Dismiss Notice
Don't miss your chance to enter the TSD Mini-Raffle One week only! Ends Sunday, July 2nd.

Tough beards, sensitive skin. What razors do you use?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fly2High, Mar 17, 2017.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Aggressive razor with smooth blade and stay away from ATG. I use wide open adjustables most often with Astra or Permasharp Supers.

MObigfoot and Tdmsu like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would suggest a Gem micro matic clog proff with a CS blade. Not as aggressive as the open comb but a awesome wisker wacker.

3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

For me, the Futur set on six with a mild blade like voskhod works best for my sensitive skin and steel wool beard. I only do two passes on my neck now, and that has mostly eliminated burn there.
    I have not had good luck with Feather blades - too unforgiving, and they don't get me any closer than voskhods. I will use a personna lab blue and dial down the Futur to five for similar results.

crackstar likes this.
  4. brit

brit Well-Known Member

i do a wtg pass first to take the bulk off then a combination across /against the grain,then a few touch ups.i generally do this with my rockets.with my techs i do 3 passes and touch ups depending how many days growth i have.astra sp,gsb ,voskhod,gillette platinum all produce great shaves with these razors,little to no irritation or nicks.i always use proraso pre shave and a hot towel before bowl lathering.

crackstar likes this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My go-to DE is my mild, trustworthy Super Speed. I have sensitive skin but I find Astras, Voskhods, and Rapiras to be the best blades for me. Never again will I use Feathers because I received terrible cuts from them.

PickledNorthern likes this.