Vintage brush repair.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by wchnu, Jul 22, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hello guys. I have a small wooden handle brush that belonged to a Great Uncle of mine. I put a new knot in it a little while back.
    Here is a thread across the street about that.
    http://theoriginalsafety2.com/thread/2336/family-brush-restore

My question is how to fix the little crack in the handle. The longer looking one is actually just a stain.

My second question is how to protect the brush. It has no coating at all that I can tell. Is there away to seal it without changing the color?
    Qbrush 3.jpg 20170722_182709-1.jpg

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

If I was doing it, I'd probably use epoxy, with maybe a dab of paint with a close match to the color of the wood. Even if a color is not used, it'll still seal the crack. Let dry and lightly sand it smooth and apply a coat of something like polycrylic or similar clear coat.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks Jim.

4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

+1 on the poly and the epoxy. Both are great choices.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey and wchnu like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Apply teak oil to seal. They been using it on sail boats for many years.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Will that deepen the color like a stain?

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It will deepen the color slightly, but anything you apply will darken it slightly. It will not be as dark as a stain, think natural.

BigMark83 and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Perfect. I want to stay as close to what it is now as I can.

9. jimjo1031

Using an acrylic clear coat, as made by Microscale for modeling, won't change the color or deepen it's shade, especially the flat clear coat. The gloss coat might enhance the look of the grain, but that's it. I've used it on the brush handle for @Drygulch to conserve it so it won't degrade any more and keep it's original color. It also works great as a sealer and stays clear without yellowing.

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A hobby store might have that?

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. jimjo1031

They should. I usually put some in a used plastic bottle cap, add a couple of drops of water to thin it. This way it'll soak into the wood better and put on a few coats until you see an even finish.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will look into that !!

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Flat clear will help to keep the vintage look while sealing out water. Several coats may begin to gloss up. Most any product you apply to seal the water out will darken it to look like it's wet.
    You may wish to pull the knot so repairs and sealing clear coats might get under the knot. Being a wood handle it's going to absorb water when the knot gets wet. That might cause further cracking and will let moisture in under the repairs and clear coat on the visible areas.

BigMark83 and jimjo1031 like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Would the epoxy I used to set the knot seal the inside?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

If it was enough to ride up the sides, it should be ok. Besides, it would be a mess to take it apart once epoxied, would need another knot.

16. jimjo1031

That's one reason I like to thin it out some, soaks in and seals better and doesn't build up for any discoloration.

RyX likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good point! Getting the product to penetrate into the wood should prolong it's effectiveness. After the seal is made the rest of the product sets on the outside as a skin. Paint doesn't penetrate, but a thinned product, stain, or an oil finish can get into the wood.

jimjo1031 likes this.