Watkins "Neillite 400"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, May 2, 2015.

1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Found this nice Watkins "Neillite 400" safety razor at the farmers/flea market today. It is a black plastic razor with a metal screw thread and what looks to be a brass threaded receiver in the handle. The head has two different size scalloped edged that offer an aggressive shave on the larger scallop and a mild shave on the small scallop size.

According to two different sources I found there is some question as to where these were made.

"According to the Waits Compendium, the Neillite Four Hundred was made by James Neill & Co, Sheffield England and the Four Hundred Mfg. Co. of New York, N.Y. Waits isn't very clear on this, but it sounds like perhaps, The Four Hundred Mfg. Co. may have made the ones marked "Made in U.S.A." under license from James Neill & Co. Waits claims the trade mark was first used in 1935. Again, it isn't clear on whether this date was for the English razor or the U.S. model."

And

"Some literature uphold that Neillite items were manufactured by James Neill & Co., Ltd, Sheffield, though they are stamped 'made in USA'"

Patent information
    TM first used 1930"

Watlins Neillite 400 (1).jpg Watlins Neillite 400 (2).jpg Watlins Neillite 400 (3).jpg Watlins Neillite 400 (4).jpg

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very neat!

Misphit likes this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You might not think to look at it but one side is among the most aggressive razors, for that era anyway.

Billyfergie and Misphit like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Very very nice find

Misphit likes this.
  5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Would this be plastic or Bakelite? I found a black "plastic" razor this morning as well. I am trying to figure out how to tell Bakelite and plastic apart.

Misphit likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's a nice one. Congratulations.

Billyfergie and Misphit like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Nice find. Congrats.

Misphit likes this.
  8. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

I just picked up one of these today. Mine says Made in Germany on the end of the handle and PH on the bottom base. Other than that, been researching and looking forward to giving it a try.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also, what is the best way to bring the shine and luster back to Bakelite?

Misphit, Jim99 and Darkbulb like this.
  9. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Mustache and Drygulch like this.
  10. Christiana Simpson

Christiana Simpson New Member

I just found this Neillite safety razor . I only see Neillite made in U.S.A And the number 13 . I don't see four hundred on this razor . I can't seem to find much info . So happy I saw your forum . I'm thinkimg I found something rare since it's made in u.s.a

Attached Files:

Misphit likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A ladies' razor. Not unknown. The Four Hundred was made in USA though Neillite was a British company.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/index.php?threads/86504/

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Misphit likes this.
  12. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Neillite.JPG

13. Christiana Simpson

Thank you for your response .. im new to this forum . My father left me his huge shaving collection . So been doing research of all the straight razors and safety razor . So every info is very helpful . Again thanks a bunch .

14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing. The "Neillite 400" was an early (1930) Dual Comb. WOW!

Misphit likes this.
  15. Christiana Simpson

If i ask alot of question on old vtg wet or safety razors . Since im new to this community . I hope this is the right place for me to learn . Ok thanks . Im not asking about the ovisious . But rare and especially the straight blades like the wade amd butchers like how to identify the age .

16. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

What a neat looking razor. I love how our hobby leads us down interesting roads and makes for fascinating history. Great find...looking forward to learning more about it.

Christiana Simpson likes this.
  17. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

Very nice score. I have a Neillite 400. It shaves really well, but be careful of the aggressive side.

18. Christiana Simpson

Is this a women shaver i have ? There is no marking that states 400 only NeilLite and made in U.S.A and 13 . Thank you every one for a great welcome and been so helpful to a new beginner .

19. Christiana Simpson

So sorry just saw a few post before my reply and i see the same exact one . So please ignore last comment.

20. Christiana Simpson

Dont even know how helpful this was !! I looked every where saw only one on ebay but didnt look like the one i have . The seller wasnt to sure either it appeared wow again thanks a bunch .