Twinplex Score

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael J. Spangler, Oct 15, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well? Did I do ok for $5
    Who uses them? Can they be repaired and strops replaced?

Thanks guys!

alpla444 likes this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

They are nice pieces for the collection but they are useless on modern blades. Blades from the days when stroppers were made, were much thicker and softer metal and took on the sharpening and honing from these gadgets. But again, modern blades are too thin and cheap enough to toss.

alpla444 and GDCarrington like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Nice find! Gorgo / Don uses a Twinplex to make older carbon blades shave-able again. I have 600 or so PAL Goldedge blades and I sent him a few. He put them through the Twinplex and said they shaved as good as any other blades of that era that he ran through the stropper or most any modern blade too.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Agreed on the carbon blades and not thin blades.

5. has anyone tried to use a diamond lapping compound with these strops?

i know these will definitely sharpen the most abrasive resistant steels out there with no trouble. that should take care of the new blades.
    unless its an issue of geometry due to the thinner blades not lining up right.
    how thick are the old vintage blades compared to the new blades?

i'm going to mess with this to see if it can make a blade that i normally don't like into a good blade, or a beat up good blade feel brand new.
    i have some 1/2 micron paste i'll try out this week.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

True, true, but my Twinplex's rollers are in primo shape, as I suspect this one's should be.

Michael, I'm very curious to know if the paste helps it out. The Twinplex is tricky to get apart and back together again (the gears are fiddly to get realigned) but it can be done. It'd make applying the paste much easier, that's for sure. And $5 is well worth a working model, too!

Also - I've seen where some of these models come with a built-in hone or sharpener inside, in addition to the strop rollers; at least that's what the description said. Anyone know how that would have worked? A chunk of glass inside the lid???

7. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

You did better than I did.
    BTW I REALLY like that knife in your avatar. More info on that knife, please.
    Did you make it? How much would one cost me?
    I collect knives. Razors are a branch of my cutlery collection. That's what I tell my wife, anyway.

Can the old Gillette blue blades be stropped with a Twinplex?

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Can the old Gillette blue blades be stropped with a Twinplex?

Yup. If it's carbon it can (and probably should) be stropped.

GDCarrington likes this.