Vintage Safety Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by VonDutch68, Nov 9, 2014.

1. VonDutch68

VonDutch68 Member

Where do you guys find your vintage razors? I have an old Schick Krona and a new Merkur 1904/1906 but I'd like to slowly build a collection of older DE razors.

Boojum1 likes this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I don't have any antique shops or flea markets near me, so for me it's Ebay.

Boojum1 likes this.
  3. VonDutch68

VonDutch68 Member

I have been looking at Ebay, it seems like it would be the easiest place to look.

Boojum1 and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've also found a few good deals on Etsy.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The top four places to find vintage razors are, according to me;

a) eBay - due to sheer volume,
    b) Etsy - a total hit or miss as items are either priced very high...or very low,
    c) Bonanza.com - probably the least well known online source for vintage razors but you can find some really rare things here for a low price,
    d) Rubylane - worth checking into once a week or so to see what has been added

6. VonDutch68

VonDutch68 Member

I was really surprised looking at Ebay at how many people are bidding on old razors. I guess it shows popular wet shaving is becoming or has become.

Boojum1 and GDCarrington like this.
  7. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I have gotten the best deals at local antique shops usually.

EBay usually goes too high for me and is a lot of stress. Antiquing is more enjoyable usually. For me anyways

And craigslist. I love that site

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Boojum1, VonDutch68 and SRNewb like this.
  8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I've found mine on this very forum from friendly members, also from Etsy. I've never gotten one from eBay - way too expensive shipping for me, as most are in US.

Also I got one locally.

I don't really collect vintage anymore. Prices have skyrocketed like madness. Only once in a while do I get one from my trusty "dealer", as he don't overcharge.

VonDutch68 and youngunn like this.
  9. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

For me the fact that it has skyrocketed makes it even more fun to collect, the hunt for cheap deals on great stuff is like a drug for me.

Boojum1, tuxxdk and VonDutch68 like this.
  10. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yeah it's fun when one can scoop a cheap specimen :)

youngunn likes this.
  11. VonDutch68

VonDutch68 Member

I have been watching Ebay today and holy crap, the bids do get a bit high.

Bama Samurai and youngunn like this.
  12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Antique stores and/or second-hand shops.
    Once in awhile an antique fair or maybe a flea market.
    I bought a few online but had my credit card compromised so that ended that.

youngunn and Boojum1 like this.
  13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My best results, by far, have been from estate sales. For less than $50 I've found a New Standard, 2 Slims, a Black Beauty, 2 unbranded OC's and a couple brushes. Next would be flea markets, then antique shops and lastly eBay. EBay has the best selection, but the highest prices.

14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Ebay has been my primary source with the Badger and Blade - Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade my other source.

15. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Antique stores. Flea markets

16. VonDutch68

VonDutch68 Member

How do you find out about estate sales? I know they can be good places to find pipes as well.

17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Local paper here lists them with the garage sales. Also some local auctioneers have online sales along with the real estate they're selling. My latest find was a local online estate auction.

VonDutch68 likes this.
  18. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Ebay, online vendors like Razor Emporium and Bob's Razors. There's lot's of others.

VonDutch68 likes this.
  19. VonDutch68

VonDutch68 Member

I will check out the news paper. Thanks for the info!

20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've obtained most of my razors from ebay. The selection is greater, but so are the prices. However if your willing to put in the hunting time, I've gotten some pretty good deals. My next best hunting ground has been antique shops. Finding a razor you really want can be hit or miss there, but if you do find one the prices are usually VERY reasonable. I've not yet tried an estate sale or auction other than ebay..:happy088:

VonDutch68 likes this.