should try a tallow based soap at least once. IMO they are the kings of the hill when it comes to "our" products. If Tabac doesn't do it for you give the Irisch Moos a try. Completely different scent; same shave results.

16. JimR

JimR Active Member

Me too, big time. It turns out, Tabac is a European copy of the original Old Spice, and the soap smells to my memory JUST LIKE my dad after he shaved and applied the Old Spice AS he always had on his dresser. Serious nostalgia.

17. Dink

Dink New Member

You should at least shave with it once. The lather and performance are outstanding. I loves the Tabac!

Cheers,
    David

18. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

This may be a bit late for this but a grab bag is starting up and you might get your name on the list and donate it to the grab bag when it comes around.

19. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Well boys and girls, the Tabac is going to a new home. Thanks for your input