Valobra Crema di Sapone Purissima shaving soap review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Shaver X, Apr 12, 2014.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Except for Pils my experience with German soaps has been very good!

TheFiveO likes this.
  2. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed about the Valobra Almond is that it doesn't smell anything like an almond at all, lol. It has more of a clay/fresh soap scent to it. I don't mind it at all actually - smells great and it doesn't linger. A fantastic performer to boot.

3. Legend In My Spare Time

Another great shave with Valobra. This lather is amazingly light on my skin, but provides supreme protection, slickness, and cushion.

And I just realized this formula doesn't have any tallow. I bought it thinking it did, lol. I honestly had no idea a non-tallow soap could perform this well. Wow.

crackstar likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Non tallow soaps can and do perform just as well as tallow soaps. I suspect that the "herp dur, tallow is King, long live tallow" crowd is biased for two simple reasons.

1. Most tallow based soap brands have been around for a long time. In most cases, they have had decades to refine their formulas. Non tallow (vegan soap) manufacturers, for the most part, are new kids on the block.

2. Many famous brands went from tallow to vegan formulas, AoS (Art of Shaving), Trumper's, etc.

...and the new formulas are not nearly as good as the old tallow soaps.

However, there are exceptions. Saponifico Varisino is one. I believe they are on version 4.3 of their vegan shave soap recipe, and it easily matches any tallow soap I've used.
    And now I've got a new soap I want to try.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I have tried Spieck and Maurer (Tabac and Irish Moos) and found both very enjoyable. I am on the fence in regards to Tabac scent. Who'd you recommend next?

6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

These soaps have worked very well for me, in case you have not tried them yet:

Institut Karite
    Sego Lily Shaving Soap
    The Soap Opera Himalaya Shaving Soap

Kiss My Face cream is both widely available and affordable. It works great and comes in a variety of scents.

Please be aware that there is a ten dollar surcharge levied on The Soap Opera shipments. The soap is inexpensive, and is a good value if you order three or more pucks at a time. Otherwise, it is pricey.

Zykris and crackstar like this.
  7. Legend In My Spare Time

I absolutely love my Cella. It was my first soap and performs with the best of them.

But, I'm going to have to give Valobra Almond a performance rating slightly better than Cella. Amazingly easy to produce high quality lather.

Zykris likes this.
  8. andyr

andyr Member

I am using the Valobra Menthol soap. It cushions great. It does not give a thick lather, but where I live (San Diego, CA) has very hard water.

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

A penguin that speaks Italian. Hmmmm, Penguin Parmigiana!

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yeah, 'cuz there just isn't enough fat and cholesterol in the meat, right?

RetLEO-07 likes this.