The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It is very good. Light clean citrus, cologne. Light enough to be a workplace type of scent also. I don’t mean light in scent strength, but light as in fresh. Soapy clean good.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm opposed to this "workplace scent" issue. I was in a job where two ladies wore perfumes that were real nice to "whiff". I didn't complain. Is the issue about allergies to certain scents?

Yehuda D, Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Yep, there's something about Piacenza and a soapy, citrusy scent that's really nice. I really enjoy it. "Soapy clean good" is an excellent description!

4. PickledNorthern

I am a construction superintendent, so I sort of juggle between field and office. Guys who wear too much “foo foo stink” on a job site, as one of my foremen calls it, come off weird. I never want to be “That Guy” in the Office, so I am very careful about what I wear to work. Piacenza works. Orange-y soap.

Linuxguile, PLAla and Yehuda D like this.
  5. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

When I was in business it never bothered me what perfumes my secretary wore, unless it was Magie Noire. Myself, I wear fragrances on an almost daily basis but two brands that nauseates me to no end are Joop and Pi. My wife gave me Pi as a birthday gift last year and I have yet to open it. One scent could easily wear daily is Acqua di Parma Blu Mediteranneo, which my wife loves. It would sure be nice if Rod made colognes and shipped them to a Canadian vendor so I could get my hands on them.

6. Paul Turner

Didn't someone recently send you info on some Canadian company that DOES have Stoylin products? Or maybe it was for a different brand you wanted???

7. Yehuda D

Yes they did. :)

8. Yehuda D

I feel a bit sad because I see that I still have quite a few other soaps and creams I've been neglecting so I'll be a Stirling boy again on Friday.

9. Paul Turner

That's a bit of how I',m feeling as I proceed through NB18. I am glad I "prepped myself" for the year, but each soap has a long wait til next time, after I use it again.

10. Yehuda D

Oh, I'll be using my Stirlings plenty but I owe my other soaps and creams some time as well.

Gnomeo0228 and Linuxguile like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

IT'S NOT MY FAULT ......

Thanks to @PickledNorthern and his band of accomplices who can easily be found here.....I did.... buy!

Relative newbie, and scent-wise, I've always been a Brut user.... Since being here at TSD, I expanded my horizons with a few other drugstore smells a little (very little). I wanted to experience more.

I have a small variety of soaps/cremes from my startup buys. Good soaps, but the popularity of Stirling Soaps was just too great to resist. And I could sample fragrances with the soap. Then I can look at what I'll call sets (shave soap, aftershave, bath soap, shampoo soap). My ultimate goal is a handful of scents. We will see if anything can make me turn on my old friend Brut.

First, I got some soaps and a tuxedo synthetic. I was impressed with the performance of both. There was no better soap type in my arsenal. I really like this brush. And then, I just wanted more, strictly scientific. ;)

I have an un-educated Brut preferring sniffer, choosing was hard. So I read the whole thread.... Whew! Okay, I skipped a few pages, but not many.

I'll take a feeble attempt at payback with my own comments. Unless I comment otherwise the shaving soap performance is a given.

REPORT.......Arkadia Shaving Soap..... The first one I used and the one that hooked me on performance. Very pleasant citrusy kind of smell that was liked by The Lovely Mrs Headroom. It is Brut friendly and there is nothing to keep me from finishing this sample. I sensed a 'lasting (heavy type) perfumey' smell that does keep me from pursuing the set further. Not offensive in this case, but somewhere in my life a woman overloaded with it choked a full elevator out in one floor travel, so I avoid it. Maybe someone here can help me identify it.

REPORT.........Executive Man......
    I can see why this is the top seller. Lemon citrusy, light fresh smells. Brut friendly and pleasant throughout time to both Max and The Lovely Mrs Headroom. The kindly folks at Stirling tossed in an EM bath soap sample in my initial order that upon use became the clincher. I ordered the full set.

If what we have here is a fanboy club, I'm in. My gratitude to all of you who have contributed heretofore.

Regards.

12. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Welcome to the Rabbit Hole.
    Great read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeraldgordon, PLAla and Edison Carter like this.
  13. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Congrats on taking the plunge. I just reviewed all of my Stirling purchases since last summer..................it almost looks like I was trying to open a shaving store!

I really like Arkadia, but there aren’t any right or wrong answers when discussing scents. If you like a light citrus scent without the heavier middle and base notes, Piacenza is a good scent for day to day. I own and enjoy both.

IF you’re up for a menthol hit, Orange Chill has a more basic but enjoyable citrus scent and a great face chill along with the reliabile Stirling performance.

PLAla and Edison Carter like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

Not cologne or EDT’s. They haven’t been released yet.

PLAla likes this.
  15. PickledNorthern

Welcome to the Stirling Fanboys then, and I guess that I am one of the most unabashed. There are so many great artisan soaps available today, it honestly takes more than just good soap to earn the loyalty I have come to have for Rod and Mandy over the years:

-Really great performing soap.
    -Full range of products. (bath, skincare)
    -Gigantic selection of scents.
    -Keeping their line affordable.
    -Offering a sample line that lets people take a real taste.
    -The integrity I have seen out of them to always make things right.
    -Being real members of the community.
    -Going at this 100%, Full time.
    -Sense of humor.
    -Both of them are vets.

I buy other soaps once in a while, but the list above is why 90% of my shaves and showers for the last few years are Stirling Soap.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    PLAla, Paul Turner and Edison Carter like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Sorry, I meant that for the Isreali Ambassador to TSD. He already replied.

PLAla likes this.
  17. Edison Carter

For sure about the scents. All one has to do is look at reviews on Electric Sheep. Anytime I feel like laughing, I try to repeat some of the things I have read about Lilac Vegetal. The Lovely Mrs Headroom has never heard them cause I look like this even thinking about it.... :happy097:
    Yup, Orange chill is here. Yup, Piacenza is on order.
    This is just gonna take me a while to get through them all. I'm likely to try to use up something that doesn't make the cut before I move on.
    For that reason I'm reluctant to try citronella.

PLAla likes this.
  18. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I have Electric Sheep because of its great reputation, but I don’t care for the citronella scent either, so I haven’t used it yet. I like Pine Sheep though.

I tried to like the Veg, but it smells absolutely awful to me. I decanted it to a glass jar and will wait a couple years to see if it improves. I read that it does...........though I can’t imagine it could improve enough.

Edison Carter likes this.
  19. Edison Carter

There has been some buzzing over a recent Sharpologist article on soaps. I noticed that Stirling has an unscented sheep tallow version. To me a pleasant aroma is desirable, so I passed. The beef tallow are nice.
    I seem to recall one of the 'chosen' stating there was a lasting talc scent to Veg, I'm not sure. The enduring 'baby powder' smell is my only objection to Clubman. There have been times I've used talc for chafing conditions but I don't like to.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  20. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

Excellent!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Edison Carter likes this.