The Mongoose...initial shave review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JR Reyes, Nov 26, 2014.

1. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

First shave with the mongoose is in the books. The quality is top notch indeed, and there is no doubt that it commands the price point. I signed up for a week long razor trial tour, and it came with the bulldog handle. The head on this thing is so wide, that I want to try a longer handle to see if I can get better balance and control. The razor is smooth, and 3 passes was effortless. I noticed that it didnt get as close as I would like on my neck area. I still have two spots on either side of my adam's apple that aren't BBS. It might be the large head, and the fact that I need to find the appropriate angle to clean it up.

I hate to say it, but I had a better initial shave the first time I used the cobra. But, I think the Mongoose wins hands down in quality and craftsmanship. Once I pair it with the right handle for balance, and find those correct angles to clean up my trouble areas, I don't think I will need much more in a razor.

This thing is great, but I wouldn't call it a complete RAD killer. I will still sell off some inventory, but I'm not going all in on the goose.

I feel lucky to have this opportunity, and this is just my initial impressions. I still have a few more days to fine tune my technique with this thing.

For those who have a goose, I'd love to hear your thoughts and initial impressions as well.

Thanks for reading gents.

Pics to follow with different handle options that I try.

Chuck F, Bama Samurai, Troy M and 7 others like this.
  2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Funny, I just shaved with my Goose for the first time yesterday and I had a tough time finding the angle too. My first Cobra shave was 10x better as far as closeness goes. I know I have to work to find the correct angle as I struggled with that. The geometry of the razor with the front 45 degree angle cap threw me off a bit.

When I looked at the blade exposure and gap, I was surprised as it looked to be a mild configuration to me. I'm used to jumping right in with new razors but this one alluded me the first shave.

Troy M and JR Reyes like this.
  3. JR Reyes

Thanks for your input, Im glad I wasn't the only one who didn't have a sensational first shave. Can I ask which handle you used? Do you think it will work better with a short heavy handle or a longer handle? I think the "real" difference comes from using the feather pro blades.

Cobra...Mongoose...and next is the Rx by Huntlee. Which one will be the best?

Bama Samurai and Troy M like this.
  4. CyanideMetal

I'm using BRW handles custom made before Bob died a couple of years ago. They make for a very heavy razor once the Goose head is on. Because the head is so heavy, I think a short heavyweight handle would balance it very well instead of a lighter handle.

I have some feather supers on the way to try and see how aggressive it can be.

Troy M likes this.
  5. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Congratulations on the first shave with the Mongoose.
    I am patiently waiting on a Satin head to arrive, here, in Vancouver so that I can try it. However, I don't expect great results as I have had 3 Cobra Classics in the past and those SE blades just seem a tad too sharp and unpredictable for my sensitive skin! We'll see what happens with this razor as I am hopeful that the head design will securely fasten the blade more than the Cobra Classic does.
    Until then and I hope you get some better shaves! :)

Troy M likes this.
  6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I received the satin finish head Mongoose, Monday and had a great first shave Tuesday. No angle problems. I like it much better than the Cobra. The Mongoose holds the blade tighter and is easier to load.

Troy M likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Here's a picture of my satin finish head Mongoose, though I'm not the OP.

IMG_0466.JPG

9. CyanideMetal

Here's my gear.

IMG_0027[2].jpg

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thanks for the reviews. Since I joined the Batch 2 waiting list very late, I'm still waiting on my invoice.

11. CyanideMetal

My 2nd shave with the 'Goose today was perfect. No problems.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like the looks of the handle but that head is just plain ugly

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I actually rather like it :)

14. JR Reyes

Here's todays Pic...she looks nice with the rosegold handle..IMO.
    20141127_103938~2.jpg

15. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Yeah -- pics or it didn't happen! ;)

16. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

I am so glad that you said it first! I was working on a brain overload trying to come up with a diplomatic way of saying that... but, not trying to pick on the razor or its fans. It flies in the face of everything I personally find beautiful about razor design... but each to his own, different strokes, YMMV, etc. Regardless of how I feel about an object, I would never criticize a man for his aesthetic choice.

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Sweet razor Gents! One day I'll have one. One day.....

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

+1 when/if they drop in price to say about $40 for the head :)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. JR Reyes

$40 For the head...LOL...not anytime soon. I saw the first batch 2 head sell for $130. They said the price is only going to increase after the batch 2 orders get fulfilled. I agree that the razor head looks like a big ice scrapper or squeegee (not sure if I spelled that right), but the difference in my opinion comes from using the feather pro blades. They cover much more real estate and make quick work of any stubble.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh I know, just 'dreaming out loud' :)
    I was thinking that maybe once they produce a higher volume prices may drop.

Bama Samurai likes this.