Tightening Scales

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    How? Without damaging them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. migralda

migralda New Member

Search on YouTube for razor peening videos, the same technique is used to tighten the pins in the scales.
    A gentle touch with a light hammer is essential, it is all too easy to bend the pin.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Use a small ball speed hammer, and an anvil. Light taps. Some scales don't cooperate, and the pin warps. Some pins are sunken into the scales, and these need the pins removed, then reset.

RezDog, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I tried it based on a youtube video for a razor that was almost unusable. It was easy to do and worked great. But, I am positive that it is a YMMV situation.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

There are a Few Wee Tricks with Tightening Scales..If they Will Tighten that is..Some Solingen Razors for Example have the Annoying Habit of Placing the Hinge Pin Right at the End of the Scales Compared to Some SRs..When the Pin is Tightened it Can have the Opposite Effect & Make the Scales More Loose..Its a Bugger Cause the End of the Scales Can Open Out More Splayed..;)

Heating the Scales & Closing them Up a Tad Can Help then Cool it Under Cold Water..I Use a Lot of Gentle Taps to Tighten Pins Rather than Heavy Blows..There Can be a Risk of Breaking the Scales or Bending the Pin Depending on Condition..:)

If I Tighten Pins & Scales for Folks I Always Inform them of the Potential Risks & Let them Make the Decision on the Understanding that Something Can Go Wrong..My Waver..:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    JazzDoc, Jim99, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011: What they said. Pick up a small amvil and a ball peen hammer. Remember light taps . I light my scales tight.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Just be where anvils are expensive

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I bought a very small round anvil. It's round, 3 inches in diameter and 2inches thick. It was not expensive.

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

You are lucky Ive found about a dozen the cheapest being 50 bucks... I have a friend that is going to make me one though.

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Amazon has them for under $14 and I'm sure they can be found on eBay. Try searching for Small Anvil.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

My Bench Vise has a built in Anvil, that I use.

HolyRollah, Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Thats what I use!

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  13. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I have one on my vice but it's not very flat/smooth. I may try it though have a few loose scales.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This.
    ...then I place a jewelers block atop this vise anvil for finishing the peening process. Keeps the head finish real purdy-like!
    [​IMG]

JazzDoc, Keithmax, gssixgun and 3 others like this.
  15. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I'll likely just get a block of steel to place on top of my vice. I know where I can get a piece from a forklift tine...

Hoping in time my sword making buddy will start producing razors.

Keithmax, Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  16. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Keithmax and markjnewcomb like this.
  17. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Let's keep it simple. If you are looking for an inexpensive replacement for an anvil then just take a hammer and lay it on its side...instant anvil! All you need is a stable piece of solid metal large enough to accommodate the head of the pin. Works great for me.
    IMG_1836.jpg

Keithmax, Jim99, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

As @Rusty blade mentioned above. This guy even made a couple of marks on the hammer to keep the razor in place.......

DaltonGang, Keithmax, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  19. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Something to keep in mind you tap around the edge of the peen, which is the reason you need a Ball Peen Hammer

That is a really old vid but honestly I haven't changed hardly anything :)