The switch from shavette to straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Kenneth Sampson, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

Thought I would post my first thoughts going from a shavette to a straight for those that might go the same route as myself. First, no nicks so that's good. Since it came shave ready I didn't strop it per the instructions sent by Larry. The shave itself was nice, you can tell when the angle of attack is off but when you find it, slices right through hair like it wasn't there. Did WTG and ATG passes on both the neck and cheek area. I rock a beard so didn't have to worry about much else. The biggest difference is the blade size. The shavette is smaller and I think easier to maneuver around the beard itself, I can almost do my whole first pass without having to move the blade anywhere but down with the longer straight. The shavette is heavier and more clumsy, where the straight is lighter and more balanced. With the shavette I had to clean the blade clamp area after every shave due to shave soap and hair getting in there, over time I think of you skip that step with the shavette it's going to rust really fast. The straight you just put under water, wipe off, put either oil or Vaseline on it and it's done.

Over all I think the jump is definitely worth it. There is a bit of satisfaction and masculinity associated with the straight. Just have to get used to the size and the preshave routine. Oh, and I recommend Larry at Whipped Dog. His sight unseen razor was affordable and it was better than I expected a sight unseen product to look like. Shipping was fast as well.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Very Nice!

3. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Sounds like you are starting a new and exciting journey. Congratulations.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

let the SRAD begin!

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Sounds like you did great. I just started with straights, but never used a shavette. I really like the shave of a straight and definitely the old school cool.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Excellent. Pretty soon you will start thinking about shaving more and more of that beard off. Then, before you know it, you will be clean shaved. Just because straights are soo much fun to use. ;)

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Kenneth Sampson

Haha, every time I shave it off I get the stink eye from the wife.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

RyX, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  9. DaltonGang

Funny, just the opposite for me. I get no hugs from the daughter's, and no kisses from the wife. Then again, about 3 weeks is about the longest I can go, without shaving. It itches so bad I want to scratch it off.

Billyfergie and Kenneth Sampson like this.
  10. Kenneth Sampson

Once you get by the itching part it's smooth sailing to a nice face mitten. I work outside 90% of the time and my beard helps with the cold. When I shave it off, I can tell a temp difference lol

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

RyX, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  11. DaltonGang

It's a moot point for me anyway, my job won't allow a beard. Also, Houston is hot and humid. I'm doing good to let my hair on my head grow out a couple of inches. It's a humid oven down here.

RyX, Spyder, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've had maybe a half-dozen or so shaves with a shavette. Honestly, although the results were decent enough, I felt the shave was harsher on my face (Mr. Sensitive Skin here) than a typical straight razor feels. Being able to 'soften' or smooth out a razor's edge to one's personal preferences is a real plus on the SR side. 'Sharp is sharp' as it applies to any shave-worthy blade, whether it be a shavette or SR- but the level of comfort one derives from the edge is of paramount importance to me

Bama Samurai, RyX, Spyder and 4 others like this.