The strange case of the blade that wouldn't die.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CSL, May 10, 2011.

1. CSL

CSL Member

I got back today from a trip that kept me away from home 20 days. The first day of the trip, I put a Super Iridium blade into my Sheraton (which is my travel razor of choice). Ordinarily, my routine is to ditch a blade after 3 shaves. However, because of a busy work schedule (I was at playing at a music festival) I used the same blade on days 4 & 5. Still getting good shaves, I decided to push on with the SI. Long story short, I used it for all 20 days, the last shave being today, in my van with cold water - again, a decent shave. Remarkable? Or have I just been missing the point up until now?
    My other gear items were T&H West Indian Limes cream, a TGN synth brush, Humphries witch hazel & Visal gelee.
    Oh, & BTW, I was doing some palm stropping.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All kneel to the power of palm stropping! :whacky084

3. sas71

sas71 Member

thats what gets me when i see people saying they toss them after the 2-3 shave. some blades dont get going good til that 3rd shave.

4. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

20 days is awesome. I usually get around 7 days without anything additional like drying or hand stropping.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The best I ever did was 15 shaves with a vintage English Wilkinson Sword blade in a red tip. No hand stropping to keep it going.

I popped a fresh one in this morning and thought about pitching it mid shave. I'll give it another day to see if it gets any better.

6. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I knew this post was coming!!

7. Tforc

Tforc Member

Stropping

Ok found a video on Palm stropping. After your done do you flip the blade over and put it back in the razor? On shave 3-4 of a blade you feel it gets better? I find a new blade works great and i am so eager to find blade nirvana that most don't make it past 2 shaves.
    feel my brain hurt sometimes with all the different razors creams soaps technique brushes case of sensory over load.:sick007
    Thanks
    B

8. CSL

CSL Member

I'm going to keep shaving with it. Maybe it's a magic blade.

9. CSL

CSL Member

News Flash -

Shave #21 in the bag.

The legend continues.......:sport001

10. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

I once had a Supermax Stainless last 11 shaves...

This thread has inspired me to push my current blade to it's limit - I'm 3 shaves deep on a Wilkinson Sword classic. Actually if it makes it to Saturday I'll be impressed, I usually swap out after 3.

11. Tforc

Tforc Member

The magic blade

And another blade i will have to try. Burning through bros sampler now.
    Thanks for the info learning something every day.
    B:rolleyes:

12. hddm3

hddm3 New Member

I had one go 13 days. My feathers go about 10 days. Does turning blade over help? Ive never done that before. Thanks again.:D

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As for flipping the blade before putting it back into the razor, I do. Does it make a difference? Really, for me, it's a matter of, "Can't hurt. Might help." Just something I've always done after hand stropping. The blade is flipped anyway during the stropping, I've just never bothered to insist that I always keep the same side up going back into the razor.

14. sas71

sas71 Member

i tried that once..felt kinda rough to me.

15. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I never understood chucking a blade after 2-3 shaves. I think you are missing Nirvana... Shave #1-2 are usually the roughest for me. Most shaves are better after shave 2 or 3. 4-6 are pretty level, then they drop off sharply (or Dull-ly as the case may be) after that. For me, a week is about average, but I rarely keep track.

Give your blades a few more shaves and see if they work better for you.

16. Tforc

Tforc Member

Heck Ya

I will give blades more shaves with hand stropping since i just learned that trick yesterday. With all the combos of soap,cream,blades it is learning curve at the moment, and i get to practice every day.
    Thanks
    B

17. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I'm with you Tforc!

18. CSL

CSL Member

Shave #22 successfully executed!

The rock keeps rollin' on.......:happy096

19. CSL

CSL Member

Shave # 23 is history.

EXCALIBUR = I believe!!!!!

PS. Does anyone know what the Guinness world record is???

20. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

^Check the Personna 74's!

I've found I can keep a blade going for as long as I want to (so far) (and i've never wanted to go past 10ish days, I like to ditch the blade and move to a different razor, I keep one razor bladed only). It'll cut hair, but it'll grow back fast. The fresher the blade, the longer the shave lasts... for me...