Ten Blades - How long will they last? (Focus with product determining time length)

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GDCarrington, Jan 26, 2015.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, I will start up yet another adventure for myself with the pack of 10 Gillette Stainless blades. I will use them exclusively until they are completely used up. I might use the same razor used or a different one with each new blade. This is a Focus in which the product determines the time period. I also head shave so one of my shaves may equal 2 to 3 of someone elses face only shave.

Now today 26 January is day number one. I will keep track of the blade changes along the way.

[​IMG]

Blade #1 - Shave #1

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    ObiDon, wristwatchb, dscaver and 6 others like this.
  2. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I am getting 10 very good shave from my 70's Gillette Super Stainess Spoilers..............so?

I will be watching.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Lets see what these now vintage blades (1991) from the Czech Republic do! I know what the 1970's Gillette Super Stainess Spoilers can do, so it will be interesting.

Bobcat likes this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Are you going to try and push it with each blade or swap once it starts getting tuggy or the shaves don't last as long?

I am sure I could get more out of blades in general, but stop after 3 or 4 shaves as the closeness and longevity of shave suffers.

45auto, LookingGlass and GDCarrington like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I bet you don't get over 4 from any of them, and that'll be pushing the comfort zone.

HoosierTrooper and GDCarrington like this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I will work with them until they are not easily usable. If they are slightly tuggy then they will make it through the entire shave then toss. Similiar to the DE Blade Challenge, but I will not be chasing BBS shaves.

Bobcat and PanChango like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'll be watching this thread.
    zinteresting.jpg

8. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Interesting test. I have two 10 packs of NOS Personna Chrome Platinum still sealed (not sure how old but the price tags say 59¢ each) that I am a little leery of trying out. This might talk me into it if it goes well for you.

CyanideMetal and GDCarrington like this.
  9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

You should try 'em. How much could go wrong for 59c?

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Ohhh nothing.... Nothing could possibly go wrong!

o-WHAT-COULD-GO-WRONG-facebook.jpg

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Obviously proper prep was not used! :happy102::happy097:

CyanideMetal and WhiskerWhacker like this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Shave for 27 January 2015

[​IMG]

Blade #1 - Shave #2

13. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I agree. I have a small stash of them thanks to a local Goodwill store and 3-4 is about the max I've got from them. Of course YMMV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. tardigrade

tardigrade New Member

You should be able to get a year out of that 10-pack.

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :eek:Maybe if you shave just once a week.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

What are your thoughts on razor selection and blade life?

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

In general or this specific selection?

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Does, in your experience, type TTO v 3pc or head design affect blade life? (I know this is complex question.)

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Really the major issues on blade life is how much exposure the blade has and the angle of cutting. The design type TTO or Multi-piece (2/3/4) is not the major factor.

Example Shavettes, 2011 R41, Nellite, Barbasols are extremely harsh on blade life because of the exposure. The angle in which the blade is applied also determines the rate of wear (shallow tends to be better).

The best razor I have used in terms of stretching a blade was the Darwin Standard I had on loan to me.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/testing-a-darwin-standard.30454/#post-533930

I hope this helps.

Bama Samurai and wristwatchb like this.
  20. tardigrade

tardigrade New Member

I think the R41 is harsh on blades but it also allows you to wring all the usable life out of the blade. I can use a blade for over ten days with the R41, but a milder razor simply wouldn't work for that long.

Bama Samurai and GDCarrington like this.