Thoughts on Saponificio Varesino soaps?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

I have Asylum and Flying Mango and find them to be good soaps. I have many that are less expensive and much better soaps though.

ob1page likes this.
  2. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

If you ever want to sell that Asylum please let me know.

3. ob1page

What is the staying power of the 70th Anniversary balm? I want to get the soap but I've heard that their balms, while excellent, do not have a strong scent and it fades rather quickly.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

The 70th balm is a perfect match for the soap but not strong at all. I pick up a pleasant yet subtle whiff every now and then for a couple hours but then it's pretty much gone.

ob1page likes this.
  5. ob1page

Thank you for this info.

6. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I have most of the SV soaps...(not arctic tundra and flying mango), and LOVE them all...very complex scents and they will last a very very very long time...if you like aqua di gio then get colonia, if you like more floral then 70th, FA, or even cosmo....they all are great scents and I have a hard time compairing them to anything else that I have tried other then the colonia.

Ksblazer, dangermouse and GatorJoe like this.
  7. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

To me they are the best non tallow soaps. Period.

8. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Why do such good soaps have to cost so much? :(

ob1page and theFAT98 like this.
  9. theFAT98

I guess you get what you pay for?

ob1page likes this.
  10. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Supply and demand?
    Because they can?

Because they last so long, it is only a large up front cost but on a per shave, it really isn't that bad

ob1page and theFAT98 like this.
  11. theFAT98

Yep. Ive had my 2 SV soaps for more than 2 years and they are both still like 90 to 95 % full.

ob1page likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

sounds like something i would look into when some of my other soaps are gone.

Ksblazer and ob1page like this.
  13. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

From my visit to Pasteur's Pharmacy, I grabbed 70th Anniversary and Stella Alpina and they are both great.

Wife LOVES 70th!!

Ksblazer and theFAT98 like this.
  14. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Just got an email that a Manna di Sicilia Limited Edition Beta 4.3 in a tin is now available.

[​IMG]

theFAT98, ob1page and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I have the 70th, bought it about a month ago. It must be one of the most expensive soaps I have but I think it was worth it. Triple milled soaps last a long time.

JCainIII, Ksblazer and ob1page like this.
  16. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Since I purchased my 70th with PannaCrema Verde, it is not the most expensive soap I have but it is DEFINITELY worth it. I just love the scent and the performance makes it a top 5 soap.

What is really interesting is that I showed my wife the Manna di Sicilia Beta 4.3 and she says to me, and i quote,'if you want to get it I have no problem if you do'. Now, the way she said it I had to ask does she want me to get it for me or am I really getting it for YOU!! The smile that broke out on her face spoke the truth. She says that she has been happy using my soaps and have been enjoying them that we probably meed more since her and I are sharing them to shave with and my daughter enjoys washing her face with the leftovers. I simply replied, if you want it, I will get it. No need to fabricate an excuse. To that she said, 'well I do enjoy the Dolomiti, Stella Alpina and 70th so you might as well :)'

Got to love wives, especially when they share your interests and hobbies.

17. ob1page

If that's the case then you should also order an Tundra Artica, fantastic scent, a very woody Oud base and of course that wonderful SV performance.

Ksblazer and SharptoothC like this.
  18. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

See, now you are thinking like me. That was the plan all along. For some reason, I do not love Felice Aromatica even though the scent profile posted suggests I should. I am not sure yet about Cosmos. Other than those two, I will then have the entire line.... and enough soap for a good 5 - 10 years.

ob1page likes this.
  19. ob1page

Do you have Asylum? That one is also fantastic, it's scent is that of a high end Italian cologne

20. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

No, I don't and I do not see it on their site at the moment. Got into wet shaving only this year so I only have items from their current lineup. So far, they are all awesome.

Ksblazer and ob1page like this.