The invasion of the Indian Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jabberwock, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I have found a sudden and overwhelming influx of razors manufactured by the same Indian company, but branded under various names by various shops. These razors are all universally low priced, good quality razors with only slight variations in their packaging and names. So far these razors are getting high praise and are selling like crazy, so I am wondering if I have missed any of the brands that are out there...

So far I have found these brands: Matador Razors from www.razorbladesandmore.com. Razorock Razors from www.italianbarber.com. and Cadets from shaveabuck.com

After doing some serious research I have found that all of the razors are made by the same manufacturer. I am amazed at how low these razors are priced considering the high praise being heaped upon them. Has anyone seen any other versions of these razors out there in the wild?

crackstar and macaronus like this.
  2. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Just ordered a RazoRock TTO for my brother yesterday. I'll let you know what he thinks.

crackstar and macaronus like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yep. The New York Shaving Company.
    The Twist-To-Open razors they are selling are Weishi's. The 3-piece razors are Indian. Both are overpriced, way overpriced.
    Simpsons and Rooney also sell re-branded Indian razors.
    I've heard a few rumblings, not about the way the razors shave, but the finish is not perfect on all the razors. (you get what you pay for).
    That being said, the quality of goods from India are constantly improving and they have been the world leader in precision machine tools for several years now.

crackstar likes this.
  4. jabberwock

Wow, I had only heard about the New York Shaving Co. razors in passing and was under the impression that they were using Edwin Jagger heads with different handles, but after looking at their web site I see that I was wrong. Those are definitely overpriced considering that you can get much the same thing for quite a lot less.

crackstar likes this.
  5. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I believe Fendrihan used these for their new, cheaply priced homage to the Chatsworth. My best guess really considering their price point (<$20 IIRC)

crackstar likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The "stout" razors used to sell on shaveabuck as the SABI (ShaveABuckInc.) for $14 and many in the forums purchased them just for the handles. The heads were iffy. He no longer carries those razors and instead carries the "Cadet" line. The Razor sold by Simpsons was also a SABI, but with Simpson's etched on the handle. The general feeling is that you were paying $65 for the name and $15 for the razor.

crackstar likes this.
  7. jabberwock

It's entirely too bad that there are not more companies offering just really spiffy handles. So many of the razors out there interest me only because of the handles. I realize that they can charge more for the handles with the heads, but I think the customer base would increase if they also sold the handles alone.

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

those long, heavy SABI handles are awesome. The head wasn't quite right so I tossed it. But the handle, when paired with an o.c. NEW head, makes for an awesome razor.

crackstar and 178-bplatoon like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Actually there are many companies , smaller razor producers like Ikon, Tradere, etc producing handles. I think there are probably at least 6 smaller companies producing them, you just have to do a bit research on forums.

My Razorock Cadet head fits my Ikon handle , its a good combo but its not universally so, some Cadet heads won't fit . In fact you can match a favorite handle to a good selection of vintage and new heads and create a variety of shavers with just one handle you like. Its not expensive to have the vintage heads replated to match a handle, $25 I think.

crackstar, 178-bplatoon and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Just to add on to what Hanzo has said there are/were 2 companies that specialized in making only handles. BRW (Bob's Razor Works) was one. CooncatBob sadly passed away recently, much to the sorrow of the shaving world. UFO is the other company, and if you've been wondering what the occassional talk about UFO handles was, I hope that clears that up. As far as I know UFO is the only company that only makes handles. His handles are works of art though.

crackstar and Hanzo like this.
  11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

crackstar, Hanzo and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

India Steel was used in some of the better English Straight razors that were made. If you follow the pricing they seem to alway go for more than the razors made with German or English steel. India's history of steel making go way before the Colonial Period.

crackstar likes this.
  13. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Most of the German, English and Japanese straights used Swedish steel. I've only seen a few English razors posted every now and then with Indian Steel. I didn't know Indian steel had such high rankings, I'm glad they are getting better at design and manufacture of razors.

crackstar likes this.
  14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Funny you should say that..I heard kinda the same thing about Indian steel, which is touted to be some of the best in the world. China is also supposed to have good steel...

crackstar likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If I remember correctly, an Indian mine was the source of what we now call wootz steel, and the ancients called Damascus steel. That mine was tapped out in the 1400's. And it is only recently, using modern techniques and alloys that we have been able to recreate an approximation of original Damascus steel.

crackstar likes this.
  16. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The iron ore came from India and was made into steel and then razors in Sheffield, England.

crackstar and johnus like this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have to agree after checking out NY Shaving Co prices and products, my advice would be to STAY AWAY!! :scared003:

Shaveabuck is bringing back the Sabi I'm happy to say...:happy088: They are in transit. A Sabi T1 w/4"handle and T2 with a 3 1/2" handle( I feel Joe should have called the 3 1/2" handle version a T3 since the one I bought(3") was known as the T2 when I got it which makes it a little confusing. I have the 3" handle and can tell you it's a good looking, well made BullDog type handle and I love it. I'm probably going to order a 3 1/2" handle as soon as they become available. Shaveabuck also had what NYSC calls the "Stout" razor for only $17 in either black or white handle....:)

I just looked at NY Shaving CO. brushes. Can anyone tell me what a "Traditional Synthetic Brush" is? I had NO idea that synthetic brushes were traditional.:confused:

crackstar and PLANofMAN like this.
  18. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

Geez you guys I read this thread, went to Shave A Buck to look at the razor's and ended up ordering $30 of shave sticks!! Which one of you is gonna tell my wife?

crackstar, JayPo007 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm already in trouble for going to "shaveabuck" and spending a "BUNCH" of bucks :eek: so I'll tell her....:) I hate that place :angry017: But I just CAN"T stay away..:ashamed001:
    Are you getting one of the new Sabi's when they come in?? I'm looking hard at that 3" Cadet TP-02S,TP-02B as well as the 3 1/2" Sabi. "SO MANY RAZORS SO LITTLE MONEY"!!!! I think I may have a problem..:happy093:

crackstar and bittermormon like this.
  20. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

Hopefully I'm good on the razor front. I'm experimenting with shimming my lone razor (hi yo silver...) and trying to figure this whole game out. I'm not super interested in having tons of razors, but an extra one would be nice to pull the blade and let my 3 year old son try it out.

crackstar and 178-bplatoon like this.