TSD 36pc Blade Sampler

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Kawika503, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Shave 8: Sharp Durablade Chromium Polymer DE razor blade:
    And finally, the last shave with this blade - see how I faired...

Pre-Shave:
    Warm water in lather bowl; soaked my brush
    Hot shower and daily face wash
    No TBS Shave Oil on my 1st and 2nd passes
    VDH gly-soap face lather - lathering this way has been consistent and I've been enjoying it. Saving my bowl latherings for weekends!

Shave:
    Face lathered
    1st pass WTG: From East to West - relatively smooth with only a little bit of tugging along the jawline; no weepers
    Rinsed, reapplied FL
    2nd pass XTG: North to South - going slow and taking care not to apply too much pressure; good pass for beard reduction
    Rinsed, applied TBS SO and then re-FL
    3rd pass ATG: South to North - started under my chin, focusing on my jawline and undergrowth.
    No 4th pass needed, just minor touch-ups in my normal "trouble spots"

Post-Shave:
    Warm water rinse, left face wet
    Applied Alum via alum stick - Burn baby burn!
    Applied EMJ post shave lotion - love this stuff!
    Cleaned up my sideburns while I was at it

Conclusion:
    So far, out of the 4 blades I've tried, this one was very peculiar. It almost seemed that it shaved better on my last shave than on the first shave. Almost as if the blade had to "dull-up" a little before I could consider my shaves decently comfortable. Shave 1 was rough and felt like the blade was scratching my face. Shave 2 was a disappointment, the blade still felt stiff and i caught a few weepers while I was at it. But then there was shave 3, the fairest of them all. The blade was smooth-er, while still very sharp. I managed 3passes resulting in a very close shave and little to no irritation.

Final Thought:
    I think I want to save these for later. Even though we started out rough together, I'm hoping to try the remaining blades in a different razor a little later when I'm not racing the clock. For now I'm moving on to my next blade in the tour. I've been wanting to try the Personna Blue, so I'm going to use that blade for the next 3 shaves. Once again...I can't wait until my next shave!​

2. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Shave 9: Personna Super Blue DE razor blade:
    I've been waiting a long time to shave with this blade; this morning it finally happened...

Pre-Shave:
    Applied TBS Shave Oil to damp face

Attempted to Super-Lather using VDH gly soap and COBigelow (still working on my Super Lather technique, results were so-so)

Shave:
    Applied SL on top of TBS SO
    1st pass WTG: From chin to ear along jaw line and then lips to chin and down the neck - Good reduction for first pass
    Rinsed, reapplied SL (no oil)
    2nd pass XTG: Going in opposite directions - Finished without any irritation; still good whisker reduction

Rinsed, applied TBS SO and then reapplied SL
    3rd pass ATG: Produced a very close shave, however requiring touch-ups

Omitted SL and used straight oil for buffing and polishing

Post-Shave:
    Applied Alum via alum stick - Whoop, There It Is!
    Applied EMJ post shave lotion - *big sigh*
    DONE!

Conclusion:
    Using this blade has been a long time coming. I thought the blade itself was sharp - however not as sharp as the Sharp blade that I used during my previous shave. This blade gave good beard reduction and 3-passes was all that was needed today. How this blade differs from the Sharp, is in its smoothness. Unlike the Sharp, the Personna Blue glided well over my face (even over areas w/o lather) and didn't offer any "scratchy" feeling. Touch-ups happened without any blood loss and I was left was a decently smooth and irritation-free shave.

Final Thought:
    For my first run with this blade, it's proving to be up to snuff with the other blades I've used so far - being sharp and smooth at the same time. I find it to be in the middle of the Astra SP and the Sharp, as those 2 blades have given me the best results thus far. Also, since discovering that the blade gap on my current RazoRock 3pc is almost equivalent to the blade gap of my Fat Boy, enlightening me to the fact that my RR 3pc is an aggressive razor, I can't help to think if dialing down my Adjustable or trying this blade in my Tech (smaller blade gap) would produce an even "better" shave. But, as stated in other posts, I am committed to my RR 3pc for the rest of my blade tour. Still, it has me wondering...

Jayaruh likes this.
  3. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Shave 10 & 11: Personna Super Blue DE razor blade:
    I wrote about my 2nd shave with the Personna Blue blade, but unfortunately it was lost during the outage. I concluded my trial of this blade last Saturday and the results mirrored my 2nd shave, so instead of writing about it twice, I opted to combine the reviews.

Pre-Shave:
    Applied TBS Shave Oil to damp face
    Worked up an AMAZING SuperLather using VDH Gly soap and TBS Maca Root non-foaming shave cream

Shave:
    Applied SL on top of TBS SO
    1st pass WTG: From chin to ear along jaw line and then lips to chin and down the neck - sharp blade, smooth and good reduction
    Rinsed, reapplied SL (no oil)
    2nd pass XTG: Going in opposite directions - Very good beard reduction, but I opted for a final pass
    Rinsed, re-applied TBS SO and then reapplied SL
    3rd pass ATG: My final pass cleaned up very well, technically I could've gone without touch-ups
    Straight TBS SO for touch-ups

Post-Shave:
    Applied Alum via alum stick - Burns so goood!
    Applied EMJ post shave lotion - still the best ASL I've used thus far
    DONE!

Conclusion:
    On my 2nd shave, I thought the blade performed well. Beard reduction was significant with each pass and my 3rd pass produced a very close shave and technically I could have gone without touch-ups. Irritation was mild to none and non-existent after a few hours post shave. My 3rd and last shave went well, producing very similar results as my 2nd. The blade itself remained sharp and cut through whiskers with very little effort.

Final Thought:
    After having mixed feelings about my last couple of blades, I was really hoping that this blade would live up to it's praises and put out....that it did. The beard reduction was very good - cutting through whiskers with no tugging or skipping. I wold consider this blade as either equivalent or just under the Astra SP. Once my blade tour is complete, I pan to include Personna Blue blades as part of my blade rotation. Once again, I look forward to my next blade trial, this week I'm going to try the Voskhod blade.

4. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shave 12: Voskhod (Teflon Coated):
    Before receiving my blade sampler, I never heard of Voskhod blades and didn't see much discussion about them on TSD either. So for me, this blade was a random pick in my line-up. Due to our living situation, I acquired a 4 day growth and was eager to put this blade to the test.​
    Pre-Shave:
    Applied TBS Shave Oil to damp face; No rinse
    Applied TBS Maca Root (non-foaming) shave cream; no brush at all today
    ** When purchasing the product, I was told that the cream can be used with or with out a brush. I would have never tried it without a brush, except that a slew of recent and random chain of events left my fiance and I in a hotel for a week unexpectedly. Still...the shave must go on ;)
    Shave:
    1st pass WTG: From chin to ear along jaw line and then lips to chin and down the neck - sharp blade, no skips or tugging...BEAUTIFUL!
    Rinsed; I did not have to reapply ANY cream - I just rubbed my damp fingers all over my face and there was enough "residual" cream left that I was able to work up a thin, but slick lather.
    2nd pass XTG: Going in opposite directions - After my 2nd pass, most of my facial hair had been reduced so significantly, that my 3rd pass was merely to feel like a "complete" shave.
    Rinsed and rubbed up yet another thin- but, slick lather.
    3rd pass - Again, just a final "all-over" sweep over all shave-areas.
    Post-Shave:
    No Alum
    Applied EMJ post shave lotion - soothing...
    :happy036:
    Conclusion:
    This blade was so sharp AND smooth that it turned my usual 3 -pass shave, into a 2-pass shave...nick and weeper free! I thought that this blade glided easily and sliced through my 4 day growth with absolutely no problems. My practically 2-pass shave resulted in a very close and very smooth shave. ZERO irritation even before the aftershave lotion was applied. It's been at least 12 hours since my shave expereience and I have no noticeable signs of stuble. Now thats close!​
    Final Thought:
    I am extrememly happy with the performance of the Voskhod blade. This blade is topping my list, with the Astra coming in 2nd place - which is a surprise because up until this blade, I thought I'd be an Astra SP user till the end. Although Astra's can be found for less than $10/100pcs...Voskhod are a little more spendy at $15/100pcs.​

5. immobileman

immobileman Member

Enjoyed reading this! A personal journal for us to see. The last blades sound nice, as a newbie I like reading various reviews as we all have different skin and whiskers so blades work differently. Keep up the blog!

Kawika503 likes this.
  6. Robert Voss

Robert Voss Well-Known Member

Voskhod are my go to blades. I tried the sample pack as well and they performed best for me with my razors.

Kawika503 likes this.
  7. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Shave 13: Voskhod (Teflon Coated):
    2nd verse, same as the first!

Pre-Shave:
    Applied TBS Shave Oil to barely damp face
    Applied TBS MR shave cream; no brush, just fingers
    ** The non-use of brush for today's shave was to cut down on time spent shaving before work. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy lathering up, but for the interest of time, I went lather-less this morning.

Shave:
    1st pass WTG: From ears to chin along jaw line, then lips to chin and lastly down the neck - 2nd shave with this blade and it's still very sharp
    Rinsed; rubbed up a thin, but slick lather with my fingers (no additional cream needed).
    2nd pass XTG: Going in opposite directions - Once again, the blade performed well and reduce whiskers to practically nothing by the end of my 2nd pass
    Rinsed and rubbed up yet another thin- but, slick lather. (LOVE TBS MR SC)
    3rd pass - Again, just a final "all-over" sweep over all shave-areas.

Post-Shave:
    Warm water rinse
    Applied EMJ post shave lotion - I don't know how I've lived without it!

Conclusion:
    Before starting this mornings shave, I really hoped that my first shave was not just a dream. I'm elated to report, that my 2nd shave with this blade did NOT disappoint and once again, it left my face as smooth as an infant humans gluteal region! No joke. The blade offers a sharpness that to me, is perfect for my beard type and I would suspect, good for anyone elses beard type, but of course...YMMV. I did not experience any tugging on my whiskers during any of my passes. I also remained nick/weeper free with virtually no irritation after this shave. As for longevity of the blade, I'm only shaving with it for 3 or 4 shaves, so unless it fails by my 3rd shave, I have nothing to contribute. ​

Final Thought:
    I plan to order this blade in bulk once my Tour is over. In fact, at this point, I have decided to use this brand of blade on my wedding day (sorry Astra SP) in my EJ DE89 Barley (that of which I just ordered yesterday!!!!). ​

If you're reading this post, and you have not tried Voskhod blades or you've been on the fence on trying it, I suggest you buy a 5 pack through the TSD shop (it'll set you back $1.50+shipping) and thank me later!​

8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I liked the Voskhods too. They felt very similar to Personna Labs to me. Nice and smooth with decent sharpness.

9. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Maybe it's me or maybe it was just my shave, but I didn't get the giddy feeling after using the Personna Blue (which I believe is a similar blade to the Lab variety). I was disappointed, but I've stashed them away for a try later. I think that Voskhod and Astra SP are similar in sharpness and shave performance....but don't quote me on that.

10. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Shave 14: Voskhod (Teflon Coated):
    Da, da-da!! Final shave with the Voskhod...
    Pre-Shave:
    Applied TBS Shave Oil to barely damp face
    Built a concoction-lather of TBS MR SC, COB and VDH Gly soap...very, very cushy and slick!
    Applied lather with my Omega boar brush

Shave:
    1st pass WTG: From ears to chin along jaw line, then lips to chin and lastly down the neck - 3rd shave and STILL great beard reduction
    Rinsed and relatherd
    2nd pass XTG: Going in opposite directions - Significant beard reduction, but still needing a 3rd pass
    Rinsed and relatherd
    3rd pass - ATG: Successful with no irritation, nicks or weepers
    Touch-ups: Slight touch-ups where needed, used my fingers to add a thin layer of cream from my bowl before my clean-up passes; Zero irritation
    Post-Shave:
    Warm water rinse
    Applied EMJ post shave lotion
    Conclusion:
    On my last shave with the Voskhod I opted to bowl lather. As far as the blade is concerned, it was sharp and smooth, resulting in an irritation free and blood free shave. This 3rd shave was JUST as close as my first, noticing no change in blades cutting abilities. I don't know if the teflon coating is truly the reason why this blade performs so well, but based on my last 3 shaves, maybe all blades should be coated in teflon. Just my opinion.
    Final Thought:
    By far, my last 3 shaves using the Voskhod blade were the best shaves I've encounter since starting. Although excited to move onto the next blade in the tour, I'm a little sad that my trial of this blade has ended. It really did outperform the last few blades that I have tried. I look forward to trying this blade in my brand new Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley that I just received the other day.
    Thanks for the BBS shaves Voskhod, but I'm moving on...but I promise, I'll come back for you at the end. Next blade up...Wilkinson

11. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

[​IMG]
    Shave 15 & 16: Wilkinson Sword:
    Two reviews in 1...didn't have internet the first night I shaved with this new blade and didn't have time to blog about it the day after. Both shaving routines were identical and the results also identical. So here goes...

Pre-Shave:
    TBS MR Shaving cream​
    Fingers only; no brush, no lather​

Shave:
    1st pass WTG: From ears to chin along jaw line, then lips to chin and lastly down the neck - both shaves with the Wilkinson blade did fairly well, reducing a 3 day growth easily
    Rinsed and finger-latherd2nd pass XTG: Going in opposite directions - The blade cut through whiskers without skipping or tugging
    Rinsed and finger-latherd
    3rd pass - ATG: No nicks or irritation.
    Touch-ups required​

Post-Shave:
    Warm water rinse
    Applied EMJ post shave lotion
    Conclusion:
    This blade is sharp and performs well. However, I'm still detoxing from my previous Voskhod shaves a few days prior - my views are bias. Although the blade did have good beard reduction, I did not get the BBS shave I was hoping for.​

Final Thought:
    I've got 1 more shave with the Wilkinson and although it does the job it was made to do and well, I have come across a couple of stellar blades that I'd choose over this one. But, thats just me. Can't wait for the last shave so I can move on to my next blade.​

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I second the technique point and also second the congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

13. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

I completely agree with both you and feeltheburn, my technique gets better with every shave. Also, thanks for the well wishes!

14. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Shave 17 (Happy Labor Day): Wilkinson Sword:
    In honor of this weeks theme week, I attempted my last shave with the Wilkinson Sword blade in my Fat Boy. Everything else stayed the same. Here is a recount of my shave...

Pre-Shave:
    Warm water in bowl; soaked brush
    Hot shower (marinated beard in Coochy cream - google it :)
    Clearasil daily face wash
    Applied TBS SO upon shower exit
    TBS MR Shaving cream + VDH soap = SuperLather from the heavens!

Shave:
    1st pass WTG: From ears to chin along jaw line, then lips to chin and lastly down the neck - Wilkinson in my FB was very mild even at #7. Although mild, the pair was able to reduce my whiskers without a skip or tug! Impressed!
    Rinsed and re-lathered
    2nd pass XTG: Going in opposite directions - Kept the razor at #7, no problems. By the end of my 2nd pass, most of my beard was gone - but I still needed a 3rd pass
    Rinsed and finger-lathered
    3rd pass - ATG: No nicks or irritation. The FB is really mild and I needed to adapt my angle to get the right amount of blade contact.
    Touch-ups required

Post-Shave:
    Warm water rinse
    Applied EMJ post shave lotion - If you don't have this stuff, do your face a favor and get some!

Conclusion:
    I am very happy with my final shave with the Wilkinson blade. I felt that this blade was a good blade - giving me 3 good shaves. Supposedly, Wilks are "easy" to come buy, but I have not come across them in my area. Not even at my local Walmart.

Final Thought:
    However, out of the other blades I've tried from my sampler pack, this one is "middle of the road" compared to the amazing shaves I got with the Voskhod and Astra blades.
    I'm ready for the next blade in my sampler; this week will be...Dorco!

15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Enjoying reading your blade journey leading up to the big day. I haven't tried Vokshkod yet, although I have some coming from TSD. Astra SP and Personna med prep are my favorites so far, but as usual, this is YMMV. Again, congratulations on your soon to come big day.

Kawika503 likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Just a few thoughts...
    Your face will toughen up to the new routine, and wet shavers can shave daily without discomfort within 15-45 days (as I'm sure you are discovering).
    I hope your bride to be will let you use your new razor before your "big" day. Trying for a perfect shave with an unfamiliar razor sounds like a recipe for disaster. There have been rumours (and some reports) that Wal*Mart has stopped carrying the Wilkinson DE blades. And finally, I like Volkshod blades, and Astras, and Rapiras. All are made at the old Gillette factory in St. Petersburg, Russia. I honestly think that the Volkshod and Astras are the same blade, but one is coated with teflon while the other is platinum coated.

If you haven't tried witch hazel as an AS splash as an alternative to the alum block, I highly recommend it. It's found next to the rubbing alcohol at Wal*Mart, and is very, very low cost, at least for the generic brand. Thayer's and Dickenson's will run you a bit more.

Kawika503 likes this.
  17. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Thanks BamaT! I kind of have a blade-crush on the Voskhod and I'm very confident that once my tour is done, I'll be buying a bunch to use as my "go-to" blade. Astra's are a close second and my first love - first blade that I actually felt a difference with. I didn't have too much success the the Personna Blue, but I have heard lots of praises sung about them, so I plan to stash them and try them in my EJ a little bit down the road.

I agree, since shaving with a DE, my face has toughened up and I can stand to shave every other day or so. I can't shave everyday...could never before, so no loss there. Plus, I'll be honest, my facial hair doesn't grow that quickly to warrant a shave everyday...lucky, I suppose.

I thought about doing a trial shave with my EJ before the wedding day...but I decided to go all in and leave it to fate. I know, ballsy move - but I have faith...in myself and in Edwin Jagger :) !

I've read a lot about Rapiras and how great they are, I hope to do a blade trade with a Den friend once I serve my time and I am eligible to do so. I don't know if I'm qualified enough to agree with the possibility that the Voskhod and Astra may be the same blade - with different coatings, but I heart them both and I will be stocking both verietals after my blade tour is complete.

And finally...I've lessened my use of my alum stick and only use it when I encounter a rough shave. I was noticing that my skin would breakout after continuous use. After I stopped using it for a little while, my skin cleared up. As for witch hazel, I will try it...eventually. I'm not an AS kind of guy, but I am open to trying something new. I will report my findings when that day comes.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Shoot me a pm with your name and address. I'll send you some rapiras and feathers to try. Besides, you only live about a half hour away from me.

Edit: not rapiras, but Sputnik Teflon coated blades. My bad. I get the two mixed up.

Kawika503 likes this.
  19. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

[​IMG]

Shave 18: Dorco (Orange Wrapper):
    So in looking for a photo to post along with my findings, I have come to learn that there are 2 types of Dorco blades (which you probably already know): Blue wrapper which is a "standard" no-frills blade and the orange wrapper which is the same blade, but coated in Teflon. Both made in Korea...or so I am lead to believe by the word "Korea" on the wrapper :) My next 3 shaves will be with the orange-teflon coated Dorco blade, rather than the blue-standard blade.

Pre-Shave:
    Warm water in bowl; soaked brush - I think I finally broke this beast in *sigh*
    Hot shower (marinated beard in Coochy cream - google it :)
    Clearasil daily face wash
    Applied TBS SO upon shower exit
    Loaded my RazoRock 3pc razor with a Dorco blade
    COB Shaving cream + VDH soap = more like YummyLather!

Shave:
    1st pass WTG: From ears to chin along jaw line, then lips to chin and lastly down the neck - I could hear the blade cutting...but I didn't feel anything happening...
    Rinsed and re-lathered
    2nd pass XTG: Going in opposite directions - Seriously, is this thing cutting? I see beard reduction, but I still don't feel anything...
    Rinsed and re-lathered3rd pass - ATG: Huh, now I don't hear or feel anything...wha?
    Touch-ups

Post-Shave:
    Warm water rinse
    Applied EMJ post shave lotion - Love your face, buy some!

Conclusion:
    I was completely confused with my shave today. I could hear whiskers being cut...but I didn't really feel anything. With each pass, I could see significant beard reduction, but why wasn't I feeling anything? To be honest, I almost "banked" the blade and moved on, but I follewed through with my entire shave. In the end, whether I felt it or not, I ended up with a very close shave.

Final Thought:
    It wasn't until about 2 hours after my shave ended when I was sitting on the couch watching Masterchef and I was rubbing my face's "shave-areas" and noticed that the Dorco blade gave me a very close shave. Not BBS, but I partially take blame...and blame my honing of technique. But seriously, this blade left me smooth and zero irritation. A magic blade? Cuts beards without touching my face?? Probably not, but I look forward to my 2nd shave in a couple of days. I'm such a Droc-o :p

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I do like the ST-301 you have pictured above.
    I do not like the 300, the other Dorco you mention.

"I could hear whiskers being cut...but I didn't really feel anything. With each pass, I could see significant beard reduction, but why wasn't I feeling anything?" That, my friend, is when you know you've got a decent blade goin' for ya.

Kawika503 likes this.