Used a Rolls. "Wow" is an understatement.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Mar 28, 2011.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Found a near-mint boxed '40s era Rolls Razor Viscount yesterday, at an unbeatable price. It was all there (the hones have been broken in every other set I've ever seen) and the blade itself looked nearly new. So I bought it, read the directions, ran it over hone and strop, then headed off to the sink.

I knew I'd never used a sharper blade than this so I went very slowly.

Gentlemen, I kid you not: it wiped everything above the skin line baby smooth IN ONE PASS. I did notice the edge starting to wear a bit toward the end but I guess that's the trade off (or the advantage, depending on how you view it).

As good as they are, no disposable blade -- single edge, double edge or adjustable injector on max -- has ever performed like this for me.

So now what...does this put me on the dark path to straights? Cuz I really can't afford that RAD.

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

You snagged a good Rolls! Like you have seen, they often have issues such as cracked or missing hones, missing handles, bad blades, etc...

However, now that you have a good set, maybe keep an eye out for dirt cheap incomplete sets that you can use for replacement parts.

It may lead down the path towards straights, but not necessarily.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yes, a Rolls shave is a very fine shave indeed.

The only reason why I do not use mine more is because the clean-up is so involved and because it is so involved, I have never used it more than one day in a row in order to get faster at the clean-up.

My loss I am sure.

I use straights, but they are a bit more forward in the clean-up. With the Rolls, you have blade / handle disassembly, knock the water out of the hole, cotton swab the hole, wipe blade, install and strop then fiddle with getting he handle to go into the channel in the case.

I do like the shave though!

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep, I'm already on the lookout for a backup blade or two. Amazing engineering, such a well thought out, self-contained kit...one wonders if the British could pull something off like it again.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You are right there...I've been avoiding thinking about the cleanup. However, as close as it shaved me today I'm thinking that using the Rolls would have me shaving every other day (doubt I could go three). In that case, maintenance gets a bit easier. But then again, I shave in the evenings so I tend to have more time for such things. If I was shaving before going to work I'd probably just drop the blade into my little jar of 99% alcohol and take care of the rest that night.

6. newb

newb Resident Newb

With my rolls I just blast the hole on the blade and through the handle for a few seconds with a blow dryer(no heat).:ashamed001 Then strop it for 1/2 minute or so and put it away. I'm not sure if that's proper or even good for it? But it's pretty quick and way less tedious.

7. Moe

Moe Active Member

I have also just acquired a near mint Rolls and am looking forward to the first shave with it,,, but am actually hesitant to use the hone and strop because I want to keep it in mint condition. Does anyone know if there are threads for using a barber hone and other strops (I have both) for the Rolls blade? I can get off my lazy but and search, but thought I'd throw this request out there.

Thanks,

Moe

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I watched a YT vid today of a young guy with a goatee who, I think, said he tends to use the hones he uses for his straights. He seems the type who'd be happy to post a vid of him demonstrating how.

9. Moe

Moe Active Member

Thanks, i'll check ou the tube!