The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

50's isn't warm enough for ME to use the 'green(or any Stoylin Glacial for that matter). But 50's in Montreal in February is perhaps something different to behold.

Yehuda D likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

Does that mean he took care of the SDM issue some were complaining about a few months ago?

Yehuda D likes this.
  3. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

You can't imagine how hot it could get here in the summer. Weeks on end of 90+ and humidity to make you want to faint.

4. Yehuda D

I believe he did. The SDM I have smells so nice and feels so comfortable.

Paul Turner likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

I don't quite recall what the issue was....something about it having too many "chemicals". Perhaps @ezlovan can correct that.(That is, correct my MEMORY, as he probably already corrected the SDM issue, as we've been talkinabout). But if you say he did, he probably did. You two are good habibis :).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Yehuda D likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Yeow....Montreal and DC being about the same...hard to imagine that. (That's just me comparing those two hockey cities).

Yehuda D likes this.
  7. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

An All around great Shave this Evening.
    Rockwell 6s
    Bolzano blade.
    Brush Atomic Rocket 26 mm. Synthetic. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Paul Turner

Classic Stoylin Spice shave this morning. The aftershave fooled me-I thought I was being careful enough, but a little burn still came out. It wasn't as bad as my first use though, when my face sounded like a summer rain on a hot humid Washington DC street. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Great final result though :).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  9. Yehuda D

I'll go a bit easy on the menthol tomorrow. Frozen Tundra mind you, is still very, very cold and its scent is wintergreen-based. Is it ever nice!

Frijolero and PLAla like this.
  10. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    For some people, the Sharp Dressed Man will always be an issue. One of the fragrance components for GIT, SDM, and other GIT clones is dihydromycrcenol. It's supposed to add a fresh pop to a scent. It's also an irritant for a small portion of the population. I did cut back on the amount of the fragrance in the soap and aftershave a while back, but for some people it is always going to be an issue, unfortunately. It's one of the reasons when customers ask me for recommendations for a first time buyer, I always recommend they buy samples. That way they can (A) find scents they like without breaking the bank, and (B) make sure that whatever fragrance or essential oil blend agrees with their skin.

11. Paul Turner

That's what happened with me and Sandpiper...got the sample first, and it felt natural to ,my skin. I was happy to go ahead and get the full bottle.

Gnomeo0228 likes this.
  12. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

This post saved me a phone call. I love SDM soap and find the scent mellow enough that it could easily be an everyday scent........ so I ordered the aftershave splash. The first time I used it I thought someone had slipped pepper spray into the ingredients. I had to jump back in the shower and try to was it off.

I tried it a couple days later on a dry, not freshly shaved face and it wasn’t as bad. But it was a real shocker for such a mild fragrance to feel like OC! I don’t get any signs of burning with the SDM soap, but do start to feel things heat up by the time I’m done shaving with Bakerstreet. I love the scent so I just shave a little quicker.

And I know it’s only February, but I’m starting eight months early in pleading for another run of Christmas Eve! That scent is crazy good!!!!

Linuxguile, Paul Turner and PLAla like this.
  13. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the details on SDM, @ezlovan , very interesting. I had this exact reaction after trying it, along with a few other Green Irish Tweed clones. Finally did find one that agreed with me, but the scent isn't nearly as good as Stirling's. ;)
    I couldn't agree more! Absolutely love the pine, cinnamon and spices scent. Christmas Eve is in my winter rotation (Oct - Mar) and I'm using it like crazy for the next month and a half. Then, hibernation time and out come the Glacials for summer.
    :Animatedfrozensmily:

14. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

I’m thinking of getting a bay rum scent. I keep hearing bay rum smells good.

Linuxguile and Yehuda D like this.
  15. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

I’m definitely going to need more glacials for summer time lol. MITA

Linuxguile and Yehuda D like this.
  16. Paul Turner

A "Stoylin All-Star" shave today(well except for the Gillette Sensor Deuce razor). I did much better with the Spice A.S. today-this is where that saying "Easy Does It" makes sense.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Yehuda D likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Although there are different brands and approaches, Bay Rum A.S. in general is quite good on the skin, has great history behind it, and, indeed, smells good. If there's any clove fragrance, be sure to mix that with the other features for best appearance(well, unless you're a clove man, that is).

jason koonce and Yehuda D like this.
  18. Yehuda D

Me too!

19. Yehuda D

I had a shave with the Frozen Tundra soap that felt so cold that I almost saw stars. Ok, a Glacial soap is still definitely colder but don't underestimate the Frozen Tundra because it's still capable of freezing your face off! (in a most delightful way, of course!)

Gnomeo0228 and jason koonce like this.
  20. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Stirling makes a nice Bay Rum.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jason koonce, Yehuda D and Linuxguile like this.