Unboxing: The Wolfman!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 1, 2015.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: Nice score. The handle looks great. The combo head I can see the use for. Thanks for showing us now I have another NEW temptation to fight! :happy097:

clint64 and Darkbulb like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Handsome razor! I hope you enjoy it. But, can you only use a Wolfman razor when the moon is full?

ShaneS, PLANofMAN, Darkbulb and 2 others like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Not sure but it would help preparing for a date night if you have lycan-related hair to get rid off ;)

178-bplatoon and Sara-s like this.
  4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

It's a stunner!
    oooh.gif

Sara-s likes this.
  5. bigjustin

bigjustin Member

On their website looks like they are only selling handles.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Hmm..no there are product categories to choose from;
    - Accessories,
    - Handles,
    - Razor heads, and
    - Surplus

What James hasn't added though is photos on the site of all possible handle he can offer so if anyone is interested in ordering a razor/handle from him I'd recommend checking with him to see what's available.

7. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Please post how u like the handle when shaving. I got an email from James last Friday saying it won't b long on mine and am still undecided on the handle after seeing the new handles he's turning out!

8. bigjustin

bigjustin Member

Thanks I will check again from my laptop my phone sux....

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Congrats on getting close to production.
    Have you decided on if you'll keep the aggression level of the head 'stock' or have it tuned up or down.
    (I'll be the first to say that it's near impossible to tell for yourself if you need to have it tuned up or down if you haven't tried the stock heads. I just know I like aggressive razors and with James equating the stock to a 5-or-so on a Slim I decided to bump mine up to a '7').

I should have a shave report posted here on Thursday :)

10. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

We have talked about taking the aggression up. I'd like to get close to an r plate from above the tie or so. If it helps my 3 passes on a slim or a fatboy r 9-9-9. I have a very light shaving hand so I can handle a tad aggressive. I don't want anything crazy like the h plate tho. Just not sure how to tell him how aggressive I want it as there r many factors that make up razor aggression.

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

For some comparison - or just eye candy - here's the Wolfman in the pack of the other all stainless steel razors I have;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Nice collection you have there and the Wolfman looks outstanding.

13. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I think I may need to get one of these...you know, to support a fellow Albertan.

I digress. That is beautiful! Use it in good health!

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That's right! Support Canada eh? :)

15. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece of work. Enjoy, and keep us informed once you use it.

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

It looks nice. I don't know how you're waiting to use it. You have a nice collection of SS razors.

clint64 and Darkbulb like this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Wow, that is a purty little thing I think that might be the nicest handle ever. I can't wait to here how it shaves.

Darkbulb likes this.
  18. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

Very nice looking razor. Nice having the two different sides.

Greg W.

Darkbulb likes this.
  19. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Well it's Thursday!! Let's hear it!

Darkbulb and PLANofMAN like this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Shave report

Finally Thursday morning arrived and it was time to see if the Wolfman shaved as well as it looked....

I lathered up some Fitjar Isros and plopped a Voskhod blade into the wolf (once again I was struck by how precise the machining is...extremely smooth to assemble the three razor pieces.

Since my razor-head is a dual/combo one I decided to, for my WTG pass, to shave one side of the face with the OC side and the other using the SB side.

Immediate reaction: Wow!

This razor is smooth - it is aggressive (note that mine was custom to be a tad more aggressive) but not like a Barbasol FH where you feel that you need to pay a bit of attention to what you're doing if you don't want to cut yourself - this was just smooth.
    Finished half of my face and I was basically clean-shaven. I think only the Tradere OC have felt this amazing on first use.

Switched to the SB side and went to work on the other side of my face.
    Very similar feel to the OC side. Same smoothness but I thought it felt a little bit less aggressive. It was actually so close in feel that I decided that for my ATG pass I would mix it up a bit.

I spun the razor around in my hand and didn't look directly at it as I started to shave - just to see if I could guess what side I was using w/in a few strokes. I was able to guess it correctly four out of six times. That tells me in a very non-empirical study kind of way that there is a a slight difference but not by much.

I did find though that when I do then XTG under my nose I favored the SB side.

Two passes and I was smooth shaven. No clean up passes needed.

This morning's shave was absolutely stellar and I am thrilled about the performance.
    Now of course all of this is based on one shave so take it for what it's worth.

If I were to nit-pick about anything it was that I found that the way I hold the handle my thumb/fingers are actually just below the knurled ring on the handle (as I like to have the base of the handle resting against my little-finger). Having said that the handle never once felt slippery and it could very well be a thing I need to adjust to.

It's been four hours since my shave and my face is smooth.

Final thoughts: If you like the look and idea of the razor and can justify the, approx, USD 160 for it I would say that this is a strong Buy.

[​IMG]