Using 2 razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DBart., Jan 26, 2017.

1. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I posted something similar at the tail end of my brief Nuavia Blue by Pannacrema review, but I thought it might warrant a separate thread. I like to use 2 razors when shaving. I find that some are better than others for 1st, 2nd and 3rd passes. I am new to this and using 2-3 razors for 1 shave may be frowned upon, but I think this is all pretty subjective anyway. I have an Edwin Jagger D89, an Ikon x3, a Vikings Blade Chieftain and Godfather, Pearl open comb and waiting for my new Phoenix Artisan double open comb. I find that the entire process is relaxing. Thanks for reading my ramblings. DAB

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Frowned upon? Not here.
    As I have said many times - It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

3. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Thank you. I din't mean frowned upon as in getting bashed. Poor choice of words. This is a great forum with pretty cool members.
    DAB

Carbide Mike and SharptoothC like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

For new shavers I'm an advocate of learning, but having a well known razor for cleaning up. While reacquainting myself with shavettes, I use a DE to finish. Some folks prefer carts, but there's no shame using one full time, or as training wheels when starting out.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You can use a different razor for each stroke, if that gives you your best shave. Me, I stick with one razor per shave. I have been known to swap out a blade mid-shave. :)

6. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I use 2 razors sometimes, not always. Sometimes Especially for trouble spots. Those areas that always seem to have something left that I didn't quite get. After shaving, when there seems to be stubble on those trouble spots, I use a SE blade razor to clean up the trouble spots. Not always just when I am annoyed with those trouble spots. Many passes trying to get there just causes burn for me. So, You are not alone!

7. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I seldom use an SE, but when I do, my favorite technique is to do two passes with the SE and a single pass with a DE. For me, this gives a magnificent shave.

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I frequently use two razors , either one each for beard and head shave, or one for primary duty and one for clean up. Makes perfect sense to me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

SharptoothC likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1

Carbide Mike, SharptoothC and DBart. like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Whatever floats your boat my friend. One razor at a time for me. But it's your shave, load 'em up and get after it!:D

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I double up razors quite often. No shame.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and DBart. like this.
  12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I personally don't double up on razors. But I did do that when I was learning how to use a straight razor. I would shave the easy parts of my face with the straight, and then use a DE for the more difficult parts. But as I got better, I only needed the straight. If you like using two razors, go for it!

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Every once in a while, I'll go wild to mild and do a three pass shave with a red tip, super speed, and blue tip.

It's pretty much the only time I use multiple razors.

14. nvpliers

nvpliers Member

I often use more than one razor.

Carbide Mike and DBart. like this.
  15. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Whatever you need to do, for me 1 razor, but have a slim adjustable that I will on occasion change settings between passes so I guess it's really no different.

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm learning straights right now, and I use a safety razor to finish off.

Carbide Mike, DBart. and RyX like this.
  17. nvpliers

nvpliers Member

You oughta see me with the Rockwell 6S. I use three plates, gents. How's that for extremes!?

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

If an adjustable were an automatic transmission, you are shifting gears like a manual. Cool!

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Carbide Mike and nvpliers like this.
  19. nvpliers

nvpliers Member

LOL. True!

20. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

For years I used my Dad's red tip for WTG and my Mom's Super Speed for ATG. Then felt I should set them aside and went with a SA.

Greg W.

Carbide Mike likes this.