Two dirty Single Ring Gillettes in the mail

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yesterday I received both of the single ring Gillettes I picked up on the bay.
    They are certainly in need of a good cleanup and next week I'll be attempting just that using the cleaning guide provided by @GDCarrington.

Functionally, they seem to be in very good condition so I'm hoping that they may clean up pretty well.

Came with box, some old blades, blade holder, etc:
    [​IMG]

They are sure looking rather 'stealthy'...really dark/black...this might take some work....:
    [​IMG]

I took at look at the date codes/markings and was able to find the following:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Razor 1:
    "PATNOV1504" on the handle.
    No Gillette diamond or anything on the head.
    On the inside barrel: "A259910"

Date code indicates: Year 1908
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Razor 2:
    D916390 on the bottom head part
    Underside of the head: The Gillette Diamond logo and "Made in USA"

Date code indicates: Year 1917

From reading online I've gathered, correctly or not, that the Gillette logo will not be present on products manufactured before 1908.
    Razor #1 may, in that case, been produced right before the logos were introduced on the razors later in that year (some sites says the practice was introduced in December of 1908).

So it seems razor #1 is a "very early" single ring which is kinda neat.

If anyone have any additional information about these razors, or can correct me on any of the above please do let me know.

Next steps:
    Cleaning them up.

2. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the pics - I am a bit of a history nerd - who knew shaving could feed the need for all things history? Look forward to the after pics.

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Great! Can't wait to see them shined up.

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think sometimes we don't truly reflect on the rather incredible fact that we can - and many of us do - use an every-day tool made over 100 years ago and it works just as well as it did then.
    It's really rather remarkable. :)

Jostalli, Bristle Me and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, I really don't want to mess them up so I'll try to do the best I can :)

6. Allen Whitney

Allen Whitney New Member

Probably a newbie question, but what is a "single ring" razor? I would imagine then there is a "double ring" razor as well, right? Please humor me with an answer. Thanks.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I believe the single/double ring razors refers to the very first safety razors that Gillette made.

Appearance wise they look like this:

Stock photo from online:
    [​IMG]

The term 'single' and 'double' ring refers to the rings on the handle, right under the head.
    (Left: Single Ring, Right: Double Ring).

The double-ring razor is the more rare of the two and were only made between 1903 and 1906 while the single ring version was made between 1906 and 1921.

Early razors and date codes can be found here.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    Allen Whitney likes this.
  8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

your going to be amazed at the difference if you follow the electrolysis process.
    they are very nice razors.
    keep us posted

Omaney, GDCarrington and Darkbulb like this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Next steps:
    Cleaning them up. YES!

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Ditto...

Those Single Rings look to be in outstanding shape.

11. Allen Whitney

Allen Whitney New Member

12. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

What is this electrolysis process of which you speak? Is there a link available for one to study?

13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Gary
    could you post a link to
    the process, please sir?

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

GDCarrington and Radiotube like this.
  15. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Dark provided the correctly link. Thanks!

The idea is to restore as much of the silver back to the razor as possible. Many people find that if they do this first, they do not rub and rub with a harsher polish until they expose brass.

The white coating that you see in the photos is only heavily revealed with a strong light such as a flash is used. That is the Hagerty polish protective coating, that does thin down with use, but enough stays to reduce the levels of oxidation so the silver does not have to be polished as much. Unlike Flitz or MAAS the Hagerty polish IS designed for use with Gold and Silver and even electroplated items.

Darkbulb likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

If they could talk, the stories they could share.

GDCarrington, Darkbulb and Jostalli like this.
  18. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

You will be very pleased how well these old razors clean up.
    I have a few single rings that came to me like yours and they now shine like they were made yesterday :happy088:
    be sure to post a photo when you've cleaned them.

Darkbulb likes this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member