Thinking about a safety razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by basil, Nov 2, 2010.

1. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Howdy all,

So like the title says I'm thinking about using a saftey razor for those quick morning shaves. Anyone have any suggestions? If possible does anyone know of a razor made in '84 since it would be my both razor.

The blades are a whole different kettle of fish but I think maybe I'll use feathers or something else with a good reputation.

Any help will be great thanks.

2. basil

basil Well-Known Member

I was told to look for a black handled super speed with the date code E

Now to see if anyone has one they are willing to part with.

3. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Dont know too much about the date codes but the black handle gillettes look like they where the last DEs made in the 80s era.

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

The 1980s date codes for DE razors may be a little harder to come by, just based on what I've seen, but patience is often rewarded. Besides the Super Speed, the Super Adjustable was being made as late as 1985 according to this. Not sure but what you might find something like the G2000 as well.

If you saw this one coming, sorry, but I'm going to recommend injector razors for "those quick morning shaves" when you don't want to bother with your straight. Those cannot usually be tracked to an exact year, though, certainly not in the case of 1984.

5. gurgly

gurgly Member

My Super Adjustable was purchased new in 1987. It's date code is G2. I think this puts its manufacture in the 2cnd quarter of 86.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Have you looked here?

As for those quick morning shaves, I went from five minutes with a cartridge to a half hour with a DE.:D

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Razor suggestions appear handled, so I'll recommend getting a blade sampler pack to start. Everyone's face is different and you have to try the different blades to know what works best for you. Also, why pay $0.50/blade for feathers if you like $0.10/blade Personna blades just as well or better? Or maybe it SuperMax or 7 O'Clocks or ....