The Haul: January 2018

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Dec 31, 2017.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Thanks.

9nein9 and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. jimjo1031

Yeah the Made Rite. It's been on the back burner to restore for a while.

9nein9 likes this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

4. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Picked up this old Gillette the other day, i am not even sure exactly what model it is? (anyone?) gave it a good cleaning and shaved with it yesterday .. i was amazed at what a great shave i got from it, i'm really starting to like the old vintage razors
    PicsArt_01-22-06.55.50.jpg

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just a guess ...
    1920s Brownie.jpg

1920's Gillette Brownie

6. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

My cheap camera and modest photography skills can not do justice to this beautiful brush from Wolf Whiskers. RSCN1883[1].JPG RSCN1884[2].JPG

7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Wow that’s awesome ! I love the colors !

Dver42, 9nein9, Puma and 1 other person like this.
  8. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

9nein9, Puma and Linuxguile like this.
  9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I have a 9 cup and really like the smooth results.
    I’ve been tempted to pick up each of the smaller ones (6/4) but I don’t have a use for them other than to have a collection.

If you don’t have one already, another fun coffee maker is a glass filtered vacuum pot.

9nein9, AGHisBBS, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I do have the 9 cup and my first attempt did not go well. Please, teach me.

11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

My Pyrex was not my first percolator. I started with a few others and made several bad pots of coffee until I learned a few things.

Temperature control is important. You need enough heat to perk the coffee but too much will give a burnt taste. I tend to perk mine pretty slowly to avoid overheating. I could get it done quicker but I’m generally not in a hurry when I’m using vintage gear. Also, you need to be careful with glass. I start with a good medium (plus) flame (not too intense) until the bubbles start to climb the stem, then I back it down to a nice controlled perk (maybe one good gurgle every 3 seconds or so) and let it get darker and darker.

The grind is more coarse than using a drip coffee maker. If you can’t adjust your grind you’ll want to get some disc filters so you’re not drinking sludge.

I watched a few videos and read enough articles to realize it was going to eventually come down to some trial and error.

Take notes and make changes and before you know it you’ll be enjoying some real fine joe.

Oh, and you’ll want to get a narrow bottle brush to clean the stem with.

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Interesting...

Jayaruh, 9nein9, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Atomic age nucular perculation! Love it!

14. jimjo1031

Just want to say thanks to @Tim Spencer for sending me a 5 oz puck of Mama Bear Obsessed soap. It has a very nice scent to it and I will be using it soon. I forgot to take a picture of it before I unwrapped it, but it now resides in this Old Spice mug.............

20180123_040847_preview.jpg

15. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Yesterday i received some samples from Wholly Kaw .. can't wait to try them out, really like the smell of King of Oud and Monaco Royale

PicsArt_01-23-07.49.27.jpg

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A few things I picked up over the last week or so. The semogue 208 and 1305 came from my buddy @Corto along with the oak moss scent Musgo Real. The Treet blades and RiteAide blades are local buys. The two G3 sets (1912 head one bakelite handle one metal) are from Ebay.
    [​IMG]

17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Early 1946 G-1 with Type E high profile Rivet and "Schick Injector" markings.

IMG_5957.JPG IMG_5958.JPG IMG_5955.JPG IMG_5965.JPG

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    brit, SHAVEWIZARD420, Dansco and 13 others like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

brit, SHAVEWIZARD420, Dansco and 10 others like this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Gillette Old Type. If it had no serial numbers, it's from the mid-late 1920's. With a serial number it's older. Google "Gillette Date Codes" and you'll be able to date it. Nice, slightly aggressive, shave.

Herm

AGHisBBS and Linuxguile like this.
  20. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Got this great New Long Comb/Frankenrazor and blade sampler from a PIF by @Linuxguile. Thanks again! I don't have any of the blades here, and I look forward to trying out my new razor!
    DSCN0916.JPG