Using strop paste and cromium oxide

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Sir.$-Mad, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

I'm shopping for my strop but I had a question. Is using strop paste of cromium oxide really a neccessity? I've watched a lot of videos on how to use a strop, some had the paste on, some didn't.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Never used pastes for my regular day-to-day stropping needs.
    I did make a separate hard felt strop used with chromium oxide paste to see what it did to the edge.
    My own findings left me with the impression it wasn't worth the extra effort to go the paste routes. If a blade needed a touch up, I'd prefer to use a stone finisher.
    So are pastes a necessity? I don't think so.
    Some folks use them with regularity and enjoy the results. Overall, its my opinion you'll be just fine with regular stropping on decent leather for maintaining the edge or an occasional touch-up on a barber's hone or finisher.

Spud, bdalemauger and ARGH like this.
  3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I ordered my first straight and two boards. One is a cheap strop with black English Bridle and the other is a plain balsa board coated with chromium oxide. I thought that might do me for learning on. I watched a lot of videos by Lynn Abrams and I guess that's why I thought pastes were necessary. When do you think I should buy honing stones? I plan on sending the razor back for a home at first. The board strop is an inexpensive one to learn on. I will upgrade later on. What's your thoughts on paddles vs hanging strops?