The 400 club

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Darkbulb, Nov 3, 2014.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks. It's now easier to resist.

Douglas Carey, RyX and clint64 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

They are.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Outstanding Tom!!

MObigfoot, RyX and twhite like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Tom's B-400 handle is IMHO superior to the originals. I traded off my vintage no number handle and will keep my B-400.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks for the complement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. mrchick

You do beautiful work. Your brush is my absolute favorite and my daily driver.

MObigfoot, Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This just arrived in the mail. Thanks Tom @twhite . This is an absolutely beautiful handle. Excellent craftsmanship. Now, Boar for one, and Badger for the other, but which badger will it be???

"The Brush B-400"
    P1270584.JPG

8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Goddess! Those brushes are gorgeous. One of these days, I really need to figure out where to sign up to become one of Tom's friends. :)

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

John
    Everyone is my friend. The forum is an extension of my family.

Tom

10. mrchick

Thank you Brother

MObigfoot, Douglas Carey and twhite like this.
  11. DaltonGang

You do fine work. It's a rare club indeed, to be able to own one of your B 400 brushes(By Tom).

MObigfoot, twhite and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. MObigfoot

MObigfoot Active Member

Absolutely beautiful handles. Those are soooo nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey, RyX and twhite like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Amen & +1! Superior craftsmanship and hand sanded to boot

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

MObigfoot and twhite like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy088:

MObigfoot likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

New knot. WD 24mm Boar. It was an easy fit, because the knot could only go so far in. I used a hot glue gun and it seems to be holding really well. Plus side to this is that I don't have to wait until it sets.
    The knot is soft and is a lather hog. It also has just the right amount of backbone. I expect it to not be such a lather hog, after a few more uses.

Brush- B-400 By Tom. Knot Whipped Dog 24mm Boar.
    P2010616.JPG

lloydrm, Drygulch, MoAllen and 5 others like this.
  16. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

There are many new brushes that imitate or compliment the original Rubberset 400 brushes. All is good. But, there is also an interest in original Old stuff, like antiques, when it comes to the Rubberset 400 brushes. Many of us do like reviving the old and making it usable for another 50 or so years? With care probably far beyond that? Reviving the old, shining it up and appreciating what came before us, and such. No slander intended, as probably it would be fairly easy to produce an exact copy these days. But, what about the originals? What about searching for all those old versions that may still exist somewhere? Different strokes for different folks for sure. And, I think all interests and preferences are good. We are actually, I hope, talking about a style of shaving brush. And, a tool after all. Wood, plastic, acrylic, metal, let's Rumble! But, IB has a nice plastic Rubberset 400 style shaving brush with a nice "butterscotch" color. I have one now. I think I will replace the knot? And, it is actually a close look alike, in plastic, and with a synthetic knot. Not my favorite synthetic knot, however, but I think about a nice 2 band badger knot replacement? So many choices for all us folks with so many, many---------different "STROKES". All good! All nice to think about?

RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  17. DaltonGang

I still like my B400. Mainly because it's made by a member here, that I've had many conversations with, know his work, and admire his abilities. Although it's not an original Rubberset 400, I defy anyone to be able to say there is a difference, just by looking at most photos. Besides, this is the "400 Club", not the "Rubberset 400 Club". The title seems inclusive. I personally would like to have a Rubberset 400, but they are very difficult to find, are usually in poor shape, and are expensive.

RyX, mrchick, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Perhaps we could change the name to the Rubberset 400 club, and open a new thread called the TW-B 400 Club, or the Tom White Club. Just a thought.
    Tom also has other products he is probably working to release.

RyX and twhite like this.
  19. mrchick

I'm good with Tom's razor being shown off in this thread. I have his and a vintage Rubberset 400 and like them both a lot.

DaltonGang, RyX, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I only make theses things because I am a cheap old man

jmudrick, RyX and Douglas Carey like this.