Using Noxzema Facial Cream To Shave...

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by skyfox12, Jun 14, 2010.

1. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Has anyone around here ever tried to shave with the actual Noxzema Facial Cream? Not any of the Noxema brand shaving creams in a can or tube, but the big dark blue tub? I've tried it but without a brush and got very good results even though you have to shake your razor in the water to get rid of gunky buildup. I just bought three tubs of equate brand facial cream, original formula, and it says on the tub "compare to ingredients of Noxzema" and yeah they're pretty close. Maybe a brush (VDH Boar) will help spread it out and distribute it more evenly than just plopping it on your face with your hands which I've done in the past. Like the mentholated sensation during and after the shave. Plus its supposed to do this and that for your face, maybe it will help me with my irritation around my face where I have to use a cpap mask while sleeping. Might be better than using hydrocortisone all the time but that's in another post I did. Curious to hear if anyone has ever tried it.:)

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Hmmm..... I seem to recall someone saying their father did it if I remember correctly.

I also seem to recall reading about someone putting down a real thin base of Noxzema, the applying lather over the top of that to shave with.

EnglishChannel and crackstar like this.
  3. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

4. gman41

gman41 Member

I know a guy

I know a guy I work with who does this. Despite my offers for some free items, he continues to use this as he was taught by his father. I am tempted to try this but do not need another item in my bath closet,

crackstar likes this.
  5. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I use the Noxzema Skin Cream or Rite Aid's generic equivalent on my face as a prep along with a hot towel. Do this while in the shower. Gets the beard in fine shape for a BBS shave.

Never used it as a shave cream. Don't know that I would want to with all the other fine creams and soaps out there. Even if this would be much cheaper. You really only get what you pay for.

EnglishChannel and crackstar like this.
  6. aubug

aubug Member

I use Noxema instead of Proraso preshave works just as good but the menthol is not quite as strong. I use various soaps or creams over it.

7. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Used The Noxzema

Worked great. Didn't lather up more with the brush as I thought it would. But yet did not need a huge gob of it either. Brush did work wonderfully to one, distribute it evenly over my face using a side to side painting motion, wait about three seconds for the hairs to stand up, and two, the brush (VDH Boar) added water to the cream to combine both cream and water into a very moist, invigorating lubricant (as opposed to a lather) that made my ball-end tech glide over my face almost effortlessly. Only drawback that I see is that you have to rinse your brush thoroughly with a lot of hot water to clean it out. To some this may be a bit of an annoyance, but its worth it to me considering how smooth my face was after using it to shave. Of course, different brushes, razors, blades, faces, may have different reactions to the cream, so I would recommend using a rather cheap brush, if you have one to start out. You may love it or hate it. Again, as is mentioned on here, YMMV. If anyone does try it here please post as I'm curious what your results were.:D

Keithmax and crackstar like this.
  8. Sparafucile

Sparafucile Member

Yes, he's right! I was a barber back in the 60s, and that's how we'd prep the customer's face. After wiping the face and neck with the towel to remove the Noxema, we'd put on a pre-shave, then lather.

It's meant to clean the skin; it's not a pre-shave, nor a shaving cream - it's a "cold cream". It was popular in the 50s as a face wash among teen-agers.

It's nothing like Proraso Pre-shave, not even a bad substitute!

Keithmax and crackstar like this.
  9. Baron'sShave

Baron'sShave New Member

I have used the big dark blue tub recently as a shave and I liked it but as Serge D says I am going to use it to clean my shaving area during the shower and then when I get out immediately shave with something really nice. One of the best out there is Kiels shaving cream. Love it but expensive. The big blue tub has suprisingly help me to heal some cuts on my arms though. Some family members swear by the old big blue Noxzema.

10. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

BTDT.. but won't be doing it again.

I still keep the tub in the medicine cabinet for nostalgic reasons.

11. paydepst

paydepst Member

Like Sparafucile says there are a few that try using it as a pre-shave but it doesn't quite hit the same mark as Proraso Pre/Post and that is speaking from personal experience.

12. Emonie

Emonie New Member

I just literally meet someone. I was curious and wanted to know what happened with his skin. He said when he was 14 he didn't know any better. He used noxzema in replace of a shaving cream and burned the hell out of his face like he probably had open scars he is now 45. I'm a female and just my opinion I would use shaving cream that's what it's for. Any advice to get his skin to maybe come back normal yikes it look like it hurts:(

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I tried it as a pre-shave but I never used it to actually shave.

14. James Markardt

James Markardt New Member

I've been shaving my head bald 1 x a week for 18 years! Hot shower then lather up with original noxema best shave also recommend Gillette Mach 3!

15. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I have used it as a preshave also,but I believe that Brothers(Gary) has actually shaved with it and posted good results as well.

16. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I regularly use either Noxzema, a generic cold cream, or some kind of shave butter as a pre-shave, then face lather with my shave soap.

Makes for a good, close shave and leaves my face smooth and hydrated.

Noxzema has a nice menthol tingle, but nothing special about the smell. Other products are better in that regard.

Keithmax likes this.
  17. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive never heard of someone using it as an actual shaving cream. Ive heard of some using it as a preshave and Im sure its good for that, as it will do a great job of washing any dirt and oil off of your beard.

18. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

It works great for shaving. You just don't want to use a large amount of it otherwise it won't rinse easily from your razor.

Clayton

19. tdw

tdw New Member

Noxema used to market a jar of what they labeled as a brushless shave cream. In appearance, the jar looked the same as a jar of regular Noxema except for the labeling. I used it off and on but never compared the two products side by side. It felt soothing on the face especially when I had a bit of razor burn but it did clog a razor quickly. It must be over thirty years since I have seen it for sale.