Vintage Gillette equivalent of Schick Krona?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kevin K, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Hi all,

So my first foray into the vintage razor world didn't go so well. I've given up trying to fix the Tech that I picked up for cheap, although I'd like to try another Tech or any 3-piece vintage razor in the future.

I finished up my 30+ days with the Parker 90r and Shark Super Chrome blades, and while waiting for my blade sampler to arrive, I've switched to the Krona that I got from Razor Emporium. I REALLY like this razor! Even with the plastic handle, the razor seems well balanced and pretty solid. It shaves well even with Sharks!

The Krona seems to be milder than the Parker, and I experience less irritation, nicks, etc. It does seem to shave a little worse than the Parker, sometimes needing a 4th pass or minor "spot" touch ups. However even with extra passes my face is in much better shape.

So, what's the Gillette equivalent, shavewise to a Krona. Maybe something a hair more aggressive, but not much more?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I believe the Gillette Knack was the direct equivalent to the Krona. If you want something a touch more aggressive, you might try a Gillette NEW or, for a modern razor, try a Lord Tech clone.

newb likes this.
  3. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I have a knack, but haven't used it. Aside from the handle length, I find a Gillette Superspeed to be similar to a Schick Krona.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Any Gillette adjustable can be set to Krona settings, however the weight is different. The best equivalent is the Knack.

5. Kevin K

Oh Boy! I feel a case of RAD/BAD/SSAD coming on! Now I NEED: a Tech, a New, a Superspeed, a Knack, and a Lord Tech. Lets see, I'll also need 5 more blade samplers and enough soap/cream to use all the razor/blade cominations. That means more room to store stuff, so I'm gonna have to move and get a second job. LOL. Maybe I'll start slow and just get the Knack to start off with.

CarlfromMO likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Lengthwise, either the Lady Gillette or the Superadjustable/109 will match, but as Neo said, you can dial the 109 to the Krona's blade gap (which I believe is around 3).

Useless trivia of the day, before I leave for vacation: I've spotted a Schick Krona in two Hollywood productions - an episode of I SPY and (I think) it's the razor Chuck Heston is using at the start of SOYLENT GREEN. It's not exactly product placement in SOYLENT but it's unmistakable in I SPY that Bob Culp ain't using a Gillette.

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A good Super Speed is much easier to find than an equally good Knack. Many have rattle and fit issues. I would go looking around the forum for a good Super Speed first.

Switchermike likes this.
  8. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

I have a krona as well and i really think its the head shape that makes it such a great shaver. They are as some have suggested it is just as mild as a SS but the heads shape leads to a much more user friendly sweet spot on the krona.
    I looked for a knack in the past but couldn't come up with one at a decent price and gave up looking. If it ain't broke don't fix it

9. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

I have a Knack and when my face is irritated that is the razor I go to. It is the mildest razor I own. I can make a 3 pass shave and then do as much touch up as I like with no irritation. Sometimes I will use it for severl days in a row just to give my face a break. I don't like saying it but shavewise it is my favorite razor ( just because my edwin jagger's chrome is so cool) but it's true. My ugly old knack is the most gentle on my face and I always look better after using it. I'm looking for a Krona and am eagerly anticipating trying one out. I've been reading great thing about it, but just can't imagine enjoying anything more than the old blue handled Knack!

10. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

I think the Knack is a good choice to start with! And yes my name is Mike and I have a razor problem. It's so hard not to buy every old razor you find, even if you already have one. I have given my brother a couple of razors. He looked at the first one ( a Knack) like it was a snake when I gave it to him. The next day he called with the " holy crap, I can't believe you could ever get a shave like this" thing. Ahh yes, another convert!

11. Kevin K

I just missed out on a decent looking Knack on fleabay, so to console myself I bid on and won a 1958 Super Speed. It looks like the TV version in the seller's pic's. Anyway, it'll be here today or tomorrow! Yippee! Let's see, that leaves only 4 more razors on my current list, then I can collect all the gillettes from my birth year, then.... Geez, I think I caught something hangin' around this forum! ;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I couldn't resist, someone offered me a Krona and I accepted (GDCarrington.) I have a Gillette Slim ('62,) a Red Tip Super Speed (year unknown,) a '63 Super Speed, some English made 3 piece Gillette (made sometime in the 60's.)

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

R.A.D. such an uncontrollable, all consuming affliction. Always remember two questions:

How many razors do you actually need? :confused:

More importantly how many can you aquire? :happy093:

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My Superadjustable has Krona doors for a reason. A good one.

15. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Necropost, how did you do that ?

RyX likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    very-interesting-2 .jpg

BigMark83 likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Knack sucks on every level, its build quality stinks, and its too mild to be of use to anyone over 12. It is no Krona. I've had a number of Superspeeds, they're beautiful pieces but didn't find any as enjoyable to use as the Schick.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Eeyore and gorgo2 like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Jmudrick, please don't take offense, but when I see a blanket statement like that I immediately desire to go out and try one.

I will say, I presently own a Krona (gray, eagle on end version) and enjoy it very much. That said I've also owned a later model Krona (plastic end) in near new condition, I thought was a good reason why Schick stopped making them. It jammed and had all the weight of a disposable; I sold it.
    I enjoy Super Speeds and have used them of all eras (1941 to the early 70's). If you go by what I own to what I like better; twelve Super Speeds to two Kronas.

Each to their own opinion, but now I need to buy a Knack. :D

BigMark83 and gorgo2 like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

All said (slightly) tongue in cheek, my attitude is indeed try everything and judge for yourself. Obviously all opinions are the posters' own, I don't see the need to insert an annoying if polite YMMV into every post.

No doubt the Super Speeds are superbly built, my comparison was to the Knack. Build doesn't deliver a shave however, and I prefer the Krona shave.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Enrico likes this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I always find it funny, how people can look at the same thing and come away with differing thoughts (and I'm glad for it). I was told when I first got in to vintage razors, I was told this was the best or that was the best. Well I tried them out and found (many, many times)... they didn't work for me. I have found some of the least expensive razors, please me the most. Some of my favorites are the Tech (pre war), Super Speed, Mono Tech, Krona and German Travel razors. I also am willing to try most any razor out. It keeps life interesting.

RyX and jmudrick like this.