Warmth

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by jr2, May 20, 2016.

1. jr2

jr2 Active Member

this might sound trivial, but what is the best way to keep you lather warm? I am very curious to hear different ways. I don't have much in this department. Just heating up the dish before hand, but gets cool quickly.

Sassybee and AGHisBBS like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

you could do a scuttle with water reservoir. But I just had an idea of using a coffee cup hot plate:signs002:

whiteboy_cannon and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Not sure if those are the electric ones you speak of. I'd be reluctant, if there is live current around, to have the thing anywhere near water. Scuttles are nice and do work well. Personally I just run some really hot water into my ceramic bowl before lathering...

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  4. jr2

jr2 Active Member

Hot plate idea is good thinking, but I'm with slipperyjoe on that. There tends to be a lot of water around. I have been thinking about a scuttle just wasn't too sure how well they stay warm. I heat my dish up with hot water prior as well. By the second pass, though, it's cool. There is nothing like the first application and all is nice and warm.

whiteboy_cannon and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I've done both a scuttle and electric coffee cup warmer. I didn't have running water around, because I would simply wipe my blade clean on a damp towel (straight razor).

The lather does stay warm, but some soaps break down faster and the lather is just not as stable.

It's a nice luxury, but I prefer cold water shaves to help minimize irritation.

45auto, whiteboy_cannon, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. jr2

jr2 Active Member

So on the cold water shave. I have had a lot of people tell me cold water reduces irritation. Is that so for the masses? Never tried it.

7. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

It does for me, very noticeable difference in the level of irritation

8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1

9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

A good ceramic scuttle will hold the heat well. If you have sufficiently hot water from the tap, fill the chamber and bowl with hot water and let it sit to warm up the scuttle for a few minutes, then dump all the water and refil the chamber. Leave your brush in the bowl between passes and you'll have luxuriously warm lather for your entire shave. There are also smaller brush scuttles that are made for resting the brush in after making your lather in another bowl or face lathering. As others have said, if you get the scuttle too hot, some soaps can start to break down. My tap water is not that hot. ( I have kids so I keep the water heater temp down.) I use a programmable electric kettle to heat my water to the temp I like.

ob1page likes this.
  10. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

You can keep the cold water shave, as I had enough of that in the Army. Occasionally I've "had" to use cold water, and I hated it. YMMV. Now if you want to get hot water and a hot mug for your shave, without using a scuttle, this is what I do. I first wash my face with soap and a hot washcloth. I fill the basin with hot water and place my shaving mug in it on the washcloth, filling the mug with hot water as well. I let that sit while I brush my teeth in the other basin. I don't soak my brushes anymore I just run a little hot tap water on them before I use them. I empty the mug out and place a dollop of cream in the mug and whip it up. Nice warm lather!! Enjoy :eatdrink047:

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Gotta go scuttle for warm lather. I have one from George Town Pottery.

I can't stand cold water shaving - causes too much tugging for me. You have to try it, though, to know if you'll like it or not.

whiteboy_cannon and tuxxdk like this.
  12. jr2

jr2 Active Member

Fo
    Interesting method. Especially if you have to ration water. Why don't you soak the brushes anymore?

whiteboy_cannon and ObiDon like this.
  13. jr2

jr2 Active Member

The tugging is what I thought may happen with cold water. Which also led me to think there would be more irritation with cold. I normally shave directly after I shower, but willing to give it a go this weekend. Trile by fire.

whiteboy_cannon and ob1page like this.
  14. Robyflexx

I'm sorry but if anyone has problems with tugging it's not gonna be caused by cold water, it simply means your blades suck. :)

15. jr2

jr2 Active Member

You don't think stiffness of hair plays a factor?

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  16. 211bma

211bma Active Member

I have a dirty bird brush scuttle that used to keep my lather nicely warm, that is until I started shaving with cold water. I really should sell it to someone who will use it. [​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
    That is it with my Duke 3 in it for scale.

17. Robyflexx

Stiffness is exactly what i want in hair so it will slice off easier and completely. We have articles on that here. Hot water, warm water, luke warm water all softens the whiskers causing some of them to bend under your blade, plus ask me if i miss a red swollen face....

18. jr2

jr2 Active Member

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. Robyflexx

It is and everyone has to find what works for them brother but the earlier statement from another member saying cold water makes blades drag is just absurd. :rolleyes:

whiteboy_cannon and White731 like this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©