The Bloom Controller

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Darkbulb, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

HolyRollah posted a tip some time ago about how to 're-shape' your boar brush if you felt it was blooming too wide for you (backbone felt lacking and/or hard to control when face lathering).
    I tested out his tip this past week...and it works great!

My SOC Boar Brush is quite wide now that is is coming into itself:

[​IMG]

After my latest shave I shook up excess water, dried it with some strokes on my towel...and plopped it into a tissue roll:

[​IMG]

A day and a half later I took it out....
    [​IMG]

It's been a few days and it has kept that shape (haven't used it yet).

So....for anyone who wants to 'reshape' their brush a bit - for whatever reason - with little to no cost and effort this may be an alternative.

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Darkbulb;
    Thanks for posting this. Interesting information Thanks Again.

3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Or you could just get an Omega. That would not have to be done...

Omelmad and Bristle Me like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe...but then I'd have to settle for an Omega ;)

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

True, but my Omegas are a bit floppier & moppier than the Semos, which tend to be a bit stiffer. When splayed, they lose some of their effectiveness—at least in my uses.
    The nice part about 'tubing' a splayed brush is not only is it cheap, one can do it as often or as little as necessary. Sort of a brush 'tune up.'

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I like the bloom my Owners Club has though! :)

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

It is what it is, isn't it? After you get it wet (again) doesn't it go back to the way it was? I've done a fair amount of playing around experimenting with boar knots, both Semogue and Omega. Cut the metal ring off a Semogue 2000 and set it to SOC loft and you'll have a different feeling brush than either the 2000 or SOC. The crimp on the Semogue spreads the knot, the plastic ring on the Omega doesn't. My favorite boar is a Omega 20248 knot with the loft shortened about 15mm. I also have a 2000 that was relofted to a SOC height and it is very nice but I'd like to drop it a bit lower, I just haven't got around to it yet. I'm certainly no expert, I just like to mess around. The important thing is to enjoy your shaving tools.
    Semogue 2000 relofted. This is a wet brush and the different shape of the knot is apparent.
    [​IMG]
    Current favorite, Omega 20248, relofted and rehandled.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    Bristle Me likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Someone on another board uses a small O-ring at the base of the hairs for the same purpose. But, your idea is cost free.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Why not try a bestshave #6 horse(?) hair brush...Developes a nice full, but not unwieldy bloom, has real good back bone without being scritchy or scratchy...Mine is over 2 years old and still going strong...For $5 shipped it's worth giving it a try I.M.O. :)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Wells1229

Wells1229 Active Member

Wow, nice tip. Keep that in the back of the old brain housing group.

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That is a super tip. You could use the tube also for traveling. Very nice information: thanks!

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

All credit goes to HolyRollah.
    Actually it's not just cosmetic - when I shaved with it there was a very distinct different feel - it was much more 'stiff' and compact.
    Only lasted one shave though so if you want to repeat that experience maybe use this on a regular basis :)
    I also like the idea of using a scrungie/rubber band to achieve the same effect and allowing some air to dry out the brush at the same time.

13. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I do something similar, but slightly fancier, for travel. I take a paper towel tube, so I have a little more length to work with. Cut off a bit so the tube is about 2.5" longer than the brush. Fold in about an inch at one end to form a base that the brush can't fall through (doesn't need to be perfect or even close to it by any means). Then I drop in the brush and fold in an inch at the top. Makes a self-contained little travel tube that's closed enough at both ends to keep the brush in, but plenty of space among the folded ends to allow some airflow.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I have used a tube fot my brush when i went on vacation. i didnt pay attention to the bloom.

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Note that it should be a little bit damp when inserted into the tube for it to de-bloom in there :)

16. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

i used the tube for protection, not for bloom sorru about the confusion.