To disassemble, or not to disassemble

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Woody2436, May 28, 2010.

1. Woody2436

Woody2436 New Member

I wanted to get a little input from you guys about what you do with your razor after a shave. I have read comments online that explicitly state you should always take your razor apart and let the components dry. I have also read statements indicating that this is not nessesary, written as if the author was trying to clear up a misconception.

Certainly if you are using a carbon steel blade it needs to come apart and be dried, but I haven't found a carbon steel DE blade yet. Assuming we are talking about stainless blades, what is the concensus?

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

there probably won't be one on this topic. I don't dissasemble. I put the blade in and leave it until its time to change it out.

3. sffone

sffone Member

I put the blade in and leave it until it's time to put in another blade. In the beginning, I would disassemble after every shave, but soon decided that it wasn't worth the bother.

4. I leave my razor assembled and I simply dip the head in a little rubbing alcohol that I keep in a jar under the sink. That way everything is nice and dry and it's still faster than taking apart the three piece razors I use.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

No disassembling, no alcohol, and no problems for me.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

7. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

I also use the alcohol dip method, though I'm not sure how necessary it is except for my GEM Micromatic.

8. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Count me among this crowd.

9. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Disassemble and then reassemble.

I, until today, would disassemble my 3-piece tech, take the blade out, dry the blade in front of a fan, then take a small spray bottle of 91% alcohol, spray the blade thoroughly, let it dry, and wrap a piece of tissue around it and store in a small pill bottle that was cleaned out. I would then take all parts of my 3-piece tech and wipe them down with a bath towel to get the sinkwater grime mixed with foam/soap, and then reassemble it and put my razor down in line with my other razors on top of my dresser. I used to dry my blade and then spray some Remington Shaver Saver on it then wrap it up and put it in the pill bottle. Now what I'm trying, since I have a Twinplex Stropper, is still spray 91% alcohol on it, let it dry thoroughly, put it in the stropper, strop it, and then store the blade in the stropper until next use as per instructions. If I find any rust on it, I'll go back to at least storing my blade in a pill bottle to keep it dry. But I will still do my usual process of disassembling my razor, wipe it down with a towel to make it shine again, and then reassemble it until it is time for me to shave again. I know this seems a little ritualistic, but do what you must to keep your razor and blade as dry as it can be in order to avoid rust, moisture, and overexposure to air which can all damage a blade and razor. Everyone has there own way of preserving a blade and razor. An acquaintance of mine told me he shaves in the shower with nothing but hot water and a Mach Three, he says that he just pats his razor with a towel to keep it dry. He told me that he's been using the same cartridge for about a year now:eek: I was just stunned to hear that!

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Rinse, shake, hang up on stand, done.

It appears we have some sort of consensus after all.

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :sihns011

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I think this may be a first for TSD.