The Shake Sharp Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 13, 2012.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That may have been one of the reasons for the redesign of the the 2nd generation shake sharps.

2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Guys, I bet you are anxiously awaiting how my rendezvous with the Shake Sharp went. Even though this is my first shave, I had pretty fantastic results. To figure out which Shake Sharp to use, I put two numbers in a hat and drew one at random. The all steel one won the drawing. I shook the razor 7 times to make sure the blade was honed adequately.

Cons: This razor is hard to find!
    Price: 10/10. I'm just borrowing the razor/s.
    Quality: 10/10. It is solidly built and will give any other razor from its a time a run for its money.
    User Friendly: 10/10. It's not your everyday razor. You need to be careful loading the blade, careful when shaking the razor, and use an angle similar to an SE razor. You'll figure it out.
    Grip: 10/10. Your hands will be wet understandably, but your hands won't slip if you don't have grease on your hands.
    Ease of blade placement: 9/10. If the blade isn't aligned properly, then the lid won't close. There's a guide line where the razor will rest, so just follow that.
    Aggressiveness: 8/10. I got a mowed down a lot of stubble on the first pass. It's also a very loud razor, so you'll be able to hear what's going on with no problem.
    Adjustability: 0/10. There's only one setting.
    Balance: 10/10. I don't know what it is, but this razor just felt right when it was in my hand.
    Would I buy this razor? Definitely!

I'll use this for another few days and then try out the bakelite Shake Sharp. Thank you for the opportunity Ryan!

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If you are hearing a lot of noise from the razor, you probably have the angle wrong. The correct angle is with the top of the head almost touching your skin. The aggressiveness should settle down to a 3-5, and the blade chatter will stop. The bakelite is more aggressive than the metal one, so this is something you should keep in mind.

Mac had the same problem starting off. Once you get the angle dialed in, it's fairly easy to control the aggressiveness of the shave, though it would never be considered a really mild shaver.

macaronus likes this.
  4. Ryan B

Yeah, maybe an 8 is too much for aggressiveness. It's not like it hurt, because the shave was really smooth. I guess what I thought what made it aggressive is that a second pass was NOT necessary. Oh well, living and learning.

5. Ryan B

I had my second shave with the all metal Shake Sharp. The shave was still pretty good. I only have minimal irritation on the edge of my chin. I shook the razor 7 times , I'm not sure how many I should do; but this works pretty well. I still think the first shave was better.

PLANofMAN and macaronus like this.
  6. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

I'm ready to ship to the next person on the list and will ship this week. They are cool razors and I got a DFS but overall we
    I did not get along very well with them. No irritation or bleeding I just had to do cleanup with one of my razors. Hope to see that others like them also.

PLANofMAN and Ryan B like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Thanks for sharing. They are not for everyone. :)

8. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

That's the cool part about the passaround I got to try it before you buy it thanks again

9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I just managed to win one of these razors I cant wait to get it and try it out for myself.

(It was on USA ebay and Im UK based, so it will take awhile to get here)

10. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I have the razors in my possession now...I am pretty swamped till Friday though. I plan on starting the testing then!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

In my experience with it, I found the shake sharp to be a very nice, efficient razor. Audible shaves, certainly, and not too difficult to find the 'perfect' angle. A bit small for my own tastes in razor handle sizes, but it is well-balanced. High marks for uniqueness and coolness. :signs021:

12. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Ok...This razor is finally on deck for tomorrow! I might have forgot all about them during finals and finishing up the school year. Should I use a brand new blade in this or go with one that has had a few uses to get the feel for the sharpening mechanism? Or should I just use the new blade in this razor for several shaves. It takes about 6 shaves for a blade to noticeably lose its edge for me. Also, would the angle on this razor be similar to say a Gem?

macaronus likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I would say to use the blades that came with them. I sent them out with a bunch of Super Blue blades...
    I guess someone forgot to send them along when they passed the razors on.

Start with a new blade. And yes, the angle is similar to a Gem. You want the top of the head of the razor almost pressed against your face. Good luck!

14. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Actually the blades were in there, but they had other people's names on them so I left them. I'll give one a try over the weekend. The metal one has been surprisingly smooth so far. I didn't have the best experience with the last SE I tried (Gem 1912). Great audio feedback and great results so far. I was thinking that a single blade could last quite a long time in this razor, since it is being "stropped/shaken" and you could flip the blade if performance dropped. Have you tried to see how long a blade can last in here?

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm guessing one of those carbons could last for months with proper stropping....Am I right??

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I think there's only one other person after you. Have fun with the blades.
    I had one in there for almost a month, but I got bored and wanted to try a different blade. You can easily get 4 weeks out of each side of a carbon DE blade, provided you turn the blade over after each shave so the blade wears evenly on the top and bottom. The old advertisements for these razors claimed a year of shaves from one blade, but I think that's a little far fetched. I could see 2-4 months from one blade though.

Blades from that time period (late 40's-early 50's) were thicker than modern blades, so I should take that into account as well. So a person probably could get a year's worth of shaves from one of those blades; but the 1967 Super Blues I sent along are essentially the thinner "modern" carbon blades.

alpla444, GDCarrington and Bird Lives like this.
  17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Yep...that Shake Sharp is a killer...there alot to dig about it...;)

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  18. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Dam it mine is somewhere in the post I sooooo cant wait to get, and try it. Not that Im short of razors lol, I just want to try one of these so much.
    After hearing so many good things about it in this thread.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    This is a rough time of the year to be waiting on the postal service.

alpla444 likes this.
  20. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Awesome!!! I'll give it a try. Unfortunately I left the razor at home. We are traveling for Christmas and won't be back till Thursday! I know you want to keep these moving along, when should I try and get them out again?