Using an adjustable DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sara-s, May 9, 2012.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I got my first adjustable this week, as I have been curious to try them. But since this is new for me, I would appreciate any tips on using them. Thanks.

2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

What one did you get? Can't be a Fatboy, cause you are a lady... Must be a Slim!

Start low on the numbers, and be patient working up until you find your perfect setting - kinda like those sleep number beds they advertise endlessly on radio and TV.

macaronus likes this.
  3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Personally, I just set it at the beginning of the shave and continue like a fixed head razor. Just be sure to loosen the razor before adjusting; I'm sure you knew that, it's just a reminder so you don't forget to do it in the excitement of a new razor.

macaronus likes this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes, it is a Slim. BTW, I have a Sleep Number bed & I really like it.

wlmcad likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Day 1 - Start at 3. Use this for your entire shave. Evaluate
    Day 2 - Click it up to 4. Use this for your entire shave. Evaluate.
    Day 3 - Click it up to 5. Use this for...

Continue the above until you find that "one-click-too-much" setting. Back it down, lock and leave it. I'm locked at 6, but that's me.
    Now to be fair, some adjust during their shave. They may start mild for the first pass, then kick up a bit for each following pass.
    Some start wide open, then back down a bit for each pass.

Your call. It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

macaronus likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Set it low and work your way up the numbers. I don't know what razors you've used before, but the standard super speed is about a "3" on the adj. red tips are about "5" and lady gillettes and blue tips are in the "1-2" range.

If you switch brands of blades - start low and work your way up the numbers again. I found this out when I switched from wilkinson swords to feather blades. I went from "5" back down to "3" in a hurry.

Edit: As a side note, my mother cut herself badly using my Grandfather's adjustable when it loosened in the middle of her shave. Always make sure you give the TTO mechanism the extra quarter turn to lock it down. As the event happened in 1958, she can't remember exactly what caused her to cut herself, so I've come to the conclusion that she most likely forgot to tighten the razor properly.

macaronus, GDCarrington and wlmcad like this.
  7. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

+1
    I have a slim adjustable also. I am still in the process of figuring out which razor setting & blade brand works best for me. I agree completely with Ryan, start low and move up a number each day, then start all over when you try a new brand of blade... :happy088:

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yeah as Steve said, start on a low number and work up. And do NOT adjust the setting with the doors fully closed. And I'm sure you will enjoy it.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I think everyone knows how I feel about the Gillette Slim and those who have chimed in have given great advice. My advice would be to enjoy it! :happy088:

swarden43 likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks guys! I will get a chance to try it on Saturday, when I have time to do my legs. (I'm tall; they take a while. :) ) I will let you know more, then.

macaronus likes this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Well, I just used the Slim for the first time, set on 3. So far, not a disaster, but underwhelming. I used a Gillette 7:00 Blue blade, because it is what I used last, with my Parker. No cuts or nicks, but some irritation and it could have been a closer shave. That is pretty much the same result I get with that brand & the Parker.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Be thankful there was no disaster and shrug off the "underwhelming." Remember, it's adjustable! Keep with it and you'll find that sweet setting.

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks. Since it wasn't a disaster, I plan to keep experimenting.

swarden43 and Zilla like this.
  14. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

6 is my magic number, too. It works well for me to do a 3 pass shave of this bronze wire stubble I have on my face. I have the Slim and Super adjustables and like them both.
    Both of them are razors I could live with as my only razor, if I had to.

15. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

I used 3 different setting each shave.
    1st pass on 7
    2nd pass on 5
    3rd pass on 3
    remember to open the knob when you adjust the setting

16. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I would suggest try the #4 setting for the first pass, then dial it done to #3 for pass two.

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Brad, that sounds good. I will probably try that on Wed.

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Well, it's Wednesday & I tried the adjustable on 4. I got a good smooth shave in one pass. (Doing multiple passes on long legs gets problematic as it is fatiguing and time-consuming.) The only thing I have realized is that this handle is a bit short for me. So I am probably going to re-sell it & get a super-slim adjustable, which has a 4" handle. I am liking the adjustability, because I got that result with a blade I don't even like that much.

19. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good news! Yesterday, I put the slim up on eBay & it has already sold, so I got back what I paid for it. Plus, I was able to buy a Super Adjustable.