Use vintage Avon aftershave and cologne? Me? (Yes, you!)

Discussion in 'Articles' started by gorgo2, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Great article and very nicly put...I also enjoyed every turn of phrase...So much so, I'm sure I'll be keepin' an eye out for Avon now...I want to try the Brisk Spice and '60's Bay Rum...

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I would be making the trip again. :)
    Jody, My Super Shaver contains "Sure Winner Bracing Lotion" I kind of like the scent. Kind of reminds me of Mandom.

3. Joe

Joe Member

I posted earlier about the Avon bug spray, and it being the only product I would get, but didn't want anyone to take me wrong, I don't think anything bad of Avon at all and know people that use it, I personally just haven't tried anything else from them. But I have been promoting their bug spray to everybody I know for years so figured it was worth a mention here.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Joe, my grandmother was an Avon agent for many years and that product was one of her most popular sellers because of the various East Texas insect issues. I knew exactly what you were saying when you brought it up!

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Joe, we always used the Avon bug spray as kids. Good stuff.

I had to check back in and add that there are still deals on the stuff on ebay. I just won 6 bottles of 5 different scents, all new in box, (although one has some broken plastic) for $12.99 shipped. That's about $2.17 a bottle. :happy088: Honestly had no expectations of winning this one, but I want to try Deep Woods, so I threw in a small bid. I am also happy I will now have a second bottle of Island Lime. I love that stuff.

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Well that's interesting that they used different scents in the same bottle. Something else I need to look for now.

7. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

I found a bottle of that Captains Pride the other day at an old antique mall...that stuff smells great!!! And As soon as I got home I put it in an old blue medicine bottle.....I have come to use those a lot......they look great and IMO......they add a bit of vintage class to my shave collection. I like it....never have been a rich fellow by any means but man when I look at my collection....I feel like one of the richest men in the world simply because I enjoy it so much.

Straight razor dandy and rodd like this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I wanted to resurrect this article because I think it is great. @gorgo2 has made a fun but poignant post.

I have been seeking out some cheap avon bottles lately...and boy, are they everywhere. I have yet to find 10 cent bottles, but $1 or $2 bottles are out there aplenty.

The bottles really add some style to the shave den too (im still on the lookout for a cheap swordfish).

The only issue is being careful not to get "too many" bottles because i dont have the space!

battle.munky and gorgo2 like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There is a Rolls-Royce full of very good Oland near me. It's slightly overpriced but I've been thinking about getting it for a while. Now that I know it's a dead match for Burley I think I will.

10. Straight razor dandy

There are a few of those on the 'bay right now for cheap. Im thinking about grabbing one.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

For some reason, I've noticed lately that more and more people are selling empties as if they have value (they almost never do). A few admitted they pour out the juice before slapping on a price tag. I told them, politely, that 75% of the people who buy these are going to be guys looking to wear the a/s. They didn't seem to care.

Then again, that has been since I've been here in N.C. In Ohio they were almost always full.

12. Straight razor dandy

Since you seem to be quite the expert, im curious...what are the best avon bottles in your opinion?

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Believe me I'm no expert; that's Vez22 who hangs out more "over there" these days. And I'm not sure there is a "best" bottle. I appreciate many of the bottles but I don't need more clutter. So the only ones I have held onto are Captain's Pride (ship in the bottle, Windjammer), two of the old Leather boots (spray cologne), the Imperator soldier's helmet, the Excalibur sword/stone bottle, and the Deep Woods tree stump. And I have those mainly because I like the juice.

My dad used to have the jumping trout and swordfish standing in the bathroom window.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  14. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Great article. I am a fan of several Avon scents. I love the spicy and island lime. Wild Country is one that you can't go wrong with either. I was not a fan of windjammer, but that is just me. I like the fact that no matter what you are in to you can probably find an Avon bottle to grab. I collect things related to bald eagles so I have one of the eagle bottles. I am always amazed at how many are out there being sold empty. I have a hard time finding full bottles in the wild unfortunately. Seen some, but not many. I think the Island Lime and the leather are the hardest to fine for me. I have found one lime but have not seen a leather in the wild. Several empty bottles that once had leather, but nothing full. Maybe it is one of those that people just had to use so little survived.

Thanks again for the summary of the scents and the humor in the post!

15. Straight razor dandy

I just got a full bottle of the leather in the pheasant decanter for $1 about a week ago. I had no idea it was such a find.

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Broke my last bottle of Island Lime several months back and never replaced it. One of the best a/s ever.

RyX and battle.munky like this.
  17. Straight razor dandy

How does it compare to others out there as fas as lasting scent, quality of facial repair, etc. ? Is there a good comparison with sonething else...like stirling soaps margaritas in the artic or lucky tiger perhaps?

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you want some Leather, I can spare one of the boots.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZZQAAOSwEK9T1Gh4/s-l300.jpg[​IMG]

battle.munky likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Everything ever knew about it, I wrote in the first review here.

20. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

gorgo2 likes this.