The ADJUSTABLE SYNDROME! And other Mysteries of the Universe!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marc Bagwell, Jan 23, 2017.

1. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Now there is a thought. The use of an adjustable as a means to an end. This reasoning would likely save a lot of $$$ and time in trial and error. All the more reason to grab one OP!

Some do seem to find a setting and leave it locked. Mine change all the time. Every shave. I don't shave every day. My face doesn't tolerate it. I can shave 4 maybe 5 days in a row if I'm careful, but 3 in a row is a typical run. I may skip 2 days or 10, so having the ability to adjust my plan of attack is a major adjustable bonus. If I'm managing longer hair I'll run 1st pass on 9. <-- That is fun to me and actually produces the least irritation. Any of my Gillettes will take it down in 1 WTG pass on 9. 2nd pass 5 or 6, cleanup on 2. I don't go for BBS, close comfy is good for me. My face and chin smooths down nice but the hair on my neck just doesn't cooperate. Smooth with the grain but some stubble against. The irritation of a BBS attempt there would almost guarantee my next shave would be on 9 because I'd be down for days. On my neck a BBS feeling would be gone by the end of a business day anyway, so I don't chase it. Consecutive shaves, for me, are best done 1st pass at 5 or 6, the 3 or 4, cleanup on 2. I run the dials all over the place. With my current shave routine, I can't imagine using a 3 piece shave-in, shave-out. One day, perhaps.

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

As a newbie shaver I would get an adjustable. The benefits of having an adjustable early on, is that you can find what works for you with one razor. After trying and experimentation with products and blades, you can move into other razors from there. I adjust my settings all the time, but for the most part I like the weight of the fatboy and the feel of the slim as I'm shaving.

PLANofMAN, Screwtape and LOOT like this.
  3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Those were really my answers.

Yes, an adjustable is the way to go. I love mine.

Yes, both vintage and new. I have both and enjoy both.

Yes, both Progress and Futur. I have both and enjoy both.

I have a "few" adjustables
    -Fatboy
    -Slim
    -Super Adjustable 109
    -Progress
    -Futur

And I'm probably going to get more at some point
    -Super Adjustable 84
    -Wizamet W11
    -Rockwell 6s
    -Parker Variant
    -PAL adjstable injector
    -Schick Type M

And if money were no object, I'd also get
    -Barbaros & Rocnel Stainless
    -Apollo
    -Rockwell Model T
    -ATT 5 Piece set
    -Merker Vision

Did I forget any?

DesertTime and Screwtape like this.
  4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

1- Is an adjustable razor the way to go?
    I think so. It's like a bike with a gear set. Would you rather peddle a single speed or a 21 speed?

2- Vintage or new?
    You need at least one vintage Gillette slim or other adjustable. It will teach you a lot about an adjustable and not break the bank.

3- if Merkur, should I invest in the Progressive? Or the Future?
    Lot of coin riding on a razor you might not like.

4- Or should I travel to Tibet, climb a mountain and ask some smelly old guy with a long beard? I figure if he knew anything about shaving then he wouldn't have such a long beard, but hey, who am I to judge!

Talk to the man on the silver mountain.

ninjack and Marc Bagwell like this.
  5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@mikewood I didn't know you're a hippy who loves music in the 60's & 70's :p

mikewood and Marc Bagwell like this.
  6. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

:) :) :)
    You and me both!

Don't worry, Steve will come through for us.

7. Marc Bagwell

Funny, I like it

8. Marc Bagwell

Heck yea!
    Just add some country music in the mix and we're set!

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

If I had gotten the progress first, I may not have a razor collection today. I like it well enough, I probably would not have looked any farther.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. Just a rookie compared to some collections.

I also use Scrubbing Bubbles (SB):
    1. Take apart (3-piece) or open up (TTO)razor
    2. Place parts or razors in small plastic tyb
    3. Spray and cover with SB.
    4. Allow bubbles to disappear and immediately go to step 5
    5. Repeat steps 3 & 4
    NOTE: Prolonged soaking in SB (longer than it takes for the bubbles to disappear after the 2nd spraying) has been known to take the paint off the numbers of adjustabe razors and the color off the Lady Star Gillettes
    6. Use a soft toothbrush on stubborn gunk and a toothpick in the noks and crannies
    7. Rinse in hot water
    8. Dry
    9. I like to apply a light coating of mineral oil over all parts, and make sure to get a drop on pivot points and down the center shaft of TTOs
    NOTE: DO NOT BOIL GOLD PLATED RAZORS. IT WILL TAKE OFF THE FINISH

I follow the above procedure on all my razor - new, vintage, nickle plated, gold plated, adjustables, Lady Stars - never had a problem with plate loss, number loss, or color loss.

Clean as often as you want. They're your razors.

11. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I think adjustables do deliver on the promise of different experiences without different equipment. If you are someone who can indulge in RAD, then there may not be a huge appeal. Someone who can afford it might have a r41 as well as a Gillette tech and everything in between.

But gang-for-buck, it is hard to beat a decent-condition Gillette slim on eBay for $20-30.

That said, this is shaping up to be the year of the adjustable: rocnel, Rockwell, parker...Will be interesting to see how deep the appetite really is.

Marc Bagwell and lightcs1776 like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a fatboy, two slims, and a Schick adjustable. I like them all. It is your choice. If you don't like one, pif or sell it. No problem. Then you will have the experience.

Marc Bagwell, LOOT and lightcs1776 like this.
  13. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I am a adjustable junky....I will do my best to explain why this is and why I tell every newbie that if the they buy another razor it should be a adjustable (if they have that deer in headlights going on)....

1) I dont consider myself a "razor guy" or have (RAD) so even though I have quite a few razors I dont really cycle through them. In fact I have only used 2 razors in the last 6 months....Now, with that said I really prefer a HEAVY razor and of the ones I have, it seems that adjustables tend to a bit heavier then non-adjustables (the ones I have) and for me that is 100% a comfort/feel thing that I am pretty militant about (YMMV)....

2) To me a adjustable gives you something that no other wet shaving tool can...If I buy a soap/AS/brush/even a razor and I dont like it then I am kind of stuck with it, I cant change the way it smells/lathers/stiffness/mildness/etc..... but even if I dont like the look/weight/etc. with a adjustable it can still be serviceable... I also think what @PLANofMAN said was bang on, but with that said you have that ability to "dial" in what the best setting for that razor is for you, I know some do adjust the settings after passes (I personaly dont) but that is 3 razors in 1 with out changing the feel of a razor.

3)It saves time and money no just for beginners but if you have different blades you might find that instead of hating a blade, you just have to use it at a different setting and it turns out to be a blade you now love instead of writing off as "not for me"..

Again adjustables are NOT the end all be all but a lot of that comes down to YOUR prefered razor and what you are looking for in one...I dont say any of this to try and convince anyone on adjustable's, but rather why "I" use/love them....if you have razors that you love and prefer then you might have a let down when/if you get one...Hope I didnt make things even more blurry.:)

14. Marc Bagwell

Interesting. Thanks

15. Marc Bagwell

Awesome, Steve.
    Many people have mentioned SB, but they never explained it like you just did. That helps very much. Thanks

swarden43 likes this.
  16. Marc Bagwell

Thank you

17. Marc Bagwell

Thanks

18. Marc Bagwell

Thank you, I duck.
    That gives me a lot to do think about. Let me ask, many have mentioned the Progress. Do you think that would be a good one to try? Money is a little tight and I would like to get it right the first time

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

[Enable mode activated]
    If you read of any razor someone is using with positive comments, it's a good one to try.
    [Enable mode deactivated]
    :signs136:

20. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

My advice, which might not be worth 2 cents, is to first determine what price range you are comfortable with before looking at the specific models. Once that is decided, you can separate those out of your comfort zone and focus on the remainder.

Sent via mobile - Chris

DesertTime, Linuxguile, IDuck and 2 others like this.