Using an ultrasonic cleaner

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rmcintyre84, Mar 20, 2018.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

A friend is lending me an ultrasonic cleaner to clean up a razors. You who have done this before: What solution do you recommend? For how long should I clean them? Thanks.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I had better luck cleaning my Fatboy razors with very hot water and soap. I used an ultrasonic cleaner for a while. I used special ultrasonic solutions. I found Palmolive and water in the ultrasonic cleaner worked best. But, like I said hot water soak with Palmolive still worked best.

3. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I've soaked them in water and baking soda, and scrubbed them with hot water and Dawn. They're still not as clean as I'd like, especially in the "nooks and crannies."

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I've tried ultra sonic cleaners and they never worked that well for me. I prefer a hot water and Dawn soak for about 15-20 minutes and then pulling them out and scrubbing them with a denture cleaning brush.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Almost boiling water, with a good amount of Dawn/Palmolive. Soak for 2-3 hrs. Reheat in microwave, and repeat. Repeat until clean. Scrub with toothbrush between soaks. Usually 1-2 soaks does it.

6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I know some folks swear by them but after buying one I was disappointed. I tried water, water and Dawn dish soap, vinegar, etc.

My preferred method is all night soaks in Dawn, Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush, and metal polish.

7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/review-of-harbor-freight-ultrasonic-cleaner.55570/

Dawn 3x concentrate dish soap works well, and hot water works better than cold. Ammonia won't hurt the UC, but you have to be careful about whatever you put into it. Same with vinegar. Bleach shouldn't be used in a stainless steel one, but can be used in a small plastic one. Bleach shouldn't be used around metals much anyway - a dip and sterilize, perhaps, but it leaves black crap on chrome and brass, which then has to be cleaned/polished off. (same with the stainless steel)

Keep in mind that ultrasonic cleaners are a tool, not a panacea. (the review goes over all of this in detail)