The best artisan shave soaps made in the USA

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jabberwock, Apr 26, 2013.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

If it helps any, to me vetiver smells a lot like damp earth and mulch, but ymmv.

2. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I have a puck of her vetiver soap and it is indeed great stuff. The scent is robust, not unlike CR Salter's vetyver cream.

Sara-s likes this.
  3. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

quote="jabberwock, post: 577078, member: 9071"]They look spiffy, I may have to order some of their stuff.
    [/quote]

Years ago this was marketed under the name of "Old Village Barber" (made by Fields of Ambrosia). When the Old Barber retired, the product line was marketed by Fields of Ambrosia under the brand "Renaissance Man." I can attest the products are exactly the same. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I have been using their soaps in my rotation for about 5 years now, making it one of the few I have continuously stayed with that long.

4. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

They look nifty and sound pretty good, but I am having a hard time getting my head around their shipping costs. It costs nearly $9 to ship a $6, 4oz. tin of soap. Just under $15 total is not bad, but the fact that shipping costs 1.5 times the price of the soap is a difficult pill to swallow.

5. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

macaronus likes this.
  6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

9$ seems high for S&H to me too. Maybe it pays to try 2 pucks, or 3 instead of just one. I have always bought 3 at a time there. Buying only one puck direct from indie sites often incurs that problem, I guess. Unfortunately the large internet shave stores just don't carry many indie soaps, so they can't just be easily added to larger orders.

jabberwock likes this.
  7. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

Thanks for the knowledge sir!

8. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Stirling shaving soap, I have some lime and it's good stuff. I gotta quit ordering, soap and cream, I'm good until I'm 109 years old.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

What about after that?

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

What she said! Plus, you also need to hedge against loss (use or accidental destruction) and discontinuation.

Ryan B likes this.
  11. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

I
    Irina is a vendor/member (soapbuddy) here and has always been amazing to me. She is more than willing to answer questions through a conversation here on TSD. I think you'll find it a good experience this time.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  12. cessnabird

cessnabird New Member

Thanks for posting this very comprehensive list, I often forget some of them listed here when thinking about new soaps.

13. bomber.79

bomber.79 Well-Known Member

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Looks don't shave the face.

Just sayin' :D

15. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

Stirling Soap makes good tallow and vegan based soaps.
    He even made Lavender/Sage fragrance by my request!

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Wow, I never heard of that one! :)

17. DirtDiver

DirtDiver Member

Will definietly be trying some of these out... I just need to get rid of some of the 15 or so that I already have >_<

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Why? It's only 15.

Raven312 and richgem like this.
  19. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Very interesting. I wonder how this list would line up to today?

20. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Dunno, let's find out...

Most artisan (or perhaps I should say cottage industry) soaps I have tried are not very good. Usually this is due to a rapidly disappearing lather. A few cottage industry soaps are truly outstanding, though. In descending order of preference, my faves are:

Sego Lily Soap
    http://www.segolilysoap.com/ShavingSoap.html
    The best soap I have ever used. Fantastic in every regard!

Prairie Creations Tallow & Lanolin
    Website gone, apparently no longer in business
    Was a fantastic shaving soap, but sometimes had long delays in shipping.

The Soap Opera Himalaya Shaving Soap
    http://www.thesoapopera.com/cgi-bin/scart.cgi/TSO-HMS-100.php3?scartid=5960871
    Soap is excellent, both in terms of performance and scent. Inexpensive soap, but carries a fixed, nearly ten dollar surcharge per order. Per-puck cost only becomes reasonable if three or more pucks are purchased and the surcharge spread out over the three soaps.

Mike's Natural Soaps
    http://mikesnaturalsoaps.com
    Really good shaving soaps! Mike has done a first-rate job with these soaps.

Stirling Soap Company
    https://www.stirlingsoap.com
    Very good and reasonably priced soaps. These have been astroturfed to death on the forums, which is why I don't buy them as much as I would otherwise. Still a fine soap and worth trying.