Van Der Hagen at Walgreens

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RetLEO-07, Feb 4, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

So, I was out running errands. Stopped into Walgreens just to see if there was anything interesting shave related. Lo and behold, VDH has come out with a long handle version of their DE razor. $19.99 and it's yours. Still has the same five crappy blades though. Thought y'all might be interested. FNG's with big hands take note. Might make a good starter kit razor. Happy Saturday people!

2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Might not be a bad snag

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. Opie

Opie Member

I have seen this one too. I wish Walgreen's would carry some better blades. All they have where I am are the VDH blades that are so terrible. I get one shave out of them before they are unusable, and I only shave my neck. I only use them when I can't get my hands on anything else though.

4. RetLEO-07

Bed Bath & Beyond carries Wilkinson Sword Classic(black case). Local supermarkets here in NJ have their brand of blades that I think are Israeli.

Opie likes this.
  5. Shadesfanclub

Shadesfanclub Member

I'm not sure about your neighborhood, but Wal-Mart usually carries a line of Van Der Hagen products as well. Honestly they are not my favorite, but when I first started out I used the Van Der Hagen blades for quite a while to try and hone my skills, and create some consistency, before jumping into a blade trial phase. At least you know that if you are going to start with Van Der Hagens you are more than likely not going to filet your face while trying to figure out what you are doing. I think too ofter newbies that want to dive head long into this hobby want to move on too quickly to a big blade sample pack looking for their blade when what they really need is some time with some training wheel. I know this sounds pretty condescending, and egotistical. But, I have been at this for about a year and a half, and still learning, and getting better with every shave. My lower neck is like the skin of a toddler, and I am just now figuring out how not to get as much irritation and ingrown hairs. I am not speaking out of a place of self riotousness, but rather someone who has made some mistakes, and at one point almost gave up. But, so glad I didn't. I actually prefer the look of a four to five day beard growth, but love the way it fells and smells to be baby butt smooth.

6. RetLEO-07

If you start with VDH blades, the only way to go is up!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It is a fine starter razor.

8. Dapper-in-a-can-man

It's just a long handle Weishi, yeah?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

I would think so

10. Dapper-in-a-can-man

I truly enjoyed my Weishi

11. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Sorry, but considering the price of those VDH blades, there is nothing wrong with trying something else. Does that mean jump right to a feather? No, but if you actually look around you'll see that some stores sell more then VDH. It is also hard to get consistent if the blade you're using feels like you're scraping half your face off and want to quit.

And this coming from a guy who has been into DE wet shaving for like 8 months, and started on Merkur blades before deciding to try the Astra, which feel a whole lot more better on my face, which allows me to work on being consistent.