Thoughts on a second razor? Have a Feather Portable now.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sansnom, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Sansnom

Sansnom New Member

Hi guys,

So I've been wet shaving on and off for about a year.

I have a Feather Portable that I used for a while. Really like how it feels in the hand but it feels too short (which makes sense given that it's a travel razor).

I also have a cheapie Wilkinson Sword plastic razor that I picked up for funsies while in Portugal.

Anyway, I have two questions/requests for advice:

1) I'm looking for a fullsize razor to use daily and really get used to wetshaving every day (I usually go to the electric for day to day and wetshave on wkds but I'd like to change that). I've looked at the threads but my question here is slightly different since I already have the Feather; I was looking for something a little different or something that will complement the Feather in my collection...thoughts?

2) I've heard that a Gillette Tech handle will fit the Feather and allow me to make it a daily shaver, has anyone done this? And where does one source a Tech handle anyway?

Thanks!

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

1) EJDE89L

2) I have a Fat Tech handle on my Feather portable and it works just fine. You can get Bull Mastiff handles from Cooncatbob

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

You can pick up a complete Tech for cheap and then only use the handle.

I bought a lot of four razors, which included a beaten up fat handled tech where the handle was in good shape, and an open comb NEW where the handle was cracked. I swapped the handles and it made a great razor.

Or you can go the custom route like Stingraysrock suggests.

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

The easiest way to get a Tech handle is just to buy a complete Tech razor. If you don't care what condition the head is in, you should be able to find one for maybe $5 to $10, even less, perhaps, at a thrift shop or non upscale antique store.

About this full sized razor thing, though. DE razors tend to be on the short side, and I think you'll find that a Tech handle will only add about a quarter inch to the length of your Feather. There are models with longer handles, but if you use the Feather more regularly, you may find that the short handle is not such a bad thing.

That's not to say you shouldn't try something else, but there are so many razors out there that I'll stay away from recommending a specific one at this time.

An edit to add something. One very common reaction, when people see a classic DE razor like a Gillette Super Speed, or many of the modern models, like a Merkur 1904, is that it's so much smaller than they expected. Of course, weight is a factor too, and the Feather Portable is pretty light.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good answers so far, but check out this thread on what new razor to buy.

6. Sansnom

Sansnom New Member

Thanks for the responses all. I was actually looking at the EJ 89L especially since it's so reasonably priced. I'd already taken a look at the thread you posted Steve, and was looking for more suggestions of razors available new.

I think for now I'll stick with the Feather, because as Slivovitz pointed out, a new handle would provide increased length but not dramatically. I've ordered a new blade sampler pack from the Superior Shave so I'll probably try and get through that and see which blades work best for my face and also begin to justify the investment before I give in to the RAD. Then once I get more experience I might get an EJ89L or maybe a Merkur 34C or 38C (for that nice long handle and heft :) ).

If the new razor doesn't cure the itch or I find that the Feather was just perfect but needed a longer handle I'll order the custom handle, but for now I can't justify spending that much to upgrade the Feather.

7. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

i just ordered myself a custom razor and brush set. It is basically a merkur 38 long handle. There are so many great razors out there for a second razor, most people are saying the EJ89L and then a Merkur 38

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool. Let us know what you finally decide on.

Oh, the new razor won't cure the itch, to be sure. It may sooth the symptoms for a while... ;)