Tabac vs Irisch Moos

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by maxpower, Apr 1, 2009.

1. maxpower

maxpower Member

I have been using Tabac for about a year now and it is my favorite soap as far as performance goes. I have the stick and the puck (with refills). I just purchased Irisch Moos sticks (and cream) and I assumed the sticks would perform the same as Tabac since they are both from Maurer & Wirtz. However, I am using my Irisch Moos stick this week and it seems to perform even better than Tabac.

Is this possible or is it my imagination?

Plus I like the scent better of Irisch Moos.

Thanks

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

Weellll....I don't know. I prefer IM to Tabac, but I can't say why...

They are both pretty good, and they are certainly closer than kissing cousins, but as for real differences in performance, I can't say....

Could it be a matter of age? Maybe your Tabac is older so it performs differently?

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I cant wait to eventually try this Irisch Moos. I really love my Tabac..so I have some expectations

4. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I love them both. Performance-wise, it's dead even. The only discernible difference in my opinion is the scent.

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

where are you guys picking it up from again?

6. sicklidz

sicklidz New Member

superlather.com has Irisch Moos. I just picked up my second stick, that stuff is awesome!

7. Truckman

Truckman New Member

you're in for a treat then....

+1

That's where I got mine....and you can also get a sample decant of the splash...that's good stuff, too. But fair warning - to me it doesn't smell anything like the stick. It is a good compliment, though.

For as much as I love my Tabac, not just in performance but in scent, I think I like the scent of IM better. Which is saying a lot, because I really, really loved the scent of Tabac. It took a short while to grow on me, but then I really grew to love it. To me, and I've heard others say so, too, IM smells like a combination of Irish Spring soap and Tabac...a couple of other scents thrown in to bring down the "brightness" of Irish Spring, though....

8. maxpower

maxpower Member

After I hit submit on my post, it occurred to me that the difference may be in the water. I live in Ohio but I am using my IM in Chandler, AZ this week. The water in Ohio is not soft but maybe it is at the hotel I am at. I didn't think of this before because I have traveled the world and I don't notice a difference in the performance of my soap. At least, not until this week. When I get back home, I will try the IM again to see if it really is the water.

As far as where to get it, I happen to be in Germany twice in the last month and I purchased it at a local store. I grabbed two sticks and one cream. I really am trying not to collect soaps but I gave in on this last trip. :)

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Well I picked some IM from Mark. Hope to be getting it next week.

10. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

I visit AZ periodically, and the water is always very, very soft. It could be the difference-maker, though I haven't tried either of these two products specifically in AZ...

11. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Same performance, IMO - boils down to taste in fragrance.

12. maxpower

maxpower Member

In that case, IM wins, hands down! However, I like the pucks better than the stick. I read on another post that they do not intend to make pucks of IM :(

13. sicklidz

sicklidz New Member

So grab the cheese grater and mill it into your favorite container. I have 2 sticks milled into an old German butter container I picked up from a member across the street.

[​IMG]

14. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I think they both smell funny.

15. thepugilist

thepugilist New Member

I have tried them both, but since I am relatively new, I couldn't really judge them as compared all the other stuff out there. I will say though that I really liked them both a lot.

16. maxpower

maxpower Member

I am going to do that but first with palmolive, then speick.

I will probably leave the Tabac and IM alone because they are great for traveling.

17. Truckman

Truckman New Member

It wasn't Tabac & IM v. Every Other Product... it's Tabac v. IM..... the Ultimate Ultimate Ultimate Ultimate Showdown! :rolleyes: :happy102 :happy102

18. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

Alright, you crazy kids convinced me, just ordered me bloody own Irish Moos. If it's as good as tabac, I'll be very happy :D

Steve

19. You'll be very happy.

It really does kind of boil down to the scent. But the IM seems a little more fresh to me because of the scent. The performance is... well, I don't have the shaving palate to distinguish them, but scent is important to me.

IM wins.

20. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Everybody has been raving so much about the IM that I ordered some. I just checked the shipping progress and it is now in my state. It might be at my door when I get home ready for tomorrow for a test run.