Thoughts On An Omega 10019??

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DaltonGang, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I had a short one with the chrome handle....I LOVED MINE !!!! Bought it for travel and used it every day for like 3 years....Can't rave enough about it! And yes it was skritchy! But it got a little softer, but I loved the facial massage it gave me every morning!

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That's a very different brush from the 10019 though.

3. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

As I noted in my post, he might prefer a boar with higher loft. I had a smaller Vulfix boar and hated it. To me, the extra length of the bristles helps to equalize the face feel. Just my two cents.

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That might be true indeed. Those barber style brushes are very different, in my opinion.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm going to lather it, like I stole it, tonight. Time to beat it into submission, let the splaying begin.

GatorJoe and dustmite like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Having owned and used a variety of both Semos and Omega boars, I've found the knots to be different in one regard: the Semos tend to be softer (floppier) than the Omegas. If one prefers a softer boar, the Semos would be the preferred choice. Better? Not if one wants a good, stiff backboned boar brush.
    The three Semos I've owned were all quite decent brushes. With the exception of the stiffer tricolor brush ((Italian Barber limited 2012; shown at right in photo below), the Semos softened considerably and splayed widely after use. I actually prefer a denser, stiff knot. I eventually sold both the SOC (pictured in middle) and the tricolor.
    [​IMG]

I've kept the Semo 610 (left above), but it has softened (bloomed) to a point where I tend to seek out a stiffer boar brush...
    semog830_bloom_zpsd98980d1.JPG

PickledNorthern and Jorvaljr like this.
  7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I like your point of view. Thanks for this.

sky pilot 83 likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

Well, I lathered it like I stole it tonight. When I lathered, I splayed the bristles out, and that gave some great lather. But, it was quite the workout. I'm not giving up, yet.

GatorJoe, sky pilot 83 and dustmite like this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

How long (or how many times) have you been using it now?

It should break in within a month, in my opinion.

10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Good observations!

Plus, compared to the Omega knots, the Semogues are lather-eaters in my experience.

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Agree this is one of the YMMV things. My favorite brush has the knot from an Omega 10066. I used it for a year and a half before I moved the knot, and found it to be very soft but with tons of back bone. I tend to splay my brushes a lot, loading, in the bowl and on my face. I don't like knots without a lot of backbone, and actually got rid of my Semoge once it broke in. I typically don't like soft badgers or synthetics, so take it for what its worth.

12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It varies from brush to brush. No idea why.

13. PickledNorthern

No. Some stink some don't. No different than horse or badger.

****Edit - Sorry, I didn't notice I had replied to you on this already.

14. PickledNorthern

I wouldn't say that a guy can really tell what it's going to turn into until you have a couple of dozen lathers on it.

DaltonGang likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I say give it 30 straight face lathering shaves and then report back.

DaltonGang and sky pilot 83 like this.
  16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That's what I said; one month.

17. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi Scott, and everyone, I only have two Omega Boar brushes to compare to yours, and they are a different model. Although the box looks similar to me, the brush is a travel brush. But it does have an original Omega knot. Both of my Omegas are the 010014 model travel brush. It was similar to yours only in that the brush was stiff when new, and it had the funk like yours. The funk went away right away, but the bristles are still stiff. I've had the brush I've used for a couple of years. I got the new one last year and never opened it. Remarkably, the new one doesn't seem funky like the first one. I have used the open one off and on for a couple of years, and it is still a bit stiff. I think it will always be that way. In the beginning I did have to treat the knot with shampoo and conditioner to loosen it up and get rid of the funk. I just wanted to share this little bit of info in case it might help you. Here's a photo of the brushes and box I case you are curious about the packaging-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a great day all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drygulch and DaltonGang like this.
  18. DaltonGang

I've only been ably to use it about 5 times so far. I will get to work on using it again this Monday. I'm just mainly curious if all Omega Boar brushes were like this, or just this model. Also, if the brush loosen ups after a little time, and approx how long that would take.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

In my experience you should start to feel a difference after about two weeks of shaving. If the tips are still not split after a month, something is wrong with the brush.

20. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

Own Omega 10049. Took forever to break in. Does a great job with croap and tripled milled soap. Defunked using shampoo and about a week of use and odor was gone.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk