Van Yulay-Very Dissapointed

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Bobcat, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I finally ordered a Van Yulay soap: Oh Baby! It is one of her vegan formulas.

Scent:
    Tobacco, Italian Bergamot, Apple, Pineapple, Rose, Oud Wood EO, Birch, Moroccan Jasmine, Patchouli, Musk, Oak moss, Ambergris, Vanilla.

Ingredients:
    Made with Aloe Vera, Stearic Acid, Coconut Fatty Acids, Palm Stearic, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Coconut-Grapeseed-Babassu-Argan-Oils, Extracts, BTMS, Poly Quats, Allantoin, Silica, Liquid Silk, Kaolin Clay, and Fragrance.

I used it this morning. Sadly, this is one soap I won’t use again. I usually give each soap at least two shaves. The scent is good, a woody tobacco aroma. The problem is, that while it lathers easily, the lather “slimed” my razor, brush, and sink. My razor became very slippery in my hand, almost dangerous. It was coated with an oily coating. At the end of my shave, my sink was like I rubbed hand lotion on it. I am most concerned for my brush and won’t subject another brush to this soap. There are many Van Yulay formulas. I obviously chose the wrong one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review; I hate it was a disappointment.

9nein9, TobyC and Bobcat like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Thanks for the review, Bob. Sounds like one to stay away from. I hate gunk on my brushes.

9nein9, TobyC and Bobcat like this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Ouch! I would wash out the brush with a cleaner soap, several times. Thanks for the heads-up!

Bobcat and 9nein9 like this.
  5. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

the tallow formulas are real performers, IMHO...

Bobcat likes this.
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Strange, I didn't get that sort of residue left over on my gear with her soap. I'll be vigilant in the next vegan soap of hers. Just to be sure.

Bobcat likes this.
  7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great review.

Bobcat likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Sounds like a vinegar wash is in that brush's future.

PickledNorthern and Bobcat like this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Nothing worse that a slippery fat boy.

Herm

PickledNorthern and Bobcat like this.
  10. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

romance novel soap covers probably wont go over well in my house. but great review. i have a few of their soaps and like them however i just got black cavendish. first time i got a soap and almost wanted to puke. i am a big fan of tobacco scents however this one smells like an ashtray. i cant even bring myself to take it home i have left it at the office and i have sniffed it over the last few days to see if i will change my mind. at this point i am not even motivated to try it. the matching as is even worse to my nose.

Bobcat likes this.
  11. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Weird.

I have "The Gentle Sauvage" shave soap from Van Yulay and the brush I use for it is the same one I use for my Dolce & Gabbana The One soap and the Van Yulay never left any residue behind like you're describing. Certainly it is a soap that is rich in moisturizers, but no more than the creams that I have (Catie's Bubbles croaps and Old Spice shave cream). I would contact Van Yulay and let them know about this and find out if they made a mistake on a batch or something. The soap I have of theirs performed top notch for me. Sad to hear about your experience on that one.

Edit....I wanted to add though that their aftershave is very oily and not really my style. The soap was great, but the aftershave is not my taste. I prefer the more classic alcohol-splash with a tiny bit of menthol and a very small amount of skin conditioners in the blend. Classic splashes are so much better than the super oily aftershaves some vendors make.

For instance aftershave splashes from Country Club for Men/Fine/PAA > Van Yulay/Ginger's Garden.

Somewhere in the middle is a 'tolerable' splash from Catie's Bubbles that is 'decent' but missing that great "wake me up" sting, but seems to make up for it with the touch of menthol and good scents that Chris Cullen makes.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Str8 Shaver and Bobcat like this.
  12. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

Bob - I hate doing this as I know small businessmen work hard. But I also had the same issue - I do not like the Clay base and I got a soap of the gods and it was SO PERFUMEY and smelled like my daughters cheap "one direction" perfume for 8 yar old girls.

I read a review about Achilles and I liked the label and the reviewer turned me on to a good soap once - like a moron I got the soap, balm, splash and cologne - NONE OF IT used - just the soap for one pass - I am selling it when I get time

Bobcat likes this.