Traveling blade box...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MikekiM, Jun 9, 2011.

?

Would you be interested in participating in a Traveling Blade Box ??

Poll closed Jun 19, 2011.
  1. Yes!! Love the idea!!

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No, I'm not really interested

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I participated in something like this on another forum and it was a blast. Wondering if anyone would be interested in participating..

We accumulated a few different blades, as singles and/or packs and passed the box of blades from one person to another to give, take and pass on. The concept was simple. and something like..

Only blades can be included.. no tube keys, blade banks etc..

The box passes on a predetermined course from one person to the next.

We keep the group small so the last person isn't waiting forever. No more than 15 people.

When it's your turn, make sure you keep the box for only a few days. Replace what you take with an equal quantity..take a single, replace it with a single. Take a pack, leave a pack. Leaving more than you take is okay.

The box moves on to the next person in line.

Each person is responsible for postage required to get the box to the person after them.

There were a few other 'rules' but for the sake of gauging interest, let's leave it this...

Consider this a 'feeler'.. If there is ample interest, I'll get to the next step..

So, would you like to participate? If you think you might be able to help seed the box with some blades PM me.. I have a decent collection of blades for a newb, but it would be nice to have the box start off with a good selection

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Why not, count me in. The box would be alot smaller and cheaper to mail than our current grab box.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I can sense a certain risk on this one. Do I really need to be buying more blades?

Well.... hmmmmm....

4. MikekiM

:confused::confused::confused:

That's the idea.. you don't need to buy more.. You probably have a few in your inventory that aren't your favorites. And the box will surely have some you like that others don't care for. YMMV pretty much guarantees that.

I would make the stipulation that the recipient shouldn't unload the 75 boxes of Derby's they have in exchange for Med Personna's or something like that.. but it's a good chance to mix up your stock.

If done right, you don't increase your inventory.. rather you improve your inventory!

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you can edit the poll, I would change the No it sounds lame, to a no I'm not really interested. I have sampled about 40 different types of blades and am perfectly happy with my stash of blades. I don't really want to participate, but I also don't think it's a lame idea at all. I think it would give someone that has had limited exposure a great chance to sample some blades.

6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I don't think its a lame idea at all either, but I do have my own box of blades, I'm pretty much set unless I decide to buy some Black Beauties again.

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I was also thinking that I would find a new favorite blade to buy 100 of or more. But yes, I also get the idea of improving your blade allotment. I will give it a go for the first round to see what happens.

8. bjmoose

bjmoose New Member

Count me in. I'm fairly new as well, so am still looking for the "perfect" blade. This would be a great help!

9. MikekiM

Oh man.. you guys are absolutely right..

My first poll and I blew it. I should have added a third choice of "Not interested, but good idea"

I've checked to see if I can edit the poll but it doesn't look like I can.

My sincere apologies for over-looking this.

10. NoahG

NoahG Member

mulling this one over. its def a good idea, I just have a decent sized assortment of blades to try at the moment and I'm falling behind on that with the SEs, Injector and Str8s.

11. MikekiM

To be frank, and thinking this through as a participant instead of an organizer.. Like you, the last thing I need is more blades. It isn't as much the blades that come out of it, but the fun, anticipation and camaraderie that goes into it, as the box travels around. Just a way to close the geographic distances between all of us and have some fun over the summer.

Maybe, next time we do a Traveling Brush Box...?? Seeding that would be some feat!!

:happy102:happy102:happy102

12. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I have an assortment of blades and would be happy to contribute. The book on blades by Krumhoz was a recent purchase of mine and I have bought several packs of collector's blades. It might be nice to have a separate ziplock bag for several of these, iridiums, or others.:signs021

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Based on the massive negative response I got from my idea of a Colgate Soap Puck Pass I cannot imagine peeps would go for a brush box pass...

Back to the OP though... I would participate in a blade box pass. I have a few onsies and twosies here and there to pass around and the Grab Bag FOR SURE has a massive pile O' blades that could be pressed into service.

BTW... I am posting from the Droid via Tapatalk and I have no option to post in the poll...

14. MikekiM

Doug, when I participated in this previously, the box had one ziplock with full packs of blades, another with what I will call 'generic' blades (Feather, Merkur, Derby, Personna Reds, Various flavor of Astra & Gillettes, Blue Birds etc), one with what are less familiar to many (Vashkod, Rapira, Treet, Racer, Rainbow, Personna Blues to name just a few) and an envelope with a huge assortment of one-offs. I may have a picture of the box contents.. I'll look for it. I suppose we could a ziplock for Injector blades as well.. that would cool. But I don't have anything to seed with, other than the half used pack I use in my PAL.

Jeff, I was kidding about the Brush Box.. but heck, one never knows. I must have missed the Colgate Puck Pass..I would have done that!

I've been meaning to try Tapatalk.. didn't know if it worked with TSD!!

Sounds like there might be a little steam behind this idea.. :D

And, thanks to the Mods for the edit-assistance!!

15. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Sure - I would be interested - it is a little like the grab box but It would be cool to have a smaller box going around with just blades. - Sign me up.

16. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

You can count me in.

17. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I could probably send some "seed" blades to you if this becomes reality. Also, a nice twist would be to have a review of the various blades from the donor similar to some of the comments that you had. There were an assortment of soaps and creams in the Grab Bag that I just forwarded with no label nor comment. Some were Russian? creams that I would have liked to had just one shave with but knew nothing about them and wanted to send the box the next day with out holding it up to find out more. That might be another idea of sending a small box of tubes around with a write-up. Best regards, Doug:happy088

18. MikekiM

Great input Doug and if we get momentum on this, anything you can contribute would be appreciated.

On a side note... I have never experienced the Grab Bag a few of you mentioned. Details??

19. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I lilke the idea. Count me in

20. jcwit

jcwit Member

Not for me, I consider myself set fairly well and have 100 coming from Jody's group buy.