Was Given One Feather Blade To Try! What To Expect???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by seagiant, Apr 28, 2015.

1. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    I decided to go back to a DE razor after 20 years with a Trac II!

Bought a Merkur 38C and 125 Crystal blades to start out.

I've always used a brush and mug soap so that was covered already.

Got to talking with a co worker and found he used a Merker also but liked the Feather blades.

He gave me one to day and it is loaded and ready to go in the morning!

Just wondering what to expect coming from a Crystal and loving them!!!

wristwatchb likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not to sound flip, but it's just another blade. It's sharp and designed to cut. You might like it, you might not. That's the nature of razor blades.

Sara-s, Albert Hui and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I love feather blades in some DEs, and hate them in others. Its such a YMMV thing.

Rustty likes this.
  4. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I first put a Feather in my Murker 34c last May after trying other blades first, and being a little afraid of them based on their reputation. I will occasionally try other blades now, but Feathers are my go to blade in all of my razors. I use a very light touch letting the razor do the work. Give them a try, but as they say YMMV.

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I find them sharp and smooth up to third use. After three uses I find them to cause severe tugging and irritation.
    You may have a different experience. If I want a bbs shave, I'll use a feather.

ObiDon likes this.
  6. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    Thanks Gentlemen!

I'll be honest,I'm quite happy with my Crystals!

The Feathers would have to impress me to switch!

The Crystals are also 2/3 the price of the Feathers!

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I have only used Feather DE blades. They provide great shaves for me, but there was a learning curve. I like them so well now that I have purchased a few pounds of them. :)

IMO, you might try a few Feathers (or any DE blade for that matter) before you decide whether they are going to work for you. I second Don's comment about using a very light touch and letting the razor do the work. I hope you like them. Keep us posted!

ObiDon likes this.
  8. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    I'll know in the morning!

I was also given a pack of Astra's and Blue Birds!

The Feather is going to be used first as I was told they are a little better than the Crystals and I want to see if I can see a difference???

If anyone knows about these other blades I'd be happy to listen!!!

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Astras are my go to blades. Sharp, smooth and cheap. I paid less than $10 for 100.

gorgo2 and seagiant like this.
  10. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    Thanks!!!!

Looks like I'm going to have some fun this week!!!

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Feathers are probably my favorite DE blade.

Sure, they are expensive...
    Sure, they are extremely sharp...
    Sure, they're only good for about 3 shaves...

...but since I DE shave about once every month of so, my Feathers last a good long time.

:D:p

ObiDon, Spyder and Drygulch like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Last time I tried one, it was every bit as sharp as they say but surprisingly smooth...but just too sharp for my needs. Never used another one. Nothing against them, though.

And I'm in a decided minority that actually liked Blue Birds (last time I used them, a few years back) so I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on that one.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Between the two...yup. Astra's.

14. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

My experience with Feathers are with a EJ DE87 and a black handled Gillette Super Speed. It made my Gillette quite aggressive feeling. Definitely provided a close, smooth shave. No irritation. I like them better in the DE87. It didn't feel as aggressive, but still provided the same shave. I had 3 shaves with the blades, which is my norm.

With that in mind, my favorite blades, so far, are Astra SP's and Isreali Crystals. They seem to work best in either of my razors.

I still have 8 Feathers left and will go back and try them again in a couple weeks. But for now, they haven't won me over from my Astras and Crystals. YMMV!

seagiant likes this.
  15. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    This is interesting,there seems to be a lot of love for Astra's that I wasn't aware of!

That might be even a better way to go than the Crystal as they are almost half the price (of Crystals)

and 1/3 the price of Feathers.

The way I see it is the lower the price the less you have to try to get too many shaves from one razor blade!

16. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

I've always used my blades for 3 shaves. A shave is typically 2 full passes and a 3 touch up pass for trouble areas. The only exception to that were Derby blades. They only lasted me 2 shaves and tugged on the third. I think if I pushed it, the Crystals may actually be ok for a 4th shave, but I don't want to push the envelope and get razor burn, like I did with the Derby on the 3rd shave that first time I used it.

17. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I was just about to buy some Feather blades from Amazon, $3.74 for 10 with free shipping seemed like a decent price. Then I got to the checkout page and saw the delivery estimate of 5/22-6/15 and promptly removed them from the order! Maybe one day I'll give them a try but for now, Voskhod is king. :happy088:

18. j-mt

j-mt New Member

Almost word for word where I'm at. I underlined the piece I added.

The first shave with a Feather is great. It fades fast from there.

19. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I tried the Voskhod and was not happy. The Feathers ship from Thailand so it takes about 3 weeks. I order 100 at a time. I get two three pass shaves out of them.

20. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    Well,just used the Feather Blade and I used it at the same speed shaving as the Crystal and I got some razor burn that I'm not used to?

This was a comparison.

I'll try it again tomorrow but so far not overly impressed coming from the Crystal?