Turds in my punch bowl

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by newb, Oct 31, 2010.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

This is a YMMV, and it's my impressions only. Of safety razors there are a few that have left me let down with a bad impression and lack luster shaves. IMHO here are my turds.

1) Gillette 1920's new. Not to be confused with the 1930's New ( which is one of the best razors of all times). When I want irritation, wheepers, and an overall rough shave I do not need to look far as I can get those results with this baby. It has the strange ability to get these results with any blade that is placed in to it After using a 1920's new I understand why the design was changed in the 30's.

2) Any TTO razor (excluding the fat boy and slim adjustable). I just can't seem to get a good shave with one. I know there are fans of the SS but it just doesn't work for me. YMMV

3) The biggest let down of all razors I have tried. Maybe my expectations were really high for it and it just can't live up to them. But I can not feel the Love for the IKON deluxe OC . I expected great shaves from the IKON, and it's a beautiful razor.But For me the weight of this razors just digs in and leaves me with irritation.

This is truly a YMMV thing. But in my opinion the shaving standard was set in 1912. So far there haven't been many razors that come close to that bar.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

As time goes on, I reach for a 3-piece over a TTO. I have not tried the 1912, but I can say that I like my Gem Featherweight and am now delving into the Rolls.

Like you said; YMMV. It is all about getting the most enjoyment from our shaves, whether it is 1912 or 2012, a great shave is a great shave.

3. I concur. Maybe its a difference in technique, but I've tried three different SS models and a Rocket and they don't come close to the shave I get with my Fat Boy.

4. aberneth

aberneth Member

You're right about the 30's NEW. It's a glorious tool. It was the only DE besides the Futur that ever did me any good. That long swooping comb design was like silk on the face.

Just to clarify, the "1920's new" is more accurately the "new improved".

5. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

With the exception of the Gillette Slim, I too have not had good luck with TTOs. Given the number of people who love them, I figure they require a different technique that I just have not mastered.

eric.

6. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

well, at least it's better than punches in the turd bowl...

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

As a fan of the super speed I will say that it's not surprising that they don't perform as well as a more aggressive razor, they're made to be mild. I get closer shaves with my slim but if I over do it, it's nice to have the ss there for a few days to give my neck a break. Blade selection will play a large part in the equation as well.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yuppers the 1912 Rules. VIVA LA REVOLUTION.

9. wildbill51

wildbill51 Member

Nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read this :happy023

10. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Can't agree more about the 30's NEW. Best DE razor I have in my rotation. But also can't disagree more about the 30's NEW Improved. Also a great razor for me.

When it comes to a TTO I have several that I one that I have in my regular rotation, a birth year '48 SuperSpeed. I use it simply because it is as old as I am.

Found that the TTO types just do not work as well as my 3 piece razors do. They shave okay but I prefer my 3 piece DEs much better.

I am only speaking here of my DE rotation. What really works well for me are the SE razors. They are tops. Especially the vintage lather catchers that I use. And I can't forget the standard by which all SE razors are judged. The GEM or ER from 1912.

Lest I forget, there is just one razor that I have owned that was really a turd for me. The GEM Micromatic, aka The Junkomatic. Just a terrible razor for me. I wouldn't wish that razor on my worst enemy.

I could lose all my DE razors (except the 30' NEW) and still have my SE razors and my life would not skip a beat.

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Obviously, you are not alone in your lack of enthusiasm for the TTO razors.

If its gonna be DE, then it needs to be three piece or it just isn't what I will reach for. (says the person who used an SE today...)