Thoughts After 30 Days

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Spyder, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

First off; thanks to each and every one of you for your encouragement, advice, tips and even the jabs.

Just a little over a month ago I was just only considering using a straight. (http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/thinking-of-joining-the-dark-side.53294/) Today it has been 30 days since I first picked up a straight. I have not touched a de or se the entire time, even for a touch up. In my own little mind, I felt this would be “cheating”. I have stayed with one razor the entire time, even though I have a beautiful razor made by Robinson Bros & Co, which is 5/8 with a round tip, begging to be used.

Some highlights that I have learned:

Pay close attention to ALL of the advice; one small detail I overlooked, was to buy a razor with a ROUND tip. This unheeded advice did cost me almost all of the blood loss. The spike also taught me to focus and pay very close attention to the blade at all times. However with those lessons now out of the way, I should hopefully be able to adequately shave with most blade designs. My shaves were adequate from the beginning and quickly improved by less blood and less remaining hair over the course of a couple of weeks. Focusing on properly stretching the skin was key to really beginning to obtain decent shaves. The last week or so, I have incorporated very minor tweaks to my technique and have begun to get bbs all over. For example: I have begun to apply more pressure on the first (wtg) pass. This has helped removing more hair during the first pass and made the subsequent pass(s) more comfortable and efficient. After the first pass, I can get bbs with directly agt passes on my cheeks and neck. My chin an upper lip require an xtg pass, followed by the agt pass. The agt pass is achieved by very short (~1/4”) strokes from the edge down. This technique has allowed me to get the bbs (dolphin smooth in Scottish terminology) shave on those areas.

My razor is also feeling much smoother. I don’t know if this is shaving technique, improved stropping technique, or a combination of both. Initially when stropping, I found I was exerting pressure on the edge of the blade. I found that I had better control and increased speed when just “letting the blade ride on the strop” with minimal pressure. I also found that my shaves improved when stropping the blade for 15 laps between passes. Now how much of my routine is voodoo, black magic, or just plain luck? But my shaves are really fantastic. I’m sure that as time goes on and as I gain experience, there will be minor tweaks here and there, but I’m 100% satisfied at this point.

I apologize for the long post, but I want to make sure that those that are contemplating trying the straight, know that there is a vast amount of support and knowledge here. And if one has the desire to learn the skills required to achieve a wonderful shave with a straight razor: You can do it. You won’t regret it. You owe it to yourself.

MR41, ojustme, 45auto and 17 others like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks for your honest review, Keith! :happy088:
    De-mystifying the whole 'straight razor routine' will make SR shaving considerably more appealing to those who are still undecided about taking the SR plunge.
    Going to SRs was, hands down, the best decision I ever made with regards to wet shaving. I, too, am thankful for those who provided encouragement and advice to me along the way.

45auto, Keithmax, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks, Kevin. I also wonder how many of your wonderful pictures on the SOTD inspire and lure people to the dark side? I know I'm one of those:)

4. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips. I switched to safety razors because I was tired of expensive carts getting constantly clogged up with hair. I never thought that I'd be joining shaving forums or that I'd ever contemplate using a straight razor, but after seeing several members switch, I'm curious to try it myself. Hopefully I'll have the finances to dive in next year. I've been doing a lot of window shopping lately for strops and razors, and I'll be sure to keep an eye out for round tips. I don't think that I'll ever give up my DE razors but a straight might be fun to use every once in a while.

bdalemauger, Keithmax, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

It's really amazing how affordable straights can be. A really nice str8 can be had for the price of a slim. The one I have been using cost less than $25.
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3IK6G98MS.jpg

45auto, DaltonGang, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

LOL, I'm just the opposite. I'm purging all but two of my de's out cuz a de shave once in a while might be fun:). I'm also only going to keep a couple injectors. I hate the thought of vintage unused razors collecting dust on my shelf.

Keithmax, Jim99, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  7. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

What a good post; no need to apologise, I thoroughly enjoyed reading of your experiences and I'm so glad I have a rounded tip! Thanks for sharing.

Karl G, Spyder, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  8. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I want to have a straight in my monthly rotation; I have some SE razors that I literally adore, so I can't imagine completely going straight but who knows where the road will lead.

Karl G, Jim99, Redfisher and 3 others like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088: and it only gets better!

Karl G, Spyder, Redfisher and 2 others like this.
  10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Hiv a Wee Dram..:eatdrink047:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, Keithmax, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I applaud your success and enthusiasm! I know it has helped me make the leap to finally getting serious about SR shaving.

Karl G, dangermouse, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Great post. Being on this forum pushed many of us here to the dark side. My first 20+ shaves were a struggle and I thought about giving up. Somewhere around the 30th shave, it kind of clicked for me. I really love SR shaving, but I still enjoy a good DE, SE and injector shave when I'm pressed for time on most work days.

Btw, is it just me or have we been seeing a lot more converts to the dark side lately?

Drygulch, Karl G, dangermouse and 3 others like this.
  13. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

@Spyder, thanks for posting this. I've been contemplating making the plunge into straights for years, and decided I'm going to try to gather the supplies (razor and strop) sometime after the holidays when my wallet has a chance to recover slightly. Posts like yours take away some of the uncertainty I've had about the whole process.

Karl G, dangermouse, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Billyfergie, Karl G and Jim99 like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Keith, you are one of the individuals here that provided me with numerous advice and encouragement, it is very much appreciated and key to helping me make this transition to straights such a pleasurable experience:)

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I'll tell you this; if I can do it, anybody can do it. Having the ability to shave with a straight is the most satisfying aspects of shaving.

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Isn't it cool to be able to shave with just a piece of steel and lather and do it the way it was done for 100's of years by our ancestors?

18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Great post...thanks for sharing. When I first started SR shaving I was all in and only used a straight exclusively for the first few months. Now I alternate among DE, SE and SR. I appreciate each style of shaving for what it has to offer.

Keithmax, Billyfergie, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That's part of the mystique, and cool factor.

20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

@Spyder , I have enjoyed reading about your move to straights. The best part for me is when I see questions I can help with, because it makes me think about and improve my technique too. I have also noticed and encouraged a lot of new converts to the dark side.

simms623, Karl G, Keithmax and 2 others like this.