That's it, I've had it!!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Smoothy, May 23, 2012.

1. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Enough shopping that is, for the time being. I have just realized that, for a self-declared wet shaver wanting to keep a streamlined den, I’ve got more than enough razors, soaps, after shaves and definitely blades. I have just been hitting that ‘checkout here’ button way too often in the recent months. Before, I used to have 2 razors, at most 3, some of which were replaced by other models (I bought one I wanted to try and I sold one I was not fully convinced with). However, in the last 3 months, I have bought 6 new razors without really selling any. There was a 7th, for which I can honestly say that it replaced one I’ve sold.

I know, I know, whatever I might have is still far less than what many others here have hoarded collected in rotation. But my space at home is limited and I am also not a collector by nature. All the stuff I currently have, I like a lot, so I am not talking about getting rid of it. Sure, I have still razors on their way to me which I haven’t tried yet, so I reserve judgment on those. And variety is the spicy of life (especially when it comes to shaving soaps. And razors. And blades, of course. Can’t have razors without blades. Oh, and brushes, by the way too.… And so goes the blabla of excuses and justifications.

But, I was saying to myself last night (after having confirmed the purchase of a Merkur Vision 2000 as I was just itching to compare it to the Futur which I recently ordered AND WHICH I HAVEN’T EVEN RECEIVED YET!!! Am I mad?? No, just suffering from a recent bout of AD. :angry032::angry019:

No more AD, I say. :rolleyes005: (Sure, that has been said before by people with far more willpower than me...) Anyway, couple of other wet shaving colleagues of mine based in Europe have had similar thoughts in the last few days and we have, after a brief discussion, come to the conclusion that we will impose a no-buy rule on ourselves. Not binding in any formal way, this is purely between our very own conscience and ourselves. This self-imposed sabbatical is to last 12 months. First I wanted to target 7 months, from 1st June to 31st this year. But I was thinking “Why only 7? Why not a round dozen? I’ve got enough stuff to last that long”. So 12 months it is, effective today. Orders currently in transit are of course not included but new orders will not be placed. I should really focus on what I have and appreciate it. I should definitely enjoy the couple of Kilos (!!) of shaving soap I have before their shelf life expires.

I have managed to do the same (for a far shorter period of time, mind you) in regards to chocolate and other sweets. I can do this. I hope. I’ll let you know when I give in. Just nobody please tell me about these fantastic new razor or super Vintage you’ve recently come across. Don’t tempt me. Oh, and please no new iKon models, that might really test me…

I shall report back on how it’s going. In the meantime, I am of course still shaving and posting my experiences with the existing stuff as I go along.

tomnat, KLF and alpla444 like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I can understand that, Im kinda trying to cut down my own buying, there are only afew items more that I want (granted that is want and not need) as there are a few brushes I want to reknot, I suppose that comes under need rather than want:signs002:, as for razors the inlaws are coming over from Poland next month and they have 3 there waiting for me, and i have a cople that I want replating.
    And with moving house next month I kinda have to cut down or the GF will kill me

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think I will join you. Right after I get more injector blades (I only have 7) and wait for my current round of Ebay bids to expire.

Between the 10 razors, fifty blades, 1 bowl of soap, 4 soap pucks, 4 vintage shave mugs I found at Goodwill, and 3 brushes I bought last month and the 16 tubs of shave soap, 2 razors, and some more blades that I'm waiting to find in the post this week- I should be set for a while.

All of the above was purchased in a two month period.
    :sad027: all I was shopping for was a fatboy, feather blades and another tub of shave cream. I might have an addiction problem.

Soap has a shelf life?:shocked003:

Smoothy likes this.
  4. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I am beginning to think that wet shaving AD amongst men (& a few Ladies) , equals the shoes AD that most ladies & (a few men) have. Luckily, I have beaten all but the Aftershave/Cologne AD. I have wound up with 4 DE razors, 3 preferred blades, 3 brushes and 3 shave creams and ONE favorite soap (VDH DEluxe).

Where it comes to scents, well, that is a different beast. I have so many yet not enough. I think the more I read about, the more I want to try. Basenotes.net is my Bane, my crack, if you will. I tried removing it from my favorite places, only to adding it back 3 times. Good luck Brother, in your quest to quell the desires of the realm of wet shaving.

tomnat and Smoothy like this.
  5. Smoothy

Allegedly so, I am afraid.. Although, some seem to get better with age, which is what I am counting on. :)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Heh. I am also a member of basenotes. I live 25 miles from the world's largest perfume store, run by Chris Tsefalas in Portland, OR. He's a nose, and a member of the International Perfume Council...

THE PERFUME HOUSE

"Where can you find the world's most complete collection of chemical-free fragrances?Not in Paris or New York, but in Portland, Oregon, at the Perfume House. This boutique doesn't make its own scents, but it's a great antidote to those department-store-counter headaches.
    The International Perfume Council deems owner Chris Tsefalas one of the 26 best "noses" on earth, an honor earned only by those who can identify every essence in a spray of perfume before the mist hits the ground. His offerings range from fragrances by Jean Patou and the Paris classic D'Orsay to the more obscure Amouage, made in Oman. A frankincense-and-myrrh scent modeled after the Wise Men's gift to Christ, Amouage was delivered to the boutique by the sultan of Oman himself. After sitting proudly beside a display of the hand-cut crystal bottles for two full days, he headed home, feeling no need to take a detour to, say, Saks Fifth Avenue. After all, the Perfume House is a complete experience. 3328 S.E. Hawthorne Blvd., Portland, Oreg.; 503/234-5375."
    -- JESSICA DINEEN

That's where I buy my Trumper's shave cream. Between shaving supplies, The Perfume House, and The roller rink (Oaks Park, oldest operational roller rink in the world), I'm screwed. Save yourselves, don't worry about me.

Smoothy likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Well if shaving is just practical grooming then too much is a bad idea because it defeats the purpose but if a hobby then collecting is a part of it. I have always been dismayed though of my inability to simply stop buying shaving gear. The only saving grace has been selling stuff back and ALMOST recouping monetary losses.

If I buy gear now it simply would be for entertainment purposes only. A new mug , brush , razor etc. are simple things that can bring a bit of smile and small enjoyment against the the bummer of the way necessities like food, gas, clothing have become inflated in price and how bleak experiencing the daily economy is.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why I continue to buy shaving gear.

battle.munky and newb like this.
  9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

There are so many choices and things to try, I do mine in moderation.

10. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

That's funny, Jeff. I just posted about this same thing on Monday in another thread: "I'm going to try to be satisfied with the things I have until my technique is reliable and will try to be balanced with the time I spend learning (and enjoying) this new thing. As with any new hobby, it's easy to get overly-impassioned and impulsive at the expense of other things I've loved all my life. I really like what I've learned and gained from this new endeavor—not the least of which is the camaraderie of some really kind, generous, and fun people—and I certainly don't want to spoil that through excess."

With all the great recommendations from everyone and how much I've enjoyed what little I have so far, it's really easy for me to jump on anything that sounds good. I decided that I want to try (if I can) to avoid an AD before it even starts. Right now, my policy is no more than two of any element (blades being the exception)—this allows me to switch off so it's different, but I don't run the risk of never going through the stuff or having it take up too much space. I like the looks of a neat, well-curated selection rather than a comprehensive collection. I also like the feeling of being in control, a feeling that comes from knowing everything I purchased was a deliberate decision and not a byproduct of impulse.

To each, his own I say! (And of course, it's easy for me to say all of this—I'm just starting out!)

PLANofMAN and Smoothy like this.
  11. Smoothy

Ryan, I'm glad I am not living in your neighbourhood, I would be tempted way too much on a daily basis! ;) Lucky you.

Well written, Hanzo. Shaving is certainly not just practical grooming for me but my hobby as well (as for all of us here at the Den, I dare say). But I personally have bought and accumulated more than I was able to enjoy over the past several months. Which is why I am putting a temporary stop to my purchasing. I want to be able to get to know those new razors I've got (particularly the 3 adjustable ones on their way) as well as those new soaps. My focus in the next 12 months will be to play with all the variables, to enjoy my hobby instead of playing with part of it only while another part is lying around for months on end before I get to use them.
    There are still quite a few razors and other stuff out there I still want to buy & try. And I will do so but at a later stage. Cannot do all at once anyway and I do have serious space constraints at home on top of that.