There is something I don't understand...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rusty blade, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

There is something I don't understand. Maybe you can explain. Many of the SRs we see on "The Haul" in the SR forum are 50-100 years old. Some even older! In this throw away disposable world how do so many of these gems survive? And so many are in outstanding condition! They obviously fell out of fashion for the average gentleman who, in the 1940 and 50s started the changeover to the DE safety razor and in more recent days to the cartridge razor. I continue to be amazed at how many of these have survived. And yes, I know they probably made millions of SRs to meet the demands of the day. But lets' face it...a bit of moisture and neglect and they are useless. And yet so many have survived. I find that amazing.

Spyder, George X, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is an interesting observation.
    i-know-nothing.jpg

Spyder, Paul76, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think the explanation is simple. They were considered 'family heirlooms.' As for the good condition, it is also a simple explanation. Ask yourself, "how many people do you know, know how to use a straight razor?"

...and I'm not talking about forum members, but family, friends, and co-workers.

Edit: when the generation that actually cared about great-uncle Johnny's possessions passes away, and make-a-buck Stevie inherits said items, the $50 he can make off the razor is more important than whatever legacy he feels for a man he never knew.

4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Many SRs have Survived in the USA but in Western Europe Not so Many..In Germany During the 2nd World War in Particular Most SRs were Destroyed & Or Looted by Occupation Troops..Similar Story in a Lot of War Torn Europe & Of Course Cities Like War Torn London in the UK..:eek:

The Current Ones will be Evaporated Soon Anyway with the Almost Certain Coming Nuclear War..:happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

dangermouse, Spyder, oscar11 and 2 others like this.
  5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

They,re personal items and like PLANofMAN says there is an attachment to them. Well, at least for a generation or two then they turn into antiques.

6. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

My guess would be great grandpa moved on eventually and set aside straight razor but likely didnt throw it away, that's not a common trait for that generation. Especially if it was still fully functional. When the older generations pass many are picked up in yard sales and estate sales having spent many years in a closet/basement/attic. Grandkids dont see the use or reason to keep them so you and I pick up what would be a prized airloom for very little.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Spyder and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

You do find a lot of good condition old sr out there but for most I've collected it's taken a lot of work to bring them back to life. Like it was mentioned earlier about them being heirlooms they were passed down some used, some stored properly, but most neglected and left to unknowingly rust away. And eventually sold on the bay or to an antique shop, where they end up in our hands to spend countless hours sanding and polishing and re-scaling them.

Spyder likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I know I have done my best to restore a few Straights. I find the old ones are more enjoyable to use. They have age, history, and character behind them. Plus, I feel the 100+ oldies tend to shave just as well as modern made razors, at a fraction of their price(Gold Dollars not included).

Spyder, Paul76 and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Rusty blade

The older generations of folk knew the value of items because they didn't waste or throw anything out. I can see why they would have been kept..."just in case" they might be used again or re-purposed. There were likely found in the bottom of drawer when the older folks died and as some of you note they were kept for a period of time as heirloom pieces by children who then sold them off as they cleaned out the junk they had accumulated and decided there may be some value to antique collectors. I get that part. It still, in my mind, doesn't fully explain how so many have survived. I need to think this through more...

Spyder and Paul76 like this.
  10. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

What I find exceptional is some of the stories behind the manufacturer... one of mine was made by a Jewish company whom the Nazis put into a concentration camp. His brothers in America made bayonet and knives for American troops after that.
    The story behind the original owner is not relevant to me. To me, the story of a government just taking what it wanted and criminalizing the owner is a good reminder.

Keithmax, dangermouse, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Look at it this way...

I'm still hanging on to my Cub Scout uniform. I was going to throw it out, but my daughter wanted me to keep it. The uniform looks like it did in 1964. On the other hand, I still have my Gibson ES-335 guitar purchased back in 1973. It's an exquisite musical instrument and I would have to be crazy not to keep it.

One day in the future (very distant I hope), these will be someone else's gems.

Every razor has a story. Too bad they can't speak.

Spyder likes this.
  12. Rusty blade

Its interesting that items from the 1950s and onward to today were considered disposable items and only those with an eye for collecting would have held on to them.

Spyder likes this.
  13. Rusty blade

Interesting story. I am aware that at one time there were hundreds of manufacturers of straight razors back in the day. I imagine there were many good stories to be told regarding their history.

Spyder likes this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Every man ( in theory) has to shave. Millions of men using straight razors for over 200 years; means there was “ quite a few “ produced and in circulation. As eluded to in previous posts; generations of people that wasted nothing, insured that literally millions of razors survived through the years.

My dad kept his “keepsakes” in this box for my entire lifetime, including a straight that was either his or my grandpa’s. My older brother got the contents, including the razor. I got the empty box (below). I still need to revert back to my sniveling, snotty nosed kid whining, days, and maybe my big brother will cave and give me the razor :D

B493EDF6-FD75-411D-B03B-7800C6844CC0.jpeg 1E9D10B1-A80D-44FA-AD91-CC332CF3D98A.jpeg

Keithmax, JohnDB, M14Shooter and 3 others like this.