Tuxedo Collective

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by RyX, Oct 7, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Very nice offer, Sir. Hope your face heals up soon.

Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  2. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

So with about a week's worth of beard and a painfully swollen cheek and jaw, I couldn't stand it anymore and had to shave! I whipped up C. O. Bigelow (Proraso Green) with the Tuxedo - very luxurious. The Tuxedo was very soft on my tender tissue - very nice. Third shave on an old Personna 74* tungsten blade, and moved it to a 1934ish Raised Flat Bottom with a UFO Colibri handle - an easy combo to use for me.

The Tuxedo did the trick with no pressure - I am delighted!

mrchick and RyX like this.
  3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I still have one of the aluminum ones left, but the bronze one is my daily driver.
    IMG_1465.JPG

4. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Looking forward to another member of our gathering. Hoping he (or she?) comes forward. Can't imagine having a Tuxedo without being seen in public!
    blue and orange tuxedo.jpg

twhite and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Yup, I just replied back to TADlll , Im a hobby wood turner, this knot will be going into its very own brand new handle. Thanks again Tad....

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good guy @TADIII for making another Tuxedo available. I'm looking forward to seeing your turned handle @Mike Powell !

8. Surlyduck

Surlyduck Member

I really don't know what to think about this knot. I've used it a few times now and I feel like it's too soft...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

9. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

Yes, it is soft! If it is too soft,
    What is your prep?
    Where do you build lather (bowl or face)?
    What consistency is your finished lather? Learning how much water to add is important.
    What is your soap?
    How hard is your water?
    How deep is your knot set? (This one is REALLY important.)
    Please don't give up!

Tom

10. PickledNorthern

I hear what you are saying. Synthetics in general are too soft for me to use every day. I have a really coarse beard, and love scrub, sometimes even a little scratch. (why I keep a couple of pure badgers around;) I do like to mix a few into the rotation just for the variety, and I always have one with me when I am on the road. The performance of the synthetics in terms of building lather and drying quickly, sure impresses me. The Tuxedo does an excellent job of splaying comfortably. It might be my best synthetic in that category.

RyX, twhite and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Surlyduck

Surlyduck Member

So I've had the opportunity of setting my own knot so I tried few different heights 48, 50, and I think the highest it goes to its 54 which I kept it at. The two lower settings it wouldn't splay at all now with 54mm it has plenty of backbone but what I'm talking about it being soft its the white tips. I've tried fine synthetic and shave revolution synthetic, I also have a finest badger 26mm with gel tips (after a long time breaking them in). I can get the tips of the badger to be as soft as the tuxedo while using painting strokes but when I face lather it feels like there is a brush there, there is some scritch to it as well as my other synthetics, this one almost feels like I'm lathering with lather all by it self (hopefully that's clear enough). These are definitely the softest tips ever I guess I'm just used to some scritch. I'm definitely not giving up on it for at least couple of weeks.

What I do like about it, is that because it's so dense it does hold more water which is great.

And my water is not to hard. I use random soaps from different artisans. I face lather only, and for prep I use some hot water on my face right before lathering, no pre anything.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

YES! I believe Tom @twhite & I both made this same observation. The tips are so soft you don't feel the brush, only the lather. I started with a couple boar brushes. A VDH, and two Omegas. They all needed to be broken in, so my first experience was with scrubby scritchy new brushes. Since then they have softened, but no where near as soft as a Tux knot. I have a Vulfix Super Badger that is softer than any boars I've used, but it's floppy compared to the synthetic bristles.
    Maybe try a cream with this brush, see how it suits you?

13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I agree, the Tuxedo knot feels like it is not there. It works wonderful with creams. I am a face latherer. This knot starts building lather almost instantly.

When using soaps I still prefer my boars mind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. PickledNorthern

Do any of you have a meal that you are never too excited to eat before hand, but while you are eating it, and afterwards, you tell yourself how good it is, and wonder why you don't eat it more often? With the exception of two of them, that's how I feel about synthetic brushes. With my two favorites, I wish they would come up in the cycle more often. One of them is my Tuxedo, the other is my Simpson Chubby.

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Might be time to reduce your rotation?
    Here's you Sign.
    Heres-your-shovel-Keep-digging-.jpg

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

17. PickledNorthern

No sir. Now put your hands above your head and slowly move away from the brush collection.

RyX, twhite and Douglas Carey like this.
  18. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

I heard from Mike Powell about the Tuxedo Knot PIF; he is still working on finals but took the time to write:
    "The hard part is deciding what to put it in to give it justice. I'm not sure if I want to do it in Flamed Box Elder\Acrylic or a black and white acrylic handle. I have about another week of classes then I will be working on it heavy."
    No matter what he chooses, I am looking forward to seeing it!

Tom

RyX, Mike Powell and Douglas Carey like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

My son has taken a liking to my Tuxedo. I believe I need to make him his own. As I am totally unwilling to give up a JR brush. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile, Demidog, RyX and 2 others like this.
  20. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Has anyone here preordered the cashmere knot or the faux horse knot? I still think the Whipped Dog synthetic is the knot of my dreams but I will probably try a Tuxedo some day based on the great things I've read here. I go completely against the norm when it comes to brushes in that I prefer no backbone and zero scratchiness. If it's true that you can't even feel the brush on your face when lathering, then that's perfect for me. Now with even more knots to choose from, I feel like there are too many choices and so little time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MoAllen, RyX and Douglas Carey like this.