Tough beards, sensitive skin. What razors do you use?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fly2High, Mar 17, 2017.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Aggressive razor with smooth blade and stay away from ATG. I use wide open adjustables most often with Astra or Permasharp Supers.

MObigfoot and Tdmsu like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would suggest a Gem micro matic clog proff with a CS blade. Not as aggressive as the open comb but a awesome wisker wacker.

Terry likes this.
  3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

For me, the Futur set on six with a mild blade like voskhod works best for my sensitive skin and steel wool beard. I only do two passes on my neck now, and that has mostly eliminated burn there.
    I have not had good luck with Feather blades - too unforgiving, and they don't get me any closer than voskhods. I will use a personna lab blue and dial down the Futur to five for similar results.

crackstar likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i do a wtg pass first to take the bulk off then a combination across /against the grain,then a few touch ups.i generally do this with my rockets.with my techs i do 3 passes and touch ups depending how many days growth i have.astra sp,gsb ,voskhod,gillette platinum all produce great shaves with these razors,little to no irritation or nicks.i always use proraso pre shave and a hot towel before bowl lathering.

crackstar likes this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My go-to DE is my mild, trustworthy Super Speed. I have sensitive skin but I find Astras, Voskhods, and Rapiras to be the best blades for me. Never again will I use Feathers because I received terrible cuts from them.

PickledNorthern likes this.