The 400 club

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Darkbulb, Nov 3, 2014.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

With lots of talent

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I'm good with this also Tom. I was just think that you should have your own thread to display all of our products. :happy088:

3. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

WOW, I like them all, not just one? All those 400 shapes? Not just Rubberset 400's. I thought I was fairly clear on that with the statement: "We are, I hope, talking about a style of shaving brush". Hence the 400 club? Tom's classy skills fit right in there IMHO. I think/thought it was all about, a style of handle mostly and whether made of solid, hollow, metal or some other composition. Don't forget wood! All would be OK? The name 400 club is fine: New, old, in good shape or not so good shape and even yellow plastic.

DaltonGang, mrchick, twhite and 2 others like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Maybe I will. I am not a self promoter. I feel weird doing it. I will show you guys my failures too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Pass your information on to me and I'll promote you. :)

mrchick, twhite and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

After I found my unnumbered Rubberset 400 it sat for a while. I didn't want to damage my $11 investment jumping into a uninformed restore. Eventually I purchased a pair of Harbor Freight strap wrenches and successfully released the ferrule from the handle. The nasty knot came out easily. At that point my restore again stalled. Using medium to mild sand paper it cleaned up but never attained that like new shine that I envied in others handles. Shopping for a tall fan shaped boar knot seemed fruitless. Bulbs everywhere but none seemed to suit my desire for a NOS type
    Along came Tom's B-400 homage. I'm one of the lucky folks that have his IMHO better that original units. Solid rather than hollow cast like the vintage. Shiny from the start thanks to his finger aching polishing. He even conquered the knot size limit by machining a larger interior diameter ferrule.
    My Original R-400 has found a new den half way around the world. John @Sparrow may show up here one day with it all polished up (like I never did).
    Me? I'm happy with my B-400. Glad I didn't purchase a PA or SBS, though I might invite a plastic butterscotch synthetic into my brush pile. For those that do the shape looks good as original.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

There's a new thread idea

twhite, Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  8. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

How could I obtain one of these beauties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Rubberset 400's pop up on auction sites. I found a vintage one at a flea market for less, but I got lucky.
    The plastic Butterscotch handles are a new product that just became available.
    The ones made by Tom @twhite called the B-400 are Limited Edition. If you live near him, he might need his house shingled...

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Which one are you referring to?

RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Go to Ebay and type in Rubberset 400, and it will come up. I had posted a link to some brushes, however, that is frowned upon by management. :)

RyX and mrchick like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Only live auctions. You can post buy it now or ended auctions.

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Okay Ryan, thank.

Bama Samurai and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. jwr3265

One of Tom Whites creations...does he sell them?

15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I do when I have some. I can only make a few in my spare time. There is no telling when I will make them next.

Tom

Boojum1, RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. jwr3265

Thanks for the response, Tom. Amazing work!

Boojum1, RyX, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I ,very much, lucked out.

Boojum1, RyX, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Funny thing is, my personal B-400's are the rejects with the ferrules seized on the handles. I make myself a good one then I let somebody else have it.

Go figure

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy088:

RyX likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Fortunately for you Tom, you have the Golden Midas Goose touch. Even your eggs are highly sought after!

Douglas Carey and twhite like this.